A suit in 100 days ?

Turtlespoon

I won't waste your time with the boring details. Fallout T-60 armour - Rush project, thoughts?

I have approximately 110 days until an upcoming event, and I aim to get a full, heavy suit completed by then. I have some experience in prop making but I've never finished a full suit, now I have a deadline it's given me the push I need to tackle this project. The undersuit is basically ready to go, and the paint job is a very simple one, so it's the actual armour construction that I need to get done within the 100 days. Construction will be 90% EVA foam.

I'm just curious if you guys think this is possible?

It might be worth noting that I am prepared to overlook any inaccuracies and cosmetic flaws if it means getting it completed in time. I have all of next year to correct any little mistakes I make, I just want an average quality suit that is recognisable and completed within the next 4 months.

Is it possible? Am I getting my hopes too high? Any opinion is appreciated.

EDIT:
Been browsing around today, and I've found a few things that could speed the process up significantly.

First off is American Football Shoulderpads. This is a cheap pair for £20 but they don't need to be functional. It gives me a great base for starting off, my armour strapping can be added from here. Plus I don't have to wrap myself in heat-insulating foam to make myself seem "thicker". This should do the job nicely while keeping ventilated. The chest piece and the backpack should attach to this quite easily with some well placed clips & velcro. Just to be clear I'll still be making the T-60 shoulderpads that will hang over the top of these, so barely any of it will be showing.

Second is Gardeners Shinguards. They are only £10, and while they are only armoured on the front, the backs of the T-60 shinguards are the least detailed part of the entire suit, so adding an extension to these will be a piece of cake, as would adding any details with foam. It will do nicely for the 100 day rush, and I'll probably make real shinguards after the convention.

I'll look into similar ideas for the gloves, and maybe a bit more, but there's only so much armour that can be used in sports I guess. I still want to have made most of this aha.

Last edited:
Re: A suit in 100 days?

GhostMinion might be able to help you as he has a thread going about Fallout props

I'm in the same seat. I have 120days untill my upcoming event here in my town and never made anything. My eyes is set on the Iron Man suit and I'm and begining for real now on the suit with the chest. My girlfriend has offered her help, so maybe she want a suit too after she sees minehaha :)
But I don't know, I wanna make something from WoW with a weapon in my hand. Maybe for a 2nd project tho :p

I don't know how much time you have? I work 7-16 then gym, usally free time 19-23
So I will be working on some days and on weekends maybe a whole day

Good luck, looking forward to see the result!

I'm in the same seat. I have 120days untill my upcoming event here in my town and never made anything. My eyes is set on the Iron Man suit and I'm and begining for real now on the suit with the chest. My girlfriend has offered her help, so maybe she want a suit too after she sees minehaha :)
But I don't know, I wanna make something from WoW with a weapon in my hand. Maybe for a 2nd project tho :p

I don't know how much time you have? I work 7-16 then gym, usally free time 19-23
So I will be working on some days and on weekends maybe a whole day

Good luck, looking forward to see the result!
Not sure about you, but It's MCM London that I'm trying to get it done in time for, what about you?

Yeah my girlfriend is very artsy, and after seeing me make a PipBoy from nothing but some foam scraps she's really interested. She's also offered to help with my suit, and if we have time I'll make her a Vault jumpsuit from Fallout, give her the PipBoy to wear and a toy magnum I've got lying around and she'll be all wastelanded up for a convention. xD

Not that it's too important, but I work 5pm-10pm mon-fri so I actually have a decent amount of funds & spare time to put into this.

I think anything is possible in 100 days, it just depends how good you want it to look. Best thing is to not worry about it being dead accurate, just make it recognisable and rush a little bit, once you've experienced an awesome con, and figured out all the faults and flaws with your current design you can go home and work on it, correct it, and make it amazing for next time.

I admire your ambition! I finished my Spacemarine in under 3 months, so I imagine you could do the same.
Measure twice, cut once!
Good luck!

I admire your ambition! I finished my Spacemarine in under 3 months, so I imagine you could do the same.
Measure twice, cut once!
Good luck!
Just checked it out, holy hell is that cool, and only 3 months? Jeez.

This has given me some hope, thanks for that. :)

Something I found very helpful is buying large sheets of foam, (found here: http://www.thefoamfactory.com/closedcellfoam/cross-linked-polyethylene-foam.html ) This will avoid having to glue multiple sheets of foam together, as well as avoiding the diamond pattern found on one side.

I used this stuff to build my space marine and found it very easy to work with. As always, use a brand new razor (buy in bulk from harbor freight if you can) and change them out the moment you feel any resistance. I find that contact cement gives the best adherence, some people claim hot glue is best. I found that hot glue beaded up on the surface of the foam, making extra work for myself.

Look up Evil Ted on Youtube. He has some great tips for getting eva foam to behave.

Good luck!

Something I found very helpful is buying large sheets of foam, (found here: http://www.thefoamfactory.com/closedcellfoam/cross-linked-polyethylene-foam.html ) This will avoid having to glue multiple sheets of foam together, as well as avoiding the diamond pattern found on one side.

I used this stuff to build my space marine and found it very easy to work with. As always, use a brand new razor (buy in bulk from harbor freight if you can) and change them out the moment you feel any resistance. I find that contact cement gives the best adherence, some people claim hot glue is best. I found that hot glue beaded up on the surface of the foam, making extra work for myself.

Look up Evil Ted on Youtube. He has some great tips for getting eva foam to behave.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! Know of any foam suppliers like that in the UK?

Rats. I read right over the top of that. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Ill be be watching your progress!

Not sure about you, but It's MCM London that I'm trying to get it done in time for, what about you?

Yeah my girlfriend is very artsy, and after seeing me make a PipBoy from nothing but some foam scraps she's really interested. She's also offered to help with my suit, and if we have time I'll make her a Vault jumpsuit from Fallout, give her the PipBoy to wear and a toy magnum I've got lying around and she'll be all wastelanded up for a convention. xD

Not that it's too important, but I work 5pm-10pm mon-fri so I actually have a decent amount of funds & spare time to put into this.

I think anything is possible in 100 days, it just depends how good you want it to look. Best thing is to not worry about it being dead accurate, just make it recognisable and rush a little bit, once you've experienced an awesome con, and figured out all the faults and flaws with your current design you can go home and work on it, correct it, and make it amazing for next time.

Ye its the same thing but in my town Malmö, Sweden. Comic Con Malmö powered by MCM.
Funds ain't problem here either, time is mostly.

I'm almost finished with chest, turned out way better than excepcted. Improving my gluing and cutting mountain and valleys
11714267_10155770598310581_1000541924_n.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back