A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Mister Rogers) (Post-release)

What did you think of A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood?

• It was disappointing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

firesprite

Master Member
I know there's a lot of love for Mister Rogers on this forum, so I'm a little surprised I didn't find a thread for this already. Mods, please feel free to merge if I missed it!

The trailer for the movie just went live this morning, and it's a shot straight to the childhood feels for me...

Lady Elaine scared the crap out of me as a child.

The stuff of nightmares...

8EFDE430-A3BF-4FB4-8604-4534D47AE1E7.jpeg

Tom Hanks does not make a very good Mr. Rogers.

Making me think of some other PBS shows that were similar to Mr. Rogers. One has been bugging me for years. They were puppets, rabbits maybe? But one had built a toy robot that had walked into and broken something. The solution was to make the robot only walk backwards. I think the host was female and the show was filmed in her attic? Crazy.

It may be a very well made movie with a heart warming story, but I just can't get past Tom Hanks as Fred Rogers. As good as he is in other performances, somehow it just comes off as an unfunny SNL sketch.
Same here. His voice is too deep for one thing and it’s obvious he has trouble keeping that tone/mannerism. I actually think I’m more apt to critique this movie than any Star Wars movie flaw lol. For me it’s like someone impersonating my parent and it’s not sitting well with me since he helped raise me in a sense.

Why do we need this? There's already an excellent documentary that tells the exact same story with the REAL Mr. Rogers.
The documentary is fantastic and a great testament to the power of the individual, it gives me so much hope knowing he was a republican because you can't pigeon-hole any part of society which is what he was all about :) beautiful. #nopolitics.

Last edited:
Hmmm....I thought they would delve deeper into Fred Roger’s prior career as a covert assassin whose call sign was “King Friday” and whose code for the successful assassination of enemy combatants was “giving them a one-way trolly ride to the World of Make Believe”.

Last edited:
Love me some Fred Rogers. I've worn a sweater/jacket every day since he passed to honor him, he meant that much to me (and also because they're very comfortable).

I won't knock a movie without having seen it but there's a worry that this will be too saccharine sweet and well...sappy. And that's off-putting for me.

His exploits in Pattaya are legendary!

Hmmm....I thought they would delve deeper into Fred Roger’s prior career as a covert assassin whose call sign was “King Friday” and whose code for the successful assassination of enemy combatants was “he’s taking the trolly to the World of Make Believe”.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back