41" excelsior by lunar models

I wouldn't mind a 1/350 Klingon Bird of Prey...the next model Polar Lights should have done. I like to see that good guys and the bad guys in the same scale.

ohhhh, I want one.
Figures it would be rare by the time i want it, and it even sounds like a decent price. I would be OK with the $100-150 range for something that size. :D

I have one I started in 1989 and gave up gathering dust in my model box. Well it doesn't actually fit in the box, too big. I have several ST ships from back then, even a resin Nomad. pypr@bornagain.com

I've got the Lunar Excelsior if anyone is interested in it.The guy who was suppose to buy it from me flaked,so its up for grabs if anyone is interested?

I know somebody thought the original shooting miniature of the Excelsior was 10' long.

It's shorter than the Enterprise Refit shooting model. A lot smaller and lighter. It might have been all of 6 feet long but definitey NOT 8' let alone 10'.

It doesn't exist in original form because of the parts glued on to turn it into the Enterprise-B (which made an acceptable but not great design fugly). The parts just couldn't be removed without damaging the original Excelsior model so a smaller version with slightly different lighting was made for the Voyager STVI flashback episode.

Anyhow, from all I've read the Excelsior model was altered BEFORE Star Trek Generation for ST VI. They put in a new bridge module and two smaller impulse deflection crystals. It originally had a larger single crystal but they doubled for ST VI. The exact changes in the shape and size of the bridge I'm not so sure about...

Of course, most of us are familiar with the greebly crap added for Generations... the pontoons on the sides of the deflector dish, the extra-sized additional impulse engines' area, the small additions forward and aft on the warp nacelles.

As less-than-wowed as I was by the original Excelsior design, the additions put on for the E-B were awful. The reasoning for them was bad, too. It was done all in the service for TNG continuity which makes no freakin' sense. The TNG producers basically wanted the E-B to look more like the E-D and that's the only reason the model was so drastically altered. I think they also wanted to alter the E-B enough so that it didn't look like Sulu's ship. Hollywood really overthinks these things and thinks that all of us in the audience are morons...

The Excelsior grew on me.I wasn't sure about it when I first saw it.It had such brief screen time, you never really got a good,close look at it.I didn't mind the minor alterations done to it for ST VI. While I didn't hate the Enterprise B,I didn't "love it" either. I was never a big fan of the Enterprise D and there were things I both like and didn't like about the Enterprise C design.I liked the Enterprise E,except for the rediculous changes done to it for the last Next Generation film,but then again...I didn't care for the last Next Generation film much anyway. Honestly, I'm still a big fan of the re-fit/Andrew Probert re-design of the Enterprise. As with all things, some like it,some don't.The filming miniature itself was a work of art.I don't think I've ever seen as pristine of a paint job put on another filming miniature since then, and when ILM got ahold of it for STII they destroyed the pearlescent finish and thus it has been re-painted&re-detailed three times over since then to my knowledge.

I LOVE The Excelsior!!!!! To have in 1:350 would be a dream, but i'd settle for the Lunar kit.....also, i hate what they did to her to make the lumpy, ugly Enterprise B.....

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back