3d modeling Doctor Strange's Sling Rings, Kaecilius, Kamar-Taj, etc for cast metal

zenix

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just got back from the IMAX 3D screening of Doctor Strange and I just have to have the ring! I'm finishing up modeling it now. There are still some things to tweak, but I wanted to share my progress! I'll most likely be making this in cast bronze and gold plating it. Kaecilius's ring is much more ornate and I plan on starting that one too shortly.

I recorded a video of me doing the 3D modeling which is rendering right now, so I'll post that shortly. For now, here's some pics!

untitled.16.jpguntitled.17.jpgCapture.PNG

Last edited:
Re: 3d modeling Doctor Strange's Sling Ring for cast metal

I will definitely be interested in your model of Kaecilius' ring - please keep me updated!! :)

Will do!

There's three different styles of rings I've found. The on screen one that everyone at Kamar-Taj has, there's the Kaecilius ring, and then there's one you can see on the Doctor Strange costume, attached to his clothing, which has some different details on the top and side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 3d modeling Doctor Strange's Sling Rings, Kaecilius, Kamar-Taj, etc for cast meta

Here's where I'm at so far with Kaecilius's ring!
kaecilius sketch.PNG

Re: 3d modeling Doctor Strange's Sling Rings, Kaecilius, Kamar-Taj, etc for cast meta

I added texture and tweaked some details to the top surface of the novice ring. It's hammered now!
CPDIQ0W.png
textured good.PNG

Attachments

• textured.PNG
    textured.PNG
    353.1 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

almost done Kaecilius's ring!
TIuLLCG.pngkaecilius sk3.PNG

All done!
vlcsnap-2016-11-07-21h46m53s672.pngkaecilius dark gold.PNGkaecilius gold.PNG

Last edited:

Lookin' beautiful, for sure! Like I posted on the other thread, I'll definitely be in for this in the plastic 3D print within the next week! (and I will doubtless spend half an hour trying to open portals with it when I get it - LOL!)

Man that Kaecilius one came out great! I'll have to pick one up!

I've revisited this project!

I'm currently making cast metal versions of these rings. Updates soon on the process. Doing it this way instead of 3d printing will improve the quality and lower the cost.

I still have the Dr Strange ring in bronze, but now that these both are cast in the zinc allow material, it's much less expensive for those of you who want to add it to your collection. I like the bronze one better, but the price tag here is certainly attractive.

mmexport1642783427046.jpgmmexport1642783422859.jpgmmexport1642783408166.jpgmmexport1642783431655.jpgmmexport1642783411725.jpg
mmexport1642783427046.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back