3D Airwolf Helmet

I can't comment on the accuracy of that helmet, but the same artist is selling a helmet on CGTrader. From the pictures it looks ok from the outside, but the pictures of the inside look like there is no way a person's head will fit in. The reviews of one buyer reflect very poorly, citing the small size and problems with the geometry.

@adamski427 , you're asking someone to share the files of a licensed creation so that you can modify it and either sell or give away the result? Not cool.

TazMan2000
i see your point... not my intended angle. what i meant was if someone had bought the files (i.e. the OP) and was happy for me to modify the model to be printable and add operational parts for the visor mechanism i would do it... not to then sell or give away the files to anyone else.... people have purchased 3d files and commissioned help from others to Edit them for printing. it all comes down to the license agreement.
apologies if i gave the wrong idea.

i see your point... not my intended angle. what i meant was if someone had bought the files (i.e. the OP) and was happy for me to modify the model to be printable and add operational parts for the visor mechanism i would do it... not to then sell or give away the files to anyone else.... people have purchased 3d files and commissioned help from others to Edit them for printing. it all comes down to the license agreement.
apologies if i gave the wrong idea.

Licensing can be strange. Most licenses, even Royalty Free, say that you can't transfer it to other parties in the form it was downloaded, but somehow do allow you to give it to a third party to 3Dprint, which technically means you are transferring it to another party.

One would have to contact the original artist, and ask for a special license where modifications could be added to the original model, approved by the original artist, and then sold as an accessory. The customer would have to purchase the original model, and the accessory, which would be a win-win-win (Original artist, modifying artist, customer).

I have contacted the artist of the Airwolf Helmet on CGTrader almost two years ago, and asked if they could modify the helmet to have a moving visor. They said they would take it under advisement.

TazMan2000

Has anyone made any progress on a wearable helemt, even without room for a visor mechanism?

You could ask the artist at CGTrader to make it wearable and make it the proper size. My request was poo-pooed. But perhaps if there are several more requests, the artist might think about reworking the helmet, for an opportunity to sell it to a "fan" clientele.

TazMan2000

I have a bit of work put into this from a few years ago.

If someone did produce a few of these, what level of completion are most people looking for? Do those interested mostly just want a ready-to-display finished helmet with the screen-accurate function, a static wearable/display helm, buildable kits, all of the above?

There's always been enough interest in the helmet (especially after Steve went AWOL) to consider a run, just curious what you guys think.

I have a bit of work put into this from a few years ago.

If someone did produce a few of these, what level of completion are most people looking for? Do those interested mostly just want a ready-to-display finished helmet with the screen-accurate function, a static wearable/display helm, buildable kits, all of the above?

There's always been enough interest in the helmet (especially after Steve went AWOL) to consider a run, just curious what you guys think.

For myself, at least, what I would be looking for is a 3D printable shell, that would have room for electronics. and a mechanism for a visor, which would mean a secondary partial shell for the visor. I think this would satisfy both sets of people who would be interested, that want to make a functional version and those who just want to make a display version. If you design something, then perhaps you can license an interested party to make printable (or castable) copies for those who don't have a printer.

Perhaps you could start an "Interest list" if you are interested in starting such a venture. I guess the first question would probably be "How much?"

TazMan2000

For myself, at least, what I would be looking for is a 3D printable shell, that would have room for electronics. and a mechanism for a visor, which would mean a secondary partial shell for the visor. I think this would satisfy both sets of people who would be interested, that want to make a functional version and those who just want to make a display version. If you design something, then perhaps you can license an interested party to make printable (or castable) copies for those who don't have a printer.

Perhaps you could start an "Interest list" if you are interested in starting such a venture. I guess the first question would probably be "How much?"

TazMan2000

Absolutely, I was working on a 3-part body (shell, inner liner, neck wrap) so the mechanicals and electronics are out of sight. I'm also tired of seeing unfinished interiors lol.

Any idea what material the neck wraps were on the heroes? I liked the idea of a shell base that gets an upholstery foam sandwich, finished in a liner fabric wrap. So essentially a neck pad with a structured form inside to maintain shape.

Absolutely, I was working on a 3-part body (shell, inner liner, neck wrap) so the mechanicals and electronics are out of sight. I'm also tired of seeing unfinished interiors lol.

Any idea what material the neck wraps were on the heroes? I liked the idea of a shell base that gets an upholstery foam sandwich, finished in a liner fabric wrap. So essentially a neck pad with a structured form inside to maintain shape.

I have no idea what the neck wraps were made of, but hopefully somebody who knows will chime in.

TazMan2000

I have no idea what the neck wraps were made of, but hopefully somebody who knows will chime in.

TazMan2000
Yeah the only information I gleaned was that the neck wraps were wrapped in lycra fabric on Steve's replicas. That does check out for me anyways, my screen shots have always had the look of a headliner-like material fabric wrap.

How about the buttons? Mine are worked out to about .9" tall x .625" wide.... This is as close as I have found:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products...ucRCSoxAWLgiIcMAbmf4AH4TImNTNTsBoCZE4QAvD_BwE

Well this was the free pepfile that I got my hands on years ago printed it off scaled to my Fathead as you can see it's quite large probably could stand to scale it down just a tiny bit but this was just a prototype test build to see if I needed to scale it up or down you can see in the other pictures that it literally like sits on my shoulders with no spacing or padding at the top of my head this is what I'm working with so until somebody comes up with a vacuum form solution or resin kit or properly scaled and accurate 3D file Going Back to Basics
20230419_184849.jpg

Attachments

• 20230417_021535.jpg
    20230417_021535.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230417_021546.jpg
    20230417_021546.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230418_115004.jpg
    20230418_115004.jpg
    879.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230419_184704.jpg
    20230419_184704.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230419_184857.jpg
    20230419_184857.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 1_4c5bed0e319c8d72d89aaeea9518ff3c (3).jpg
    1_4c5bed0e319c8d72d89aaeea9518ff3c (3).jpg
    152 KB · Views: 31
  • 1_4c5bed0e319c8d72d89aaeea9518ff3c.jpg
    1_4c5bed0e319c8d72d89aaeea9518ff3c.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 1_4c5bed0e319c8d72d89aaeea9518ff3c (1).jpg
    1_4c5bed0e319c8d72d89aaeea9518ff3c (1).jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 1_4c5bed0e319c8d72d89aaeea9518ff3c (2).jpg
    1_4c5bed0e319c8d72d89aaeea9518ff3c (2).jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 28
anyone making progress ? I went back to the drawing board with mine, trying to find a better base helmet to begin the mods to turn it into an airwolf helmet, gonna call it a "Gentex AWH-1", Gentex is a helmet manufacturer, AWH=Air Wolf Helmet. I also just ordered a Gentex SPH-4 helo helmet i am gonna see if i can build a shell to fit it or the HGU-26/P I have to have a real helmet as a base and a drop on shell to fit it.

And yes, I know the stunt/hero helmets where just made from scratch shells, with the stunt helmets having only headsets in them for the pilots.

My project in the intial post of this thread has been dropped. There are just too many probems with that design that can't be fixed. I am working with Plasticity now and in the future, may start from scratch in creating a helmet. But there are others on this website that should put out their design.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back