25 years since SW Special Edition

Oooohhh, nice. I've always wanted a shop with a legit clean room for stuff like that.

What kind of engines were you doing?
I drag raced ford for many years, I had many combinations but my last was a 514ci with twin 88mm turbos, 1136hp. With the fat tune

I was strictly ford, my whole area is chevy, I’m the old ball around here

I also remember that the Special Editions VHS 3 pack was the only thing I have ever bought off of QVC shopping channel. Seems like it was on there before I ever saw it in a store.
My grandmother I use to call the “QVC whore” she would buy everything on that damn show.. then give me a pile of boxes to return back to UPS… every freakn week

I drag raced ford for many years, I had many combinations but my last was a 514ci with twin 88mm turbos, 1136hp. With the fat tune

I was strictly ford, my whole area is chevy, I’m the old ball around here

Whoa. Twin turbos on 500+ inches. That's one way to find out exactly how strong your engine block is.

What kind of car was it in?

Still got the 1990 VHS versions and making. Gold full screen VHS Special Edition....and found out like 2 weeks ago my brother has a re-wrapped version that is in very good condition. And then all the DVD and Bluray versions. (Sadly never had the DVD SE version that also came with the originals on DVD)
I k ow the unofficial story is that George sold to Disney under the guidelines that the orginals never be released.....oh but HOW much money they would make from a good remaster of those.....
20220202_180330.jpg

Like 2 days ago, ebay is like, looking for this????
Not at those prices. This person is out of their mind, and for a box that worn.

Screenshot_20220202-180453_eBay.jpg

I think people thought, that because top and bottom was black, you were getting less picture. Reality being fullscreen was less with sides chopped off.
Of course, smaller TV made it seem less. Thankfully HD TVs have it as 16:9, so its much closer to the types of theatrical aspect ratios, and these TVs are much bigger now.
Trying to do anything on a 13 inch or less was annoying.

I think people thought, that because top and bottom was black, you were getting less picture. Reality being fullscreen was less with sides chopped off.
Of course, smaller TV made it seem less. Thankfully HD TVs have it as 16:9, so its much closer to the types of theatrical aspect ratios, and these TVs are much bigger now.
Trying to do anything on a 13 inch or less was annoying.
The term ‘full screen’ is very deceiving to the customer, but made sense when all TVs were 4:3. Now, I think most people have come around to the benefits of widescreen.

The term ‘full screen’ is very deceiving to the customer, but made sense when all TVs were 4:3. Now, I think most people have come around to the benefits of widescreen.
To the point where they stretch older 4x3 material to, once again, "fill the screen". :sick:

How did you get it to hook, with a weight balance like that?
A lot of suspension, 4link pro mod rear, tubular front suspension..

Basically what I did was modified Fox body stuff to work on a truck lol

Took her from 4500lbs to 3200

Fit the largest suspension on the market in it, never want to be limited by suspension

I was young and dumb… I started to build a tube chassis car to put the engine in.. but it just got too expensive.. for what I had into the truck and new chassis I could have owned a house.. basically retired from the hobby.. still have the truck and chassis and motor.. all the electronics are out dated though.. that was DFI gen7.. antique engine management system today…

A lot of suspension, 4link pro mod rear, tubular front suspension..

Basically what I did was modified Fox body stuff to work on a truck lol

Took her from 4500lbs to 3200

Fit the largest suspension on the market in it, never want to be limited by suspension

I was young and dumb… I started to build a tube chassis car to put the engine in.. but it just got too expensive.. for what I had into the truck and new chassis I could have owned a house.. basically retired from the hobby.. still have the truck and chassis and motor.. all the electronics are out dated though.. that was DFI gen7.. antique engine management system today…

I was gonna ask if it was a 4-link rear. It's not a job for leaf springs.

3200 lbs is pretty light for an F150. That tube front end must have helped a lot. (Especially losing so much weight off the nose. You would really feel that difference.) It still sounds heavy for that kind of racing though.

Anything with a V8 engine is really good at burning money. I've spent way too much money on a few Mopars (and never had anything with 1000 hp). I became more of a restoration & street car guy. It's an achievement just to have a 1960s car in good streetable shape now. The old cars haven't changed but the world has changed around them.

The modern EFI options seem a lot better than they used to be. That motor of yours probably isn't an over-the-counter deal, but I know guys who have converted old big-blocks to EFI using open-source stuff. Integrated spark & fuel and everything.

Me, I'm still a carburetor guy.

I guess I've been pretty lucky with SW in movie theaters.

The was born in '74, and the very first movie I ever saw in a movie theater was Star Wars. It wasn't in '77, but a '78 theater re-release getting ready for ESB in '80. I also saw ESB and ROTJ on the big screen in movie theaters in '80 and '83. We even had bootleg copies of the OT movies on VHS that were made from the rental versions in the late '80s before they were officially sold so we could watch at home anytime we wanted.

Since then, I've seen every SW movie on opening day. Opening day showing for each of the SE versions. Midnight showings for EP1-3, and Thursday night 'midnight showings' for EP 7-9, R1, and Solo.

I was gonna ask if it was a 4-link rear. It's not a job for leaf springs.

3200 lbs is pretty light for an F150. That tube front end must have helped a lot. (Especially losing so much weight off the nose. You would really feel that difference.) It still sounds heavy for that kind of racing though.

Anything with a V8 engine is really good at burning money. I've spent way too much money on a few Mopars (and never had anything with 1000 hp). I became more of a restoration & street car guy. It's an achievement just to have a 1960s car in good streetable shape now. The old cars haven't changed but the world has changed around them.

The modern EFI options seem a lot better than they used to be. That motor of yours probably isn't an over-the-counter deal, but I know guys who have converted old big-blocks to EFI using open-source stuff. Integrated spark & fuel and everything.

Me, I'm still a carburetor guy.
You’d be surprised, most street classes 8.50 class are 2800-3200lbs

The stock gt500s running low 8s are in the 3400lb rate

Times have really changed my dad who’s raced his whole life still can’t believe it

My buddy runs 4.20’s in the 1/8 mile and is almost 3000lbs.

Makes 2800hp though..

You’d be surprised, most street classes 8.50 class are 2800-3200lbs

The stock gt500s running low 8s are in the 3400lb rate

Times have really changed my dad who’s raced his whole life still can’t believe it

My buddy runs 4.20’s in the 1/8 mile and is almost 3000lbs.

Makes 2800hp though..

You were still in a 'street' class? Okay those are on the heavier side.

As for the rest of it, yeah the 2800 HP thing doesn't surprise me anymore. Modern full-body drag cars kinda followed the pattern of rails from past decades. They found the limits of how much power they could lay down in the first couple hundred feet. So they kept piling more power on later in the run.

I'm not surprised that 1/8th mile racing has gained popularity in recent years. It's safer and it eats up less real estate. Some of these cars today are so fast it's scary to run them at full length. The 1/4-mile size was originally invented back when they were running 100 mph with flathead motors.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back