2010 failsafe calculator and monolith

sycor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Does anyone have any info on the calculator Roy had in 2010 that was supposed to control the failsafe for Hal?

Also, has anyone made a monolith that is still available. I know IJ made one a long time ago but I wasn't around then. I'd love to get one. Anyone know if it would be possible to have one made out of obsidian or something like that?

Last edited:
I'd think a block of lucite coated with window tint would be alot cheaper, and lot less prone to chipping than obsidian.

I'm sure it can be done out of obsidian, but you'd have to find someone with a big enough chunk of the stuff (I'm talking for a finished piece of around a foot tall, not 1:1) and that stuff isn't cheap. Then you'd have to find someone who can cut and polish it, that would probably be spendy too.

Then you'd have to find someone who can cut and polish it, that would probably be spendy too.

Back when I was cutting granite, I'd saw a 1" slab 3" x 9" when no one was looking and get a guy to polish it all around for a six pack of beer. Waste rock and downtime and nobody cared, but if you'd ordered that up legit out of African Black granite from our shed back when I worked there in the late 80s, it'd have cost you $400 easy. It'd probably be near a grand right now, just for the hand-polishing.

And forget 1:1; no one outside of Italy quarries nine foot blocks, and even then you'd have to be Bill Gates for 1:3:9 of something like African Black that has no impurities across that much rock.

How was the original Monolith built?

It might have been made of wood. Hollow so it wouldn't be too heavy, and hide retractile legs that could be stuck into the ground. Primed and painted flat black.

Just a guess though. I'll have to take a look at the blu-ray tonight, check if there's any info.

Seriously? This an actual response from someone on this board? Star Wars was 30 years ago but we can figure that out. You have to turn in your geek prop card now.
Yeah, but Star Wars took place "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away", not in this galaxy and star system and at this time. :lol

just watched it tonight, the calc was red.
the mono diam. was 1 4 9, the square of 1 2 3 .
the one in space was the same diam. only it was 2 kilos long.
john :cool

I recall they were fairly common when the movie was released. I don't think they were availble in red as I never saw red. I only recall black.
Can anyone post a screencap of the calculator in question? HP and TI would have been two of the biggest calculator manufacturers back when 2010 was made.

I used to own the original set of both the calculator and the cutter mechanism years ago. I cant remember any of the details about them at all but if I come across any pics I will post them.

I don't think they were availble in red as I never saw red. I only recall black.

I guess I should clarify on my previous statement.

I recall it only being available in black. Not to say I think the prop in the movie was actually black when it has every appearance of being red ( :lol ) . I would imagine that they took one that was black and painted it red. So black plastic, red paint, got them together, viola(veeola), a prop is born. Almost as facinating as the theory of the brontosaurus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYDiPizDIs

Hope that clears it up. :p

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back