2010 "$1 Store" Lightsaber Contest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Please choose your favorite saber from the $1 Store Contest

• Saber #1

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Saber #2

• Saber #3

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Saber #4

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Saber #5

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Saber #6

Votes: 149 58.2%
  • Saber #7

• Saber #8

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Saber #9

• Saber #10

• Saber #11

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Saber #12

• Saber #13

• Saber #14

Votes: 25 9.8%
  • Saber #15

• Saber #16

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Saber #17

• Saber #18

• Saber #19

• Saber #20

• Saber #21

• Saber #22

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Saber #23

• Saber #24

• Saber #25

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • Saber #26

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Saber #27

• Saber #28

• Total voters
re: 2010 "$1 Store" Lightsaber Contest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

I know the feeling Rikarus. The few props I have made have been verry basic, and this the first saber I've ever made.

I have said all along that after the contest is over, everyone shoulb post build/tutorial threads. But I got to thinking, I wonder, in the past, how many folks actually used those tutorials to build a replica of sade sabers. I mean, when you think about it, if anyone (even one person) makes anything close to replica of your saber, that kind of makes you a "rock star" Propdom. I

I mean, we all make replicas, of movie props, some of us even do custom stuff for our own collections. But, for you to come up with a design of your own, and build it, and maybe win a prize, and then to have others replica YOUR work, that's pretty cool.

No this is not a plug for next years contest. :) I'm just saying, everyone talks about the fun of the build, or the obvious prizes, in these contests, but if even one other person even tries to make a prop that looks like yours, well that's pretty darn cool too. :)

I know, if tutorials are posted this year, there are quite a few I would love to (eventually) take a crack at making a replica of, for my collection. :)

I hope we can see a detailed build of some of them. especially a certain #. I'll wait till after voting cause at the moment I don't want to comment on any particular #

In most saber contests of the past, it's been pretty obvious what most of the entries were built out of. This time I can't identify a single piece on many of them, which speaks to the craftsmanship involved. I was going to enter, but the dollar stores in my area just didn't have any good parts. Or maybe I just did look hard enough?

Some really amazing sabers. When I first went through the dollar store, I saw very little that could be used... but the longer I looked, the more things started jumping out at me. And now that it's done, you can't see much of the original pieces any more. I have a feeling some of the building threads will remind me of the transition of the table-top radio into the Rocketeer helmet... a little suspension of disbelief may be necessary to follow the builds. ;)

The thing that gets me is we have a collection here of almost 30 sabers that cost less than some single saber replicas! Bravo to all!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Great job to all who entered, really impressed by the quality of the work and imagination used to make them.

In most saber contests of the past, it's been pretty obvious what most of the entries were built out of. This time I can't identify a single piece on many of them, which speaks to the craftsmanship involved. I was going to enter, but the dollar stores in my area just didn't have any good parts. Or maybe I just did look hard enough?

Yeah, that's what I though too. In fact, in the past I mostly trusted folks. I mean, I could look at their saber, and look at the before pic, of all the parts, and say, yep, that's what it was made of. I never really had to look at the pile of pre-built stuff, long at all. Just a glance would do.

This year, there where so many sabers that I said "Oh, come on, there is no way that was made from dollar store junk", and I would have to set there studding their pile of parts, and figure it out. They really are all legit. They really are all from the dollar stores. You just really, really, have to study the parts to see it. Plus, some folks were nice enough ,to add a bit of text to there before pics. This part was used for this, that part was used for that, kind of thing. witch help a ton.

They are Franken-sabers. Weather you get your parts form the dollar store, or the grave yard, they are all just "raw materials", and it's the end result that maters. Sorry, I watched "Young Frankenstein" last night, and I couldn't resist. :lol

I just looked through all of them again, and I still can't see the pez dispenser that someone mentioned.

I don't know about the dispenser, but there are some PEZ candies stuck to the pommel and acting as the button on saber #22. Now THAT is thinking outside the box... er, dispenser. ;)

looking at the results so far (which, by the way, I think is a shame that we can see) I'm womdering if 57.79% of rpf members are mac users;

iSabre

I can see the advert now!!!!

minifig

They all look great. I kick myself everytime I don't get involved in something like this.

The entries are just incredible! I've narrowed my choice down to 4 sabers...but this is one tough call. I have to agree with many RPFers here....the clean look and innovative use of Dollar Store items is nothing short of incredible! Contestants really need to post tutorials!

I went back and forth weather or not to do this contest.....I would not have stood a chance. Great work by all!

A beautiful body of work put in by all the contestants demonstrating the diversity of creativity here in the RPF. Great job guys!

Wow lots of talent out there. They all really look wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:

it ended up that all the dollar stores in my area where $1.25 or more (must be the economy) so I couldn't do this one. Good thing because these are all really good!!!! Nice work to all that competed.

Wow. I have been lurking around for a few months, and I must say, all of these are truely amazing works of art. congrats to everyone that entered!!!

WOW!!!! I have a humble request,, Please, PLEASE, a parts break down on ALL sabers. So hard to choose, would like to try and replicate more than just a few of them. Thanks for making this the silver lining to my day.

this contest illustrates why we need to set these up for voting for the top 2. there is always a runaway favorite.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back