2001 thruster packs in Doctor Who!

Treadwell

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
From 1972's "The Mutants":
attachment.php

:eek

Oh my God! Think this means that, deep within the crypt of the BBC, these things might still be laying about??

:)

I remember watching "Doctor Who" on PBS back in the early 80s. I remember seeing one of the thruster packs attached to the top of a docking tube as set dressing. Not as good a view as that. I don't remember which Doctor it was, probably Tom Baker.

David.

Oh my God! Think this means that, deep within the crypt of the BBC, these things might still be laying about??

:)

Some props would be made in-house, some would be bought (like a bunch of Jerry Andrerson models and set pieces around that time), and some would be rented. So it's hard to say whether the packs would've been knocking around the Beeb.

I remember watching "Doctor Who" on PBS back in the early 80s. I remember seeing one of the thruster packs attached to the top of a docking tube as set dressing. Not as good a view as that. I don't remember which Doctor it was, probably Tom Baker.

David.

Good recall! But different BBC Sci-Fi show! :)

From Blake's 7, episode 2, "Space Fall":

attachment.php

attachment.php

Those are opposite ends of the tube in the story, but probably the same set used from different angles (so just one thruster pack).

I thought I read that Kubrick had all the models and everything else from 2001 destroyed for exactly this reason.

Good recall! But different BBC Sci-Fi show! :)

From Blake's 7, episode 2, "Space Fall":

Well in my defense, it has been over twenty years since I have seen either show. :lol

NormanF said:
I thought I read that Kubrick had all the models and everything else from 2001 destroyed for exactly this reason.

Kubrick didn't own any of it, MGM did, so it makes no sense that he could order studio property destroyed. I have read that it was 2001 that did in the UK MGM studios. The movie took so much of the studio space for so long that the studio lost all revenue from other productions, and it never recovered. As the studio shut down, most of the props costumes, and set pieces were put into storage with the other properties from MGM studios. Eventually the studio got tired of paying the storage costs, and had everything destroyed. They never bothered to inventory any of it, they just trashed it all.

David.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back