2001 A Space Odyssey screen grab request

Hello,
I heard that there was a new higher resolution digital remaster of 2001 released recently, and thought it may be time for me to address the chess game sequence. I'd like to trace the artwork of the chess pieces, but haven't been able to find screen grabs that were high-enough resolution.

Any help would be great. It'd also be useful to get pics of when the squares are lit up as the moves are played, as well as a few stills of each configuration.

I plan to use an astro-photographer's trick in Photoshop to (hopefully) get more detail from the screen-grabs, but in order for it to work, I need lots of similar-looking screen grabs from different frames of the clip. The more images the better. As uncompressed and high-resolution as you can manage (a .png file or whatever you can)

It's a long shot, but I thought if anyone could help, it'd be you guys. I plan on eventually making a replica of this video game to play online for free. A digital replica prop.

This is the first time I've been on the RPF since around 2000 or so, it feels strangely familiar yet completely different! Ha Good to be back.

6_2001.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzIQUDQO-ag

James

I've got the awesome 2007 BluRay release is there supposed to be a release that is even better than this?

At any rate I can't do screen grabs of a BluRay but could take CU photos from the 60" plasma of paused scenes for you if that would helps. Time cues for the desired grabs would be appreciated if this is something that would help you.

Here is a cap from the 1080p blu-ray. There may be a digitally re-mastered blu-ray out there, but it won't be higher than 1080p (that will not happen until an UltraHD, or whatever they are calling it this month :wacko, version is released).
2001-chess.png

Here you go...
this seams to be the original scan of the slide (back-projection).
Found it on douglastrumbull.com <- there are many more rare pics:

img803.preview.jpg

I scaled it it to size already:

2001_Chess_Game.jpg

Here are screenshots of each chess move:
View attachment HAL_Chess_Game.zip

...and some other game which has been played, but wasn't shown in the movie:
Pentominoes are polyominoes composed of five congruent squares, connected orthogonally. Sir Arthur C. Clarke was fascinated by them. They came close to being featured in the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey, but were replaced at the last minute by chess. Clarke made them a central feature in his novel Imperial Earth.

img110.preview.jpgpentomino03.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back