1978 Gyoza Pizza Planet Pickup truck Pixar

seven

Sr Member
I am interested in building the Pizza Planet Truck that is first seen in Toy Story, but has been in every Pixar Movie since. It looks like an easy build and a great thing to have on my desk. I figure the best way to build it is to find a model pickup and mod it. It probably isn't 100% identical to any real life truck, but it should be based off one.

From my own 'research' it appears to be based off a Toyota Hilux (aka 4Runner, Pickup, Truck, Tacoma, SR5, etc. depending on year and location).

The user manual is similar to a real life 1985-1990 Toyota Manual (In the Movie the Manual reads '1978 Gyoza Mark VII Lite Hauler Owners Manual'. That's where the 'YO' comes from on the back tailgate).

Also noticed that the stickers on the Cab and bumber are gone in TS2

It is a manual 2-Wheel drive

Does anyone know what a good year base for this truck is?

Last edited:
Ok, since I had no luck finding anything remotely close, I checked with the auto guys at finescale.com.

One guy pointed me to this link http://laurentiusnet.nl/Manufactures/Revell.htm Scroll down towards the bottom of the page. It looks like you might be able to build the truck you're looking for if you can find the toyota bluehawk camper and the datsun king cab camper. You'll need the bluehawk body and the king cab camper roof.

Theese look to be really old kits so your only bet may be to set up a 12 month auto search on ebay.

Hope it helps, some.

-Fred

Just to note, the YO comes from the other letters of TOYOTA coming off. The old Toyota trucks use to have them painted in big letters on the back end. That is why also the YO is centered on the back. ;)

Just to note, the YO comes from the other letters of TOYOTA coming off. The old Toyota trucks use to have them painted in big letters on the back end. That is why also the YO is centered on the back. ;)
It was also fairly common in the early 80's to see them running around with the "OTA" intentionally removed so the tailgate would read, "TOY."

Here's a truck with quite a few similarities:

http://jalopnik.com/379146/1983-toyota-4x4-pickup-truck

I think I'd consider custom vac forming the topper rather than trying to find a model match. That would also give you a nice smooth, animated look.

Yeah, people would remove letters in the early 90s as well. I'd seen "YO" trucks aplenty before Toy Story was made!

Interesting that they didn't model detailing for the inside edge of the door.

Thanks for the tips, I will look around the Datsuns' too. I did see that the 79 pickup looks really nice. The trick is finding a model. Would Revell/Monogram be the best company to search through?

I guessing that is the point of the joke. Pixar is playing off on this idea in Toy Story 1. However, in Toy Story 2 we see the 'Owners Manual' for the first time and it reads 'GYOZA' (Which of course is a fictional Car named after a Japanesse dumpling). So the 'G-Z-A' letters came off leaving the 'YO'.

But you are right, it is something commonly seen on ToYOta pickups, and it was what I originally assumed too about the Pizza Planet truck.

Last edited:
Was the truck somewhere in Wall-E?

Found this online...

pizza.jpg

Steve

If anyone still cares, I have an old friend who owns The Pizza Planet truck, the exact model, year and everything, obviously shes not in great shape but shes the same old truck. I any one wants details about the vehicle I'll be glad to share the info.

-Ace7809 <3-l

Um, huh?? You're saying it isn't fictional? Does it have the illuminated rocket sign and all? :D

If anyone still cares, I have an old friend who owns The Pizza Planet truck, the exact model, year and everything, obviously shes not in great shape but shes the same old truck. I any one wants details about the vehicle I'll be glad to share the info.

-Ace7809 <3-l

Hells yeah...post away man:):thumbsup

I used to work for a Toyota dealership as a mechanic in 1994. In those days, more then a few people wanted their brand new pickups to say "YO" on the tailgate. Rather then painting on the TOYOTA back there as they did in the 1970s, Toyota instead used vinyl self adhesive stickers. So a common thing the guys in the cleaning and detailing bay had to do was use a heat gun on the other letters to remove them.

More then likely, the truck is based on a 4 Runner or a Hilux (same body style, different engine and drivetrain packages). But it seems to be an amalgamation of details found on many trucks of that period so as not to have to pay licensing to respective car manufacturers.

I had no clue that pizza planet truck's name is Todd. :lol

The owner's manual is pretty funny. It's more like late model toyota manuals than 1970's.
!Bdy2CZ!Bmk~$(KGrHqQH-E!ErfSsBV1MBK6evmUeYw~~_35.JPG

stkaak88.JPG

and holy crap here is pixar's render wall or sparc wall, I forget the name.
pixar_photo5_blursharpen.jpg

[pizza sized boxes are Sun Sparc20s, and smaller boxes are external disk packs.]

-Ace7809 <3-l

Bumpo, for some news:angel

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back