1972 Memories, Old Mystery

IBenJamin

Back in the early 1970's or late 60's a business partner of my dad's bought several items at a Hollywood prop auction. I used to play with them in the warehouse he stored them in until he could open a restaurant with the props as display items. I am curious as to what happened to them. The restaurant never opened because the guy (Paul Cronin) ran for congress from Massachusetts in 1972 and won. He presumably sold them to somebody.

The items included the round table of King Arthur (an arcing table of at least 15' in diameter complete with all the knights thrones (except Arthur's told to be split in two in the last scene) the lances and shields, too. Also, the animatronic alligator from Dr. Doolittle, several carriages from ?My Fair Lady and other films, and a host of other props I don't remember the provenance of.

I only want to know to satisfy my curiosity. Not a priority item, but if you know... I wouldn't mind seeing that stuff again if it still exists. I find no photos on line of any of it. It may not have had any value to anyone else and been destroyed but I'm doubting it.

Thanks for what you may know...

The peices you are describing came from the November 1971 Fox sale held on site by Sothebys. The 'King Arthur' items are from PRINCE VALIANT. I doubt the carriage was from MY FAIR LADY as that was shot at WB, but they sold several used in many films.

The smaller items like shields, banners and spears have been resold - I have never seen the larger items.

rick

Last edited:
Spot on! Rick, thanks. How'd you happen to know? Is it possible there is a list of items that were sold? It's a great childhood memory for me. I'm clearly foggy on the details or was mislead back in the day about the movies the props were from, still you have helped fill in a blank in my memory banks. Thanks, again.

There were two sales many months apart. The table was lot #1078 from the later sale. I often see the two catalogs on eBay for sale, however, they are text rich and image poor, but they are a record of what was sold.

With me it's all memory.

rick

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back