Unlimited Run 1:3 and 1:6 Scale Han Solo in Carbonite from high res 3D Scan

zenix

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is for those of you who've always wanted to make a full scale HiC but haven't the space/spousal approval, or the budget. You can easily spend $2k on parts for a full size prop.

You can order here!
bit.ly/zenixthirdhic

Order list:
1. tdb68 - payment received full 1:3 kit
2. gobelas - payment received 1:3 han parts only

So I've had this CAD file for many years, 05 han hand scan.png06 zcolored han.pngfaces.png
and this 1:3 laser 3D print for a while. IMG_20150430_121942689.jpg as well as this smaller super high-res 3d printed resin 1:6 scale oneIMG_20170327_153458.jpg

Here's the thread from when I did the scan. Someone finally nudged me over the edge to get going on the molding and casting of the 1:3 scale. You can follow that progress here. I did a run a long time ago of 1:6 scale Han in Carbonite sculptures and still have that mold. Here's me ~5 years ago holding the 1:6 high-res 3d printed master:
ignite practice slides.jpg
I want to do a run of 1:3 one third scale ones, as well as a second run of 1:6th scale. I have the molds already made for the Han parts (not full front) for both the 1:6 and 1:3. Here's a photo of all three sizes:
IMG_20150430_122839679.jpg

The model's provenience comes from Stormrider's cast of the illusive concepts model, which was cast from the original prop. Stormrider's cast is on the left, 1:3 scale 3d printed master in the middle, and a 1:6 resin cast I made on the right.

I scanned Stormrider's cast with permission using a high-end industrial 3D scanner that picks up details perfectly. Millions of points of data. More details in a video of a talk I gave, here:

I'm gauging interest in my offerings of 1:6 scale kits, 1:3 scale kits, and 1:3 scale completed props.

Summary for 1:6 scale:

• han parts - main han body part plus toes, cast in resin. ~$65
  • box - 5 lasercut pieces ~$35
  • panels - cast resin for 1:3 ~ $30, or print it yourself using these I made
  • greeblies - These aren't separate like in the full scale prop. They're attached to the panels.
  • lighting - If you want, you can solder up your own circuit. I'll provide the 5 LEDS, resistors, a battery holder, and a pre-programmed chip. All you'll have to do is solder. The lights blink similarly to the real prop but are much simpler because it's only 5 LEDS and not individual 7 segment displays. $40
  • finished prop is about 14"
  • I'm only offering these as kits, no finished versions.
  • A kit doesn't include glue, bondo/resin for carbonite texture, paint, solder. It just includes the items listed above.
  • 1:6 kit should cost around $165 plus shipping, and I can part things out as necessary.
  • Final pricing for the small one is $145 without electronics, or $185 with, shipped, in the USA. $200 with electronics shipped outside usa, $160 without.
    So if you're looking to order the 1:6 scale, use this order form and send payment: bit.ly/zenixsmallhic

video of a completed 1:6 scale version I made in 2011:
The 1:6 scale build thread is no longer on the rpf unfortunately, but the above video goes over the process rather well and has several great photos.

Summary for 1:3 scale:

• han parts - main han body part plus toes, cast in resin ~ $95
  • box - lasercut or CNC routed pieces ~$75
  • panels - cast resin (better option but need more people) ~ $50, 3D printed poorly for $100 from me, 3d printed nicely for ~$180 from shapeways, or $0 if you print it yourself using these I made
  • greeblies - same as 1:6, these are attached to the panels, made as one piece.
  • lighting - same as 1:6, LEDs, resistors, and a pre-programmed chip to make them blink randomly and interestingly. $40
  • finished prop is about 27"
  • I'll offer this as both a kit or a finished version.
  • A kit doesn't include glue, bondo/resin for carbonite texture, paint, solder. It just includes the items listed above.
  • Kit should cost around $260, completed around $750. I can part out pieces as necessary

A few more 1:3 scale photos:

IMG_20170327_132945.jpgIMG_20170327_114507.jpgIMG_20170323_221835.jpgIMG_20170324_140602.jpg

Where I'm at now:

I have the panel molds and han part molds ready to go for the 1:6.
I have the han part molds and cnc router file made for the 1:3 but I haven't yet made panel molds for 1:3
I plan on using the same CAD file for that that I shared here(http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8833) with some small modifications. The files I shared are from before the volvo panel was discovered, and while they're pretty good, they are not perfect. Depending on interest I can modify these or redo them.
IMG_20170327_132954.jpgThis is a photo of panel 3, printed and primed with filler primer.

I have the CAD files for the box kit, and I can CNC route or laser cut those from 1/8" hardboard wood for the 1:6 version, and 1/4" birch plywood for the 1:3 version.

Depending on interest, I'll either be offering these as kits, fully assembled, or in parts, selling them with and without the panels, since you are able to print the panels yourselves if you have access to a 3d printer. If there is enough interest, I'll make molds to bring the cost of the panels down. They take about 1.5 hours each to print. Shapeways will charge around $180 for them. If I printed them, They'd be rougher, and I'd charge around $100 for the prints. If I cast them, they'd be around $50, but I'd have to make the molds so I'd need more interest than just a few of you.

All I need to move forward is a good idea of how many of you are interested in these offerings. Please let me know below as I'd love to get started.

Please do not indicate your interest on this thread if you are not interested in purchasing.

Final pricing for the small one is $145 without electronics, or $185 with, shipped, in the USA. $200 with electronics shipped outside usa, $160 without.
So if you're looking to:
Order the 1:6 scale, use this order form and send payment: bit.ly/zenixsmallhic
Order here for 1:3 version: bit.ly/zenixthirdhic

Thanks!

05 han hand scan.png

IMG_20150430_121942689.jpg

ignite practice slides.jpg

IMG_20150430_122839679.jpg

06 zcolored han.png

faces.png

IMG_20170327_153458.jpg

IMG_20170327_132945.jpg

IMG_20170327_114507.jpg

IMG_20170327_132954.jpg

IMG_20170323_221835.jpg

IMG_20170324_140602.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very interested in 1:3 scale kit (minus the box and side panels) please Zenix. Can give me an idea of total cost + shipping to the UK?

Last edited:
Any chance you'd do one of these in 1:4 scale? I'd love to put him next to my Sideshow Boba Fett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance you'd do one of these in 1:4 scale? I'd love to put him next to my Sideshow Boba Fett
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a lot of work and cost to get the print and mold made for one of these. I can't do every size unless there's enough interest.

HUGE ROTJ FAN HERE. I have an interest in the 1/3 if enough people get on board. I am in for the kit. Will it come with instructions for the electronic illiterate that I am one of?

HUGE ROTJ FAN HERE. I have an interest in the 1/3 if enough people get on board. I am in for the kit. Will it come with instructions for the electronic illiterate that I am one of?
Can you solder?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm excited to get this going and am glad to see there's some interest. I'll be ordering some more resin shortly. Who else is interested in getting one of these? I'll convert it over to a sale thread when we're ready to go.

There's enough interest here! Last bump before I convert it to a sales thread and start taking payments.

Accepting payments :)

You can order here!
bit.ly/zenixthirdhic

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back