Update 1 October, 2019
The Bellatrix "Deathly Hallows" sleeves attached to the dress look fairly close to the film used ones. Perhaps they could be longer by a few centimetres but they have close to the same number of stitched elements to them.
Update 30 September 2019
This isn't really about my my Sirius costume but it is related. My daughter does Bellatrix Lestrange and for some years we have been interested in making the Bellatrix costume from the Deathly Hallows. We started researching it but got stumped on how to make the...
Update 13 September 2019.
Now for the frock coat.
First things first - Diane Deziel! This cutter, pattern maker and her "Toolfully" Youtube channel was an excellent resource for this project. Her videos are to the point and easy to follow. I often hear people say that they can't sew. Sewing...
Update 12 September 2019.
This is going to cover some the work I have done over the last week or so.
First, the waistcoat.
To do the front panels I used the screen that I had made (see above) to screen print devoré (fibre etch) paste onto the back of white silk/rayon velvet. Once the paste...
Update 10 September 2019
Shirt and waistcoat together with antique double Albert fob trombone link chain that I modified to look as close to the original as possible. It is a shame to modify a 99 year old silver chain but I think it will be worth it to get the look as exact as possible.
Update 9 September, 2019
I've done a load of work but haven't had time to upload it. However, here is my (almost finished) waistcoat. It needs to have some flowers embroidered (painted) onto it, just like the original.
I used a screen printed devoré technique to make the gaps in the velvet. I...
Update 3 September, 2019.
I need some advice. I want to know how I can etch this pattern into a mild steel buckle blank?
I have based the pattern off the only images I can find, which I took from a really low quality Youtube video. I want to etch the steel, then blue it with heat and then I...
Update 30 August, 2019
I haven't updated in ages but I have been doing some work intermittently.
My fabric arrived from Spoonflower. I gave it a wash and dried it. In total I think I had to print about four meters to print all the parts of the shirt.
It looks fairly blue in the picture but...
Update 25 July, 2019
I have been a bit tardy on this project of late, however, I have had a screen made by my pal Peggy at IKKE Textile Design & Print for the devoré process that I have to apply to Sirius' waistcoat. Peggy is a working screen printer and it is so much easier to get someone to...
Update July 15, 2019
I have found a jeweller who is making a sample of Sirius' black onyx cufflinks set in silver. If the price is right I might have him make a number of them for anyone else who is interested in making this costume. This is the only image I have been able to find and this is...
Update July 13, 2019
I was looking for buttons for another project when I came across these ones on Ebay which looked familiar.
So I searched through my reference images for Sirius.
I snapped them up straight away. I know it is a small detail but it is great to...
Update July 12, 2019
Like the bracers I am not going to be doing the button holes on this collar just yet. Something which I failed to photograph was the wadding which I glued between the lining and the leather before finishing the top...
Update July 10, 2019
Today I had some prints made of the coat pattern which I now have to cut out and make a new mock-up before starting on the velvet fabric I have had printed. It is the most complex single sewing project I have ever designed a pattern for and it takes up four A0 pages and...
Update July 10, 2019
I have finished all of the sewing work on Elise's leather and suede bracers based on the pattern some posts back.
I have been using this awesome machine which I picked up very cheaply. It is a Singer 31K47 made in 1957 (so it is 62 years old) and has a vibrating foot...
Update July 8, 2019
I ordered some fibre etch, velvet and some dyes from an Australian company called Kraftkolour last Friday morning and this morning (Monday) the delivery arrived. Great price too. About $30 for a kilo of the stuff - more than I am ever going to need.
I have some black...