My first Monster Mask!

Bilious

Done for Halloween 2010! Taking what I learned about foam fabricating and experimented. ;) Unfortunately I was so swamped I didn't get photos in time for the Halloween costume contest here, but I wanted to share anyway!

I took influence from Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, and my own dragon designs and came up with this critter: I've been calling it Corvin the Corvid. It likes tasty kittens!

Mouth and ears move, and eyes have a blinking mechanism.

* * Please be sure to check out this test video of it in action to fully appreciate!

closeup.jpg

yumkitten_sml.jpg

If anyone is interested in something like this, please don't hesitate to send me a note for a quote! No kittens were actually eaten during the photoshoot.

I wasn't sure what section to put this thread in, if I chose wrong feel free to move! >o> But it's not a replica, it's an original work and this seemed to make sense so... ((gesticulates))

Last edited:
Contec- A lever switch I could hit with my elbow that shorts out the main power to the eyes. It's easier to operate than the ears, but I forgot to make it blink more in the test video! If/When I get around to a better vid I'll be sure to play with that feature more. it's especially effective at night, I freaked a lot of people out! I wanted to make blinking eyelids, I know how and may still update it, but I ran out of time for Halloween.

The ears were strategic string puppetry! ;)

Nice mask. :) What sort of material is it made from?

Reminds me a lot of the Griffin from one of the episodes ("The Luck Child") of "Jim Henson's The Storyteller":

0390621311179945.jpg

Omg! Dark Crystal and Labyrinth were huge inspirations but I TOTALLY forgot about the griffin from Storyteller! I totally should have looked that one up since I do have the DVDs! Next mask.... ;D

It's made mostly of foam and latex.

The eyes have a blinking mechanism for the lights, but the effect only works in dim light! Gotta get some proper eyelids in the next one. ;)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back