Help wth Star Trek: TNG 1701-D Conference Chair

CJP

Can anyone help out with really close photos of the type of chair below? I'm looking for something where I can see the texture of the material.

I have one and I want to accurately reupholster it.

Chris

tngchair.jpg

I recall that they recovered the bridge chairs in STII with spandex. This, too, looks thin and stretchy...

As far as I can tell, it's a regular non-stretch material. I imagine that they would have used upholstery weight fabric to stand up to the use.

Chris

They were an available chair, recovered (yes, in upholstery fabric, they got a LOT of use - they were very comfortable!)
The headrests were custom made and added with the elastic strap that is visible. They were on wheels with a standard (five? Six?) prong, star pattern base.

I will look for pics. They were sort of a a speckled pink/raspberry pattern.

Hag and good luck finding one as they have been out of production for years.

Yeah, I'm really good at tracking stuff down and it took a lot of luck, and about 15 years of persistant searching.

Guy, thanks in advance for checking for photos. :)

Chris

wait... these were an off the shelf chair? i had no idea.
what was the model/manufacture?

'tis true. A few years ago, a TV control room I worked in had one of them. Thought it was pretty cool first time I walked in there. Probably the only time I did a double-take looking at a chair.

If anyone in Philly is looking for one, this is a longshot: This weekend Nov 06-07 the Spectrum is having a haul away sale. ($25 to get in, take what you can carry, no tools or carts.) That damn chair might still be there - I have no idea.

I know that they used the HAG "Signet" chair for the chairs on the runabout in the six season TNG episode "Timescape" which were then used in Voyager in the conference room. Those were the rounded top version. They also used a square top version of the Signet in Janeway's ready room, and in the TNG movies.

And yes, they are almost impossible to find.
Hag still makes the Signet line of chairs, but they look nothing like the one's used in the Trek series/movies.

I was lucky enough to find two of them over the last few years. Both at thrift stores, and both for under $20.00 each. One was the round top like the one's in Voyager's conference room, and just 2 weeks ago, I found one like the ones used in the TNG movies. It is the top of the line model, which means it has the wider top. But otherwise, it is the same model. And the best part is that it is in outstanding condition for a chair that has not been made in over a decade. I still want to find one like the chair used in the TNG briefing room. So the search continues....

Terry

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back