"Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - Update 5.2.15

Re: "Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle! SCULPT FINISHED!

Thanks so much!

It's killing me to be working on client projects upstairs while the bust and the molding supplies are calling to me from the basement...

Man this is amazing. I dont know if I missed it, but what did you use/method of getting that awesome texture? Im going to make a red skull mask and he has some cool wrinkles like that. Simply awesome.

Hey snikt! Red Skull would be a fun sculpt to attempt. Here's the recipe for that texture, more or less:

• Get your shapes and weights and balances right. It's tempting to dive into the fun details - especially on the face - but try to be disciplined and concentrate on the form up front. It'll save you a LOT of time that you would have spent resculpting things again and again as you revise him.
  • Sketch in your wrinkles and creases and folds as though you were drawing a picture.
  • Use a tool to start to carve depth into those wrinkles. Don't go the long way! Work along the lines in tiny sections, scraping perpendicularly from the groove to the height of the fold and creating a nice roundness. If you shape along the path of the wrinkle instead, it will seem flat and angular.
  • Get things as fine as you can with your tools.
  • Use a fine wire brush (like a cat hair brush) to scrape fine texture into your sculpt. Work it all over and in intersecting directions. On a human face, you'll want your primary scratches to flow with the shapes of the face. Look at your own face closely in the mirror (or find some nice portrait photography) for reference.
  • Brush on some isopropyl alcohol (99%) to smooth the texture a bit, and sand with drywall sandpaper while the clay is softened by the alcohol.
  • Go back to the wire brush and repeat if necessary!

That's about it. If you have any questions, let me know!

Doug

The close up photos of the skin texturing is pretty remarkable. Still awed by this!

Hopefully Saturday night or Sunday provide the block of time I need to get the mold started. In my fleeting spare time this week. I set up the "lab" and organized all of my tools and supplies. He's mounted to his baseboard and coated with Krylon Crystal Clear. Now he just awaits the first layer of silicone...

molding_space.jpg

face_right.jpg

face_left.jpg

supplies.jpg

Re: "Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - ready for molding!

Hey Doug!!! Thanks for the response regarding the texturing. Im going to be making a lifecast of my head soon (about a week) and then Ill be starting the sculpt. Ill let you know how it goes.

On a side note, it would be great if you documented with pictures and stuff of how youre going to do your mold. My Red Skull will be my first silicone mask, and Im still sketchy on the process, quantity of materials used, and if you have to make the mold out of resin etc. I bought a bunch of plaster already, and wanted to use that before I had to spend more money on mold making stuff lol.

I showed my GF your work and she tripped out, she loves TMNT, and regular turtles, and she thought it was amazing.

Nice concept and sculpt. Looking forward to seeing this as a full costume. I would make one recommend: you mentioned doing the shell out of foam. If it's a rigid urethane foam I would recommend coating it with polyurethane resin (Smooth Cast 300 series, 2 part mix, one to one) instead of latex. You can brush the liquid resin on in as many layers as you want as it marries well to itself. I have found the trick is to work with small batches as you have about 5 minutes mixed pot life max. Get cheap brushes to do it. Once you're satisfied with the thickness, you can sand it, texture it with brush or small pieces embedded in it, Velcro it to an understructure or drill pilot holes for mounting it on some kind of harness or costume base. It paints up great with acrylics for brush or airbrush or whatever brand/type of paint you prefer once you give it a good base coat with Kryolan or similar undercoat. It's lightweight and durable as hell. I made a Davy Jones costume from POTC a few years back and used this technique for the crab arm and leg. A kid came up to me and started whacking on it trying to break it and all it did was scuff up the paint a little. I have used this method for making Egyptian god headdresses, crowns, rigid masks and props such as scepters and clubs, etc. You can see some of the results on my website AFS Studios Best for success!

"Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - ready for molding!

Thanks for the tip! This is actually upholstery foam - soft and squishy and probably a bit more comfortable to wear as a front and back shell. It'll appear hard. The movie suits had foam shells as well.

Now, however, I'm thinking of sculpting and casting shells rather than fabricating them...

"Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - ready for molding!

There is just no time in life!!! Didn't get to even think about the turtle this weekend. A friend flew out from California; we had a Dropkick Murphys show; one of our label's artists is in town on tour and had a couple shows; we got the masters back on a new album and I had artwork to finalize for the release of the first track; my wife went to a baby shower in NH Saturday night and I had a stint as Mr Mom. Sadly, the turtle didn't even blip on the radar.

Tomorrow I'm technically booked on an animation piece, but the work is sort of on pause while awaiting notes on today's revisions - I *think* I may be able to hunker down on a snowy day and mold him tomorrow!

Wish me luck,

- D

Fantastic work! This is what Hollywood needs to be doing, not ruining a franchise with terrible cgi turtles. Can't wait to see it moulded, painted and masked up. Any plans of doing a realistic, traditional Japanese samurai inspired Shredder helm?

Fantastic work! This is what Hollywood needs to be doing, not ruining a franchise with terrible cgi turtles. Can't wait to see it moulded, painted and masked up. Any plans of doing a realistic, traditional Japanese samurai inspired Shredder helm?

this needs to happen!

I'd love to do a Shredder someday, though it's not at the top of my list of projects after this one.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back