ANH TIE color alternatives to Tamiya TS-32

^I've found that to be an excellent color for X-Wing pilot costume chestboxes, but that's neither here nor there. ;)

Some primitive lighting experiments on TS-32.

LED lighting,camera flash ,halogen bulb,ambient room, sunlight

To my naked eye it can look not bluish enough, but at other times depending on the light it seems right.

TS-32.jpg

untitled.jpg

TieInterceptor11.jpg

3104135505_cbc6dda51a_o1.jpg

What an annoying color Pactra came up with! :lol

Of course once it's down on the model it can look different too with the primar underneath contributing, wondering if using blue underneath would be a smart idea, then come in with the TS-32 on top.

Different cameras, nothing calibrated of course....
Studio and TS-32 compared in what I think is similar flash lighting.
Untitled-1-5.jpg

Bit of an update on hull color I wanted to share with the community. Based on research done by Studio Scale modelers, Tamiya T-32 Haze gray is a DEAD ON match to the studio model hull color.

I however wanted to spray my color with an airbrush, because I feel that Haze Grey is too dark for a model smaller than studio scale. What I did in this test below was take XF-2 Flat White and XF-82 Ocean Gray 2 (RAF) (which looks very near identical to Haze Grey, just slightly darker) and mixed them 1:1...

aYctrnK.jpg

This produced the results below...

sPJYkVT.jpg

iqvtAIR.jpg

zW2IvDp.jpg

As you can see, the results are VERY close. In person they look even closer than these photos do justice. My mixture on the left, and Haze Grey on the right. Now mine is a little lighter in shade than Haze Grey because I believe I mixed in too much white. If you did say 1.5 or 2 parts XF-82, and 1 Part XF-2, I believe you'd have a pretty much dead on match to Haze Grey. In person these spoons are almost identical.

I however, going for a smaller scale, will probably even add more white to the mix to lighten mine more, but I wanted to let you guys know what I found out.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Testors Model Master US Navy Blue Gray for a Tie Fighter?

Never mind, I looked through my paints and have a bottle of Testors US Navy Blue Gray. I tried it today and it's a bit too blue looking compared to TS-32 Haze Gray.

It might be, however it's believed that the Tie Fighters were the same color in all 3 movies. I think they might have been a lighter color in ANH or maybe it's just the lighting that makes them look more blue in ESB & ROTJ.

It might be, however it's believed that the Tie Fighters were the same color in all 3 movies. I think they might have been a lighter color in ANH or maybe it's just the lighting that makes them look more blue in ESB & ROTJ.

For having seen one ANH, one TESB and one ROTJ TIE in the same room, next to each other and under the same light, they are not the same blue !

This is not even the same finish, ANH is very flat while TESB and ROTJ are satin.

Well I went back to the Testors Acrylic US Navy Blue Gray and this time I added some Testors Neutral Gray. I eyeballed the mixture, however I'd say it's approximately 3 parts US Navy Blue Gray, 1 part Neutral Gray.

Below are pictures showing the results. The Testors Acryl US Navy Blue Gray/Neutral Gray mixture is on the left and the TS-32 Haze Grey sample is on the right. Taken into account the Testors paint is acrylic and the Tamiya is synthetic lacquer, I'd say it's dead on. It's almost ridiculous how close it is in person.

IMG_4829_zpse518b421.jpg

IMG_4831_zpsd1d5088d.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back