Tron Legacy Costume

I must really be obsessed with this movie, because I decided to build another costume. Here it is..... (sorry for the crappy pics)
Video can be seen here: Tron 2.0 - YouTube (also crappy)
IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

Fire, that is pretty awesome bro! Really nice work.

I've been modeling my first attempt at a Tron suit on your first costume. Have a few questions for you.

What type of glue did you use to stick the shower curtain (light up pieces) to the inside of the vest?

How did the rest of that costume come out? Arms and pants?

Also attempting to follow your identity disc mod. In your video you say you used an N-type battery holder, but I think you say you used A23 batteries which look bigger (longer) than the little N-type battery holder I picked up from Radio Shack.

Anyway, just wanted to give you a big thanks because your contributions to this forum has really helped me so far.

Thanks!

Flashback Flynn inspired Civilian program.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to pop by with some updates on my Flashback Flynn suit. First off, though, let me say how great everyone's stuff looks! The progress is just inspiring.

As for my get up, I was never really happy with the shoes that I had made and decided to replace them with some tall leather engineer style boots I picked up.

I was able to use the lights from the orginal shoes without any alterations for a pretty good look inside and outside of the leg.

Also, sticking with my original rule, everything is completely removable and can be worn in everyday life.

I also ordered some new C rings that are a clear harder plastic. The white SI ones are great, but blocked too much light when my suit is powered with the new inverter. I also switched to a clear outer blade from a white Flynn disc toy. The clear should allow brighter light and a closer match to the EL tape.

Lastly, the Disc is now at an auto-body shop geting a profrssional paint job from a friend. After costume use I plan to put it on display as a lamp.

Final costume and disc pics to come soon... but heres a quick shot with the new boots for now.

Last edited:
Fire, that is pretty awesome bro! Really nice work.

I've been modeling my first attempt at a Tron suit on your first costume. Have a few questions for you.

What type of glue did you use to stick the shower curtain (light up pieces) to the inside of the vest?

How did the rest of that costume come out? Arms and pants?

Also attempting to follow your identity disc mod. In your video you say you used an N-type battery holder, but I think you say you used A23 batteries which look bigger (longer) than the little N-type battery holder I picked up from Radio Shack.

Anyway, just wanted to give you a big thanks because your contributions to this forum has really helped me so far.

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words. I used super glue to attach the shower curtain. The batteries for the Identity disc are definitely A23. The pants are really hard to custom make with the neoprene. You may want to look into getting some tight fitting armor pants such as these: MENS MOTORCYCLE MESH LEATHER ARMOR PANTS BLACK 40w 30i - eBay (item 230677486253 end time Oct-24-11 17:48:13 PDT) and add the LED's on top of them.

Otherwise, you can try to make the arms and legs by cutting rectangle pieces of the neoprene big enough to wrap around your arms and legs. Then you have to make some custom cuts to make sure it fits to the contours of your arm/leg. Almost in a cone shape depending on the size of your biceps/thighs. You really need help with this part. Its hard to hold the neoprene on yourself, measure, mark, etc. alone.

Thanks for the kind words. I used super glue to attach the shower curtain. The batteries for the Identity disc are definitely A23. The pants are really hard to custom make with the neoprene. You may want to look into getting some tight fitting armor pants such as these: MENS MOTORCYCLE MESH LEATHER ARMOR PANTS BLACK 40w 30i - eBay (item 230677486253 end time Oct-24-11 17:48:13 PDT) and add the LED's on top of them.

Otherwise, you can try to make the arms and legs by cutting rectangle pieces of the neoprene big enough to wrap around your arms and legs. Then you have to make some custom cuts to make sure it fits to the contours of your arm/leg. Almost in a cone shape depending on the size of your biceps/thighs. You really need help with this part. Its hard to hold the neoprene on yourself, measure, mark, etc. alone.

Thanks for the response.

So for the identity disc, you are using the N-type battery holder, right? You provided links along with your youtube video, but the link to the A23 batteries is a bad link. I got the N-type batter holder which looks like a battery holder which holds batteries the size of a half AA battery. When I got the holder at Radio Shack and asked for batteries for it, they gave me this:

Enercell Alkaline "N" Batteries (2-Pack) : N Batteries | RadioShack.com

And for the holder I got this:

N Battery Holder : Battery Holders | RadioShack.com

Are these the right parts?

Also, what gauge wire are you using for both the disc and to connect the LEDs in the vest?

Yeah, I agree on making neoprene sleeves and pants. I might just use craft foam to create the arm parts. Still not sure about the pants, but I found a very thin neoprene fabric that has nylon on both sides which "might" not be impossible to make a pair of pants that I can make slightly bigger so that I can attach lights underneath. Probably would need an elastic band around waist. Saving this for last for sure...

Thanks again man!

Actually I think the N-type batteries are different. They have a nomial voltage of 1.5V, where the A23 have 12V. Which is what you need for bright led's. The A23 will still fit in the N-type battery holder.

Hey guys... what are yall using for the identity disc holder??? I might try to mod one out of tape or something... but I'm wondering if theres something easier to use... Thanks!

Hey guys... what are yall using for the identity disc holder??? I might try to mod one out of tape or something... but I'm wondering if theres something easier to use... Thanks!

Seems lot of people are using a piece of Tupperware.

Also, check out this post

http://www.therpf.com/f24/tron-legacy-costume-88230/index156.html#post1726780

I picked up the part from Home Depot and I have a Tupperware bowl that I might use. Haven't focused my efforts on that area any further yet.

There is also this, but it appears to be out of stock

Disc Holder Mount

Hope this helps.

Yes, those would work.

I am using the Ardani Studios disc holder that thecountofzero listed in his post. But there are various methods to do this. You can probably find some in this thread: http://www.therpf.com/f9/tron-toy-deluxe-id-disc-mod-enhancements-101229/

i use a part of the packaging of the disc und model ist to the holder

it holds the disc an i use neodyn magnets to hold it extra

Finally I became a member! I just had to say what an amazing work you guys do and the help provided is awesome! I'm glad I joined, and hope to get as good as some of you are creating cool costume ideas.

I must really be obsessed with this movie, because I decided to build another costume. Here it is..... (sorry for the crappy pics)
Video can be seen here: Tron 2.0 - YouTube (also crappy)
IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

@Fireslayer: I have this same get up and I am doing a Rinzler version using glowsticks and el wire on both discs :)

I say "version" 'cause the armor looks nothing like Rinzler's. But I have little skills with crafts... it will look cool anyway and my son loves it!

What are you using as a disc holder and how did you attach it to the back armor?

Thanks, and thanks to all for your creations

Thank you Gazza42 and fireslayer26.... i will consider your options!

All I need now is some thigh/leg armor so my pants don't look so... well, tight! lol :p

Re: Flashback Flynn inspired Civilian program.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to pop by with some updates on my Flashback Flynn suit. First off, though, let me say how great everyone's stuff looks! The progress is just inspiring.

As for my get up, I was never really happy with the shoes that I had made and decided to replace them with some tall leather engineer style boots I picked up.

I was able to use the lights from the orginal shoes without any alterations for a pretty good look inside and outside of the leg.

Also, sticking with my original rule, everything is completely removable and can be worn in everyday life.

I also ordered some new C rings that are a clear harder plastic. The white SI ones are great, but blocked too much light when my suit is powered with the new inverter. I also switched to a clear outer blade from a white Flynn disc toy. The clear should allow brighter light and a closer match to the EL tape.

Lastly, the Disc is now at an auto-body shop geting a profrssional paint job from a friend. After costume use I plan to put it on display as a lamp.

Final costume and disc pics to come soon... but heres a quick shot with the new boots for now.
Nice! I'm going for this look as well once I have a few days off. I probably asked this already, but is your EL tape 1" wide or 1/2" wide. It seems the SA costumes have EL tape roughly 0.75" wide, but alas I cannot find that width. I was planning to use 1/2" as it would be easier to work with.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back