X-Wing Cast from Original Parts

I've pretty much decided not to replace the badly cast details, since that is part of the pedigree of these castings, except for a few things which are in pretty bad shape and can be replaced with 100% authentic parts. I've ordered the Aavid heatsinks for the laser cannons for example.

Another set of parts I'd like to replace are the turkey feathers on the engines (and maybe the entire engine but I'm kind of okay with the those castings). I know these parts came from the 1/32 Revell Phantom F4 but I'd just as soon not waste an entire kit just for these. Does anyone out there have any of these parts, or castings, they would sell?

Thanks,

Dave

Hey DaveG I've got a few turkey feather spares. I'll send you a PM.

Great to see the new shots in primer and finally one of these being built!

I had a PM request for some closeup photos of the cockpit so here they are.

CRW_4786_zpsfabfacfc.jpg

CRW_4786_zpsfabfacfc.jpg

CRW_4789_zps3a73e046.jpg

CRW_4790_zpsc8848544.jpg

CRW_4791_zps916156e7.jpg

CRW_4794_zpsf2fe99b8.jpg

CRW_4797_zpsb74eaf7a.jpg

CRW_4801_zps9af445ab.jpg

Thank you!These pictures will difinetly help me.Thanks for sharing.
By the way,what are the two T bars on both sides of the cockpit?

Plastruct L-angel strip, I believe. These are the type of shots I've been looking for, for a very long time. Thanks so much, Dave. Very, very helpful.

Edit: Now that I look at these new shots, those strips have detail on both side, so it looks like T- strip on this casting. On the casting I own it looked like L-strip.

-emojo5

Last edited:
Nope, it's in a box on the shelf, still unbuilt. But I've been on a Star Wars kick lately so I'm thinking it's time to get back to it!

It's been almost exactly two years, time to get back to it! I've pulled the parts out several times in the interim but have been discouraged by the number of air bubbles and mold bubbles. Finally I just decided to embrace these parts heritage and not worry about the imperfections. Once it has the heavy weathering the flaws won't be very obvious anyway.

the area with the most casting bubbles was the rear end. Fortunately I've got a separate casting that was made with this part of the mold down so as not to trap the bubbles. I ground out the back area in the fuselage and trimmed down the separate part to drop in.

Before:

Only took about an hour to grind it out. Man, is this old resin stinky! Even after 20+ years.

The trimmed down insert casting:

and test fit in place. A little bit of putty and it'll be fine.

Seal it up with paint! The parts didn't stink until I cut or sanded them. Fortunately most urethane resins made these days don't stink as much.

I was asking because I´ve got a bad Vader casting that stinks like hell. So hopefully sealing it completey will help, fingers crossed. Already went the acetone route with some success, but you never know ...

Looks like the old BJB stuff from the 80s and 90s and bet it smells the same, too! Ugh, if I ever have to smell that again...

Yup, I'm sure it's that old BJB crap! What you smell with any of these cured resins are microscopic particles of un-cured resin that are out gassing. Eventually (after 25+ years) it stops stinking as all the volatile compounds in the uncured bits exposed on the surface have evaporated away. Then you sand or grind the surface and phew! That's also why dust from sanding and grinding urethanes is so hazardous, it's not so much the particulates, as the uncured liquid resins carried in them. Always wear a mask! and use dust collection!

And you know what those volatiles are, right? Isocyanates for starters.

Listen to Dave, you should. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back