X-Wing Cast from Original Parts

Hey Frank, I'll PM you, lol.

Did we ever figure out if the helmet was from a kit, or a sculpt?

I'll take pics of my Artoos tonight - was very fortunate to get a few from a friend!

Hey Frank, I'll PM you, lol.

Did we ever figure out if the helmet was from a kit, or a sculpt?

I'll take pics of my Artoos tonight - was very fortunate to get a few from a friend!

Leave it to Julian!

Re: the head?
Its a found part or parts. Too much detail on it to not be.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Hopefully we'll find it!

Unless it's already known in a shadowy cabal, miles below the earth's crust!

Julien you have an eagle eye!

Isel

Actually not that much lol, I correct myself, sometimes arms were mixed (DV' TIE Fighter).

The only pilots Im sure they have both arms from the BF 109 are the Red 2, Red 3 and Red 4 pilots.

I like the look with the finger pointing out

xwingpilot.jpg

Found that on internet :

374_4aed583940.jpg

On one hand there is fine details which looks to be a kitpart, on the other hand, when you look at the face of the helmet, it's not perfecly symetrical...

Very funny Modeleers!

Like you wont be buried someday clutching that to your chest.

;-)

Its a casting...but..its MY casting.
The arms are ones we made for the EWING PILOTS.

I supposed you could use the real HARRIER Pilot's arms..but..where is the fun in that?
The R2 is actually the NO SHRINK casting. Couldnt find a tan one.

pilotq.jpg

Yup, that's the pilot casting that I have that came with all my parts

Humor me for a second...I did this in 30 minutes with some tape...clay..and a Screwdriver.

Shakin...not stirred.

pilot2q.jpg

pilot3.jpg

pilot4.jpg

I know its "off".

I know thats not the right SHIP part...but.

I bet its a Ship part, or something shaped similiar. I was originally thinking part of a cupola from a tank...or..a fender.

The rest is tape, and steyrene.....one less screwdriver, and some more time.

Perhaps that Helmet is a leftover from a 1/24th Dragster or Slot Racing kit.
The Visor shape seems familiar. I wish I could see better pics (primer only), it may help jump-start the memory machine.

Nice quick/scratch, Frank!

Well..one of the original XWING prototypes is a dragster....who has that pic.

The one with the Green Body?

Maybe its from that?

Last edited:
Franck, I'm not sure the Dragster Cantwell used is the same scale, but Jason has the kit so he could chime in !

Very nice attempt, even if the part is not correct, I think you're right as they scratched/sculpted the facia.

As for the rear, if you look at your casting and at the pics I posted, we can notice kind of engraved circles which are partially hidden by the kind of strip. That remains me some old pilot helmet from the Vietnam era, I could be totally wrong though...

Yes...I saw those. Thats why I think its a found part.

I was thinking of either physically, or digitally, putting back to itsself.
Maybe its something cut in halve.

Franck, I'm not sure the Dragster Cantwell used is the same scale, but Jason has the kit so he could chime in !

Very nice attempt, even if the part is not correct, I think you're right as they scratched/sculpted the facia.

As for the rear, if you look at your casting and at the pics I posted, we can notice kind of engraved circles which are partially hidden by the kind of strip. That remains me some old pilot helmet from the Vietnam era, I could be totally wrong though...

Here's my Artoos

L1060556.jpg

The Praying Mantis Dragster - I didn't get a fig with the kit, but I have a friend with a MASSIVE dragster collection. I can ask him.

Here's my Artoos

L1060556.jpg

The Praying Mantis Dragster - I didn't get a fig with the kit, but I have a friend with a MASSIVE dragster collection. I can ask him.

Those look exactly like the one I have, slightly egg shaped instead of domed, smooth top with no scribes.

I know ICONS put tells all over the XWING.

Max C did to make they were never sold AS ORIGINALS.

So he told me.

Here is a pic of the 1630s I made from the XWING molds I described.

lower.jpg

Noticing the DIAGONAL LINE that has been added to one wing to match the other?

Noticing the DIAGONAL LINE that has been added to one wing to match the other?

I sure do. I believe that line was scribed onto my ICONS wing pattern as another tell.

Also, what I bought back in 2000 only came with two wings, which seemed odd to me at first. And then in looking at the pictures in Chronicles, I realized that ILM only constructed two pyro wing patterns. They then made one mold of each pattern and pulled two resin castings out of each one to make a complete set of four for each pyro buildup. This is what convinced me that what this guy was selling back in 2000 was not actually a kit, but a set of patterns.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back