New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

If true, it could explain rose being in the anniversary special as opposed to Martha or Donna. IF they wanted 9 (which has been put out there), 9+rose = bad wolf......just saying.

Awesome episode. I was a bit wary, not the biggest fan of Gatiss' efforts, but that was solid stuff. I hope we get to see more of the Ice Warriors (but not too much like the Dalek overuse).

Really glad also that we didn't see whats-his-name fully exposed out of his armor.

Anyone else get the feeling that the professor from this most recent episode is more than meets the eye?

He seemed very strangely intent on getting information on Clara and The Doctor and was also spared by the Ice Warrior.

-Nick

I'm super tired of the "victory via lecture" trope that has been the mainstay of the moffat years. "Cold War" seemed REALLY strong until the very end, where they once again dipped into moffats bag of trick for the big finish, which essentially has the Doctor talking the bad guy out of being bad. Sigh.

I really miss RTD. I really really really liked cold war up unti the finale. I dare say it was one of the strongest episodes of the past few seasons until that part. Oh well.

I'm super tired of the "victory via lecture" trope that has been the mainstay of the moffat years. "Cold War" seemed REALLY strong until the very end, where they once again dipped into moffats bag of trick for the big finish, which essentially has the Doctor talking the bad guy out of being bad. Sigh.

I really miss RTD. I really really really liked cold war up unti the finale. I dare say it was one of the strongest episodes of the past few seasons until that part. Oh well.

Agreed, but he never stops there. He mostly has the Doctor achieve incomplete victory with his speech and his companion has to step in to seal the deal. I get trying to put some emphasis on the companions, but to have them be the source of victory every time makes you question why the show is named for The Doctor.

...Especially with Clara being new to traveling with The Doctor, I don't feel she should be this empowered yet.

I look at Rose in The Christmas Invasion as how most companions would naturally respond. She had been traveling withThe Doctor for a while and yet when it came down to it, she just couldn't deliver on her speech well enough to make a difference.

I preferred when The Doctor gave ultimatums (Again, see The Christmas Invasion) so we got the speechifying, but then if that didn't work, he'd still finish off the alien menace. I mean, there were so many ways they could have finished off an alien on board a nuclear sub!

Oh well...still solid.

-Nick

Agreed, but he never stops there. He mostly has the Doctor achieve incomplete victory with his speech and his companion has to step in to seal the deal. I get trying to put some emphasis on the companions, but to have them be the source of victory every time makes you question why the show is named for The Doctor.

...Especially with Clara being new to traveling with The Doctor, I don't feel she should be this empowered yet.

I look at Rose in The Christmas Invasion as how most companions would naturally respond. She had been traveling withThe Doctor for a while and yet when it came down to it, she just couldn't deliver on her speech well enough to make a difference.

I preferred when The Doctor gave ultimatums (Again, see The Christmas Invasion) so we got the speechifying, but then if that didn't work, he'd still finish off the alien menace. I mean, there were so many ways they could have finished off an alien on board a nuclear sub!

Oh well...still solid.

-Nick

Yeah... Rose saved The Doctor in the VERY FIRST EPISODE! This isn't new and it's not like Davis wasn't just as guilty. Defeat with speech? The whole point is The Doctor wins the day with non-violent methods - Even back to the old series (though, in the old series The Doctor usually just pulled a pin and the house the bad guys built would crumble by itself).

I'm ok with the doctor winning the day with non violent methods. I get it. BUT it seems that his ONLY non violent weapon is the big speech. Usually calling upon some element of the human condition in order to seal the deal.

I think of episodes like when Tennant defeated the Sontarans, Davros, The Slitheen... heck ANYONE, and I see that while the doctor typically did employ non violent methods (Ie, he didn't missle anyone, or stab anyone) he certainly did a lot more than just lecture them into submission. Or have some person from the episode wish them into submission. Or cry them into submission.

oh well.

I'm ok with the doctor winning the day with non violent methods. I get it. BUT it seems that his ONLY non violent weapon is the big speech. Usually calling upon some element of the human condition in order to seal the deal.

I think of episodes like when Tennant defeated the Sontarans, Davros, The Slitheen... heck ANYONE, and I see that while the doctor typically did employ non violent methods (Ie, he didn't missle anyone, or stab anyone) he certainly did a lot more than just lecture them into submission. Or have some person from the episode wish them into submission. Or cry them into submission.

oh well.

I just re-watched "The Sontaren Stratagem/ Poison Sky" oddly enough. Honestly, while a good story on the whole, it didn't seem very "Doctorly" to stop the alien menace by setting their air supply on fire.:lol

I kept waiting for the professor to ask the Doctor how many lights he saw...

Madred,_four_lights.jpg

I guess I must not hate Moffat as much as the rest of you, I haven't really noticed the "victory by lecture" trope enough to be annoyed by it. The occasional "you know my reputation, do yourself a favor and back off" maybe, but I rather liked that tactic when it was available and used sparingly.

I'll still take lecturing to victory over Ten's "I hate guns SOOO much, people who touch guns are evil, you had your warning now I will destroy you in a way much more cruel and unusual than just shooting you in the face" bit.

That sonic screwdriver gets more ridiculous each episode. It should unscrew things, not track invisible creatures and remotely detonate missiles.

Liam Cunningham was good.

Word. Moffat's worse at endings than Stephen King.

Cold War was okay, but full of overplayed stereotypes, and overfamiliar situations. The end really shot it's bolt, as already stated. After Chris Chibnall, Gatiss is the worst regular writer.

Agreed about the last episode "cold war"

First act was strong and built up the story and suspence nicely

But the second act just murdered it and it felt like a rushed ending

Regardless of story matters, does anyone else feel like the budget might have taken a hit this season? The new opening titles and much of the FX are seriously lacking. (In comparison to the last few seasons, which have been marvelously cinematic.)

I haven't noticed a drop off in FX quality. If the titles are "cheap" looking I think that's intentional as the current ones are clearly nostalgic throwback ones (which I digging the heck out of). Making new titles with new music still costs more than using the same credits they've used since Matt came on and changing the second billing. It's also a BBC budget, so the FX is always going to be a touch lacking.

However, if they are throwing less money at the FX hopefully it's so they can save it for the anniversary episode.

I guess I must not hate Moffat as much as the rest of you, I haven't really noticed the "victory by lecture" trope enough to be annoyed by it. The occasional "you know my reputation, do yourself a favor and back off" maybe, but I rather liked that tactic when it was available and used sparingly.

I'll still take lecturing to victory over Ten's "I hate guns SOOO much, people who touch guns are evil, you had your warning now I will destroy you in a way much more cruel and unusual than just shooting you in the face" bit.

YES! Agreed completely!

That sonic screwdriver gets more ridiculous each episode. It should unscrew things, not track invisible creatures and remotely detonate missiles.

Liam Cunningham was good.

It's done more than unscrew screws since its inception! In fact in the entire 50 years of the show its only unscrewed things half a dozen times.

The very first one, with the Second Doctor it cut open a wall and hacked a computer! Ten used his to scan numerous times, and done similar things than Eleven's sonic has done.

As for the episode, I quite liked it. Other Doctors have talked the enemy down before, and other companions had their time talking to the major bads too. It is not new ground but was very enjoyable to me!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back