Punisher 1989 Props - Skull Daggers!

Blade testing, these aren't as long but the beefiness is there
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416971326.727654.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416971339.470200.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut the handle long ways and ground the slot for the tang... Fit the handle and glued it down..
The next one I will cast the handle around the tang so it's one piece and solid... The skull on this one will be drilled and glued down..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209615.174704.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209629.574405.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417209641.747901.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made an account just to post on this thread. I'm a long time Punisher fan and the 89 version is bad ass. Dolph kills it, the only thing missing for me was the skull shirt. Check out the "extended/uncut' version if you dig '89 Punisher. It has like 15 min of deleted scenes at the start.

I like what you have going on with the handle. I would be into a resin handle or 2 and if you get some brass/bronze pommels I would be into that as well. I'm thinking of putting one together with something like this as a base:
dsfsf.JPG

I think after I dissemble it and a little grinding here and there it will make for a good blade blank. The hilt needs to move up some then depending on the pieces I'll grind down the hilt parts to size. The pommel I might carve from a small chunk of aluminum then tap it so it can thread on. Get the parts fitted then epoxy and screw it together. Should be an ok medium between display and "real"

I think what someone said earlier is correct. It's a custom job from some existing parts. I think the blade was some sort of ground down WW2 German bayonet or possibly a more modern version from the Vietnam era. I think as far as the production design goes they wanted the knives to feel like Frank had made these himself in mass quantities. So the construction is somewhat quick but they get the job done sort of thing. And army surplus would be something Frank has his hand in so bunches of bayonets he could score easily. I almost look at the construction as "trench art" in nature. Frank could have perfected this type of quick/easy-ish to build dagger out of necessity way back in Vietnam.

Anyway can't wait to see more and after I get somewhere with mine I will post some pics.

E-mail me if you would be into hooking me up with some grips.

Last edited:
Yeah it's pretty close to the blade pictures. The movie blade looks slightly thinner/slimmer and maybe slightly longer then the one I found. For me the slim/narrow blade and the "triangle" grind at the bottom were important to try to match. You can get these daggers and ones similar for around $10 shipped. Check out ebay for 13.5" Ornate Daggers... if your patient you can score one for like $5-$7ish. Got mine coming for $6.

Nice work on the dagger. I would be into a black resin handle for sure. I don't know the rules exactly as far as buying so just email me and we can figure something out.
Any idea on getting the skull pommel cast in metal? Even a really raw metal cast I could finish up and tap. That would be cool :)

I was doing a little more research on this recently. I kept looking at the Skye Fairbarns British commando knife as being the closest comparable blade

20131029130456.jpg

but then I remembered that the Punisher 89 production was shot in Australia! Here is the Australian commando knife.

gregsteelwooden.jpg

Maybe that was the main piece of inspiration for the knife?

Those are pretty similar looking. I wonder what or if they used for bayonets around there. If you wanted to do one up like the British version this ebay dagger looks similar:
pakistancopy.JPG
But I still think it was some kind of bayonet.
m16bayonet.JPG

The hilt is the thing that gets me. It has a V shape and no service knife has that. And the bayonets have that triangle grind at the base but they have an odd shaped lug that must be changed out for the custom V shaped hilt in the movie or something.

What about the color after casting the skull? I don't want to have it plated now that I think about it. Aluminum cast maybe?
I'm thinking I would take the black resin handle and possibly a cast skull(or at least a resin one). The hilt I think I will try to make a V shaped one out of some brass strips I have. Shoot me some prices so I can start thinkin on it :)

I looked around to see if I could come up with an idea for a pommel and I found this:
hilt.jpg

Its a stainless steel skull pendant on ebay for around $5. Could grind off some off the lower jaw and smooth out the features as much as possible without going all the way through. Also the inside is hollow so maybe a nut could be welded/tacked inside so it can tighten down.

Took a tip from a fella on a Knife discussion group about a blade to match the dagger in the film, I don't believe it's the one but I was really impressed with how it looked overall and got one to turn into a replica dagger. It's called a "Pig Sticker" the particular one I bought is made by a company called "Bladerunner"

KBRPS20.jpg

That is beautiful. Epically beautiful. *touching my screen in a perfectly natural and not in any way creepy manner*

Have you considered a quantity of these?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back