A definative list of Moonraker studio models?

JMChladek

Sr Member
I've got a question that has been bugging me for a bit. I am curious as to if anyone has come up with a definitive list of the different sizes of shuttle studio models used for the James Bond film Moonraker?

I know they had some big ones for the closeups of the orbiters, as well as the launch configuration shuttles. I know that Airfix shuttles were docked to the Drax orbiting complex, but I don't quite know the size and or scale of the salt shuttle (the one that dropped salt out the back to simulate rocket exhaust contrails) or the one on the rail track that popped the SRBs off.

Reason I ask is I've started work on a Monogram 1/72 Shuttle with ET and SRBs that I am building as Moonraker 6. I recall PHArchivist a few years back built a 1/72 orbiter as a Moonraker for the studio scale forum as the details of the sizes of studio models used were just sketchy enough to justify it. But I figure there might be better data out there today and I was wondering if I could justify it as studio scale or should I just keep it in General Modeling? Its no biggie eitherway, but my intent is not to just slap Moonraker decals on an OOB Monogram stack and call it even as I am modifying my model with unique Moonraker features, such as the smooth ET intertank (looks like an oversized Airfix tank), no foam texture on the tank and modified SRBs to take away some of their realistic appearance. The orbiter itself will likely have some details that more closely match the studio model as well in spots (I haven't quite decided there).

Thanks in advance.

I've went ahead and pressed on anyway. No biggie as if the data about the models isn't there, then it isn't. In any event, in the general modeling forum, I am building a 1/72 Moonraker stack using the Monogram full stack shuttle kit for the pieces. I was tempted to put it here after following the thread PHArchivist did a few years ago, but since I am modifying a model rather then going full studio replica, I felt it would work better there. But, I am trying as much as possible to build it as accurate to many of the studio model details I can find (such as backdating some of the details off the ET and SRBs to make them look like oversized Airfix models). Hopefully my results will look the part. :)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back