Question Post count never goes up (answered)

Mega Gigan

For as long as I can remember my post count has always been 535. I've posted several times in off-topic (which I'm not sure if that even counts). But recently, I've posted in Replica Props and Junkyard, but for some reason it always stays at 535.

Did I happen to fall into some posting funk or something? Am I missing something?

Edit: It only went up to 536 when I posted here... that's really odd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Post count never goes up

Posting in the OT or Junkyard doesn't up your post count, but posting in the Replica Props section should increase your tally.

Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members could clarify things, I'm just too damn tired to go and check the CoC. :sleep

Invicta is correct, the reason being is that both the OT and Junkyard forums are auto pruned unlike everything else. So if they counted to your post count, the count would go up then things get pruned and it would go back down.

I think it's time to do away with this.

Treating the OT and Junkyard members like non-participants is insulting and it was meant as an insult from it's inception.

DH,

Whew... if you are actually insulted by post counts or the lack thereof... don't mean to be condescending but just how thin is your skin?

Looking back at this from a historical perspective, the Junkyard is a self-serving forum and the OT doesn't have anything to do with the main purpose of the site and is seen more as a member perk (much like the Junkyard) and community builder. Post counts weren't eliminated from there as an insult. They were eliminated because posting in those forums doesn't add to the main focus of the site in the same way as posting meaningful content to the main forums. With that being said, I will tell you that the idea of using post counts as a way of judging a members worth is a VERY antiquated practice and we have been toying with introducing a more robust award type system as is seen on sites such as foursquare.com. Those guys have the awards system NAILED and in the bag!

I thought the post counts from the OT and Junkayrd were nixed because they were pruned and when that was happening people's counts were going down as threads were deleted.

I thought the post counts from the OT and JY were nixed because they were pruned and when that was happening people's counts were going down as threads were deleted.
That is also correct. When we instituted the policy of pruning those forums, there was concern that members would see their post count go down and panic... assuming that the evil moderators were attempting to lessen their worth to the forum. :lol

Seriously though, as Art has pointed out, post count is pretty much irrelevant these days (except for needing 20 to access the Junkyard and OT :D).

Last edited:

Thick skin here and I care not what my post count is, but why not just institute the count again. We had it before.

They were eliminated because posting in those forums doesn't add to the main focus of the site in the same way as posting meaningful content to the main forums.

Not to stir the pot Art, but that comment kind of proves my point. :unsure

Times have changed. A lot of members just can't enjoy or contribute to the hobby like we used too, but we hang out in the OT to remain a part of the community. Does it make us less meaningful to the community?

the OT doesn't have anything to do with the main purpose of the site and is seen more as a member perk

I disagree. The OT is just as essential as the prop forum in that it has allowed the RPF to grow into the family that we are. It has also helped us build a trust and weed out those who wish to harm the forum and the hobby.

How can you even suggest the OT is just as essential as the prop forum? It has nothing to do with props which is rather the "entire" point of this forum.

If you're feeling left out, why not build a prop and join the party?

As Art said, the OT is a perk. I view it as background noise. If someone wants to post there, it doesn't matter to me at all. But, to suggest it contributes anything to the hobby in general is stretching it.

I can read half of everything on there on front page AOL. More often than not people just copy and paste todays news.

As far as post counts go. They reflect how active someone is on a given forum. The people who object to this the most seem to be those who contribute the least. Present company excluded, of course.

The first thing I look at is members join date. That means the most to me.

I'd love to see a ranking system for years served on the RPF. Something that starts around the five year mark. Perhaps stars under a members name and then at 10 years, a set of wings or something.

I think it's important to recognize those who have been here for years. It gives the news guys something to shoot for and it makes it easy to identify the veterans which would also help in the Junkyard. One could identify those of us with a track record at a glance.

-Rylo

I disagree. The OT is just as essential as the prop forum in that it has allowed the RPF to grow into the family that we are. It has also helped us build a trust and weed out those who wish to harm the forum and the hobby.

Times have changed. A lot of members just can't enjoy or contribute to the hobby like we used too, but we hang out in the OT to remain a part of the community. Does it make us less meaningful to the community?

I completely understand where you are coming from and the activity metrics for the site certainty prove you correct. The OT has indeed taken on a more significant role as a community builder during these difficult economic times. However, that doesn't change the fact that the majority of the content posted in the OT does not directly further the primary purpose of the site... which is why it is considered OT... off the main topic of the site.

When I said "meaningful" posts, I wasn't implying posts in the OT are utterly without value, only that by and large they do not add to the primary purpose of the site.

While I agree that the OT has indeed succeeded in some aspects as a community builder, there are two sides to that coin. More staff time is spent moderating content from the OT and we get more complaints from the OT (except for new members soliciting outside the Junkyard) than any other forum. The OT has been witness to some of our most heated battles which has generated some serious animosity between certain members.

Is the feeling of community just as essential as the movie prop forum? Yes. Is the OT specifically just as essential... well, not in my opinion.

Personally, I come here for replica props, not chatting about life in general. Everyone has his/her own take on what's important. For me, OT could go away tomorrow and it would be weeks before I even noticed ;)

Well said. :thumbsup

Personally, I come here for replica props, not chatting about life in general. Everyone has his/her own take on what's important. For me, OT could go away tomorrow and it would be weeks before I even noticed ;)

I think there is still a misunderstanding here.

If we included posts from the OT and Junkyard forums in your post count, when those threads are pruned (old threads removed), any of your posts in those forums will be removed form you post count anyway.

So there is absolutely no reason to count posts that will be removed on a regular basis.

Last edited:

No misunderstanding here! I get it and agree. :thumbsup

I think there is still a misunderstanding here.

If we included posts from the OT and Junkyard forums in your post count, when those threads are pruned (old threads removed), any of your posts in those forums will be removed form you post count anyway.

So there is absolutely no reason to count posts that will be removed on a regular basis.

If you're feeling left out, why not build a prop and join the party?

Like many here, I don't build. I buy. I give money to those who do build.

That's another thing that is becoming irritating. The "builders" looking down at those of us who don't build and now that most of us are hanging on economically by a thread, we're outcast even more because we can't even buy things anymore.

Oh well.

Points have been made. I'll move on. Thank you Gentlemen.

DH,

Not sure why you are choosing to take a victim's mentality here. Buyers are just as important as sellers because the truth is, many builders couldn't afford to build if they couldn't recoup their costs from buyers like you.

The fact that economic times are tough and you may not be able to buy as much as you would like doesn't lessen your worth or value as a board member... but regardless of the economic condition, you can still "join the party" as Rylo puts it because there is a lot more to the prop community than just building. For me (not a builder) it is all about researching and building connections... I haven't spent any real $$$ on props in quite a while but I can still contribute to purpose of the site, even without building something or spending $$$, and so can you!

I don't understand why post counts or join dates should influence people on individuals worth to the group?
I am a relative new member to the group but like to think I give as much as I take. I join in discussions and like to give advice too if I think it merits it's worth. I buy a lot in the MP much to my wifes dissmay:lol but I sell as well, not just finished props but parts I have had made to make other peoples life easier.
Just because I have a newish join date or a lowish post count does that make me not a valued member?

DH,

Not sure why you are choosing to take a victim's mentality here.

Art, only because I have been "called out" a couple of times on the RPF. In fact, I had a thread started in my honor asking exactly what my purpose was on the RPF since I didn't seem to contribute (build) anything and hung out on the OT 100% of the time (yes, they even dug up my posting record and made it public). Imagine my surprise logging on and seeing my name the topic of a thread, especially when I didn't rip anyone off or do anyone harm.

This single thread brought out the worst and the best of the RPF membership as those who think you have to be a builder to really be an RPF member really spoke their mind against the OT'ers. It also created a divide against those who are basically RPF consumers and those who produce. I don't know if you remember that thread, but it came to the point where one group (the builders) were pushing to have the OT nuked because it served no purpose to the hobby. The OT'ers ended up feeling like they had to justify their existence here, giving detailed info on their life and economic situations that either prevent them from building or buying. No one should ever have to do that.

Funny, it was after this particular thread that post counts were stopped for OT post, then it went to Junkyard.

Again, I don't care what my post count is, but it seems like a reminder of that thread and the "class" division on the RPF.

well I didn't see this before i started a thread asking the same original question. and for me the post count don't really matter i was just wondering if something was wrong with my account. I visit this site just about every day to check out the Junkyard, OT and RP sections. I haven't been here as long as most of you but I have picked up on who is who and if I'm looking to buy something this is the best way to judge I think. post count don't really matter when you get to know the builders here the reputation they have. And as far as advice goes again post count don't really matter when you have a good or bad reputation.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back