This Y Wing pic is confusing me - What's going on here?

Cool picture!:loveThanks Jason!
I'm not sure if these are from ESB era,but if this screen capture is Gold3,
Maybe Gold3 in ESB era didn't have an R2 unit just like ANH Gold3 doesn't.
So in my opinion,those pics are from ROJ era.

Does anyone have any good, clear shots of the prototype Y Wing? That would be a cool build...

A few scattered about...

1090959.jpg

dscf7170.jpg

screenhunter011.png

screenhunter012.png

I'd really like to see a build of this y-wing by McQuarrie. It's hard to see details because of the angle, but I think it's the sexiest y-wing. Love the proportions and how sleek it is. Just my 2 cents...

Hmmm, is it possible the thruster bells on this Y could be F1 wheel rims?
Checked the Yardley but there not quite right.

Also, the centre of the neck, that cylinder? AMT fuel tank? It seems to have two ribs, but Sealab would be too large?

lee

Great pics !

I'm interested in that X-Wing in the background :love

I guess it's one of the smaller (AMT ?) X-Wings from RotJ.

Any detail shots of that outthere ??

The forward section looks like two LM Garage doors from the 1/48th Revell kit, though I don't have it to check.

Is someone planning to make this ugly little duckling? :lol

I think this Y quite dainty and graceful, more so the one with the Spitfire canopy.
I too, so prefer the concept X wing to the screen chosen model, but, different strokes i guess.
If i had a toss up, id LOVE to build the X wing, but ref is VERY hard to come by.

lee

I love how the ILM'ers incorporated parts from Cantwell's proto type. LEM "garage" shrouds, Me109, Hawker hurricane all used on the studio model.

Steve

Hey Y Wing guys.... heres some "aint it cool" studio scale info.... The engine "T" rod on the Gold Leader (TIE Killer) Y Wing is not manufactured T. It's actualy "I" beam with with one side sanded/cut down...

These models continue to add mystery to what the heck were they thinking?

Jason.. that build schedule is probally one of the coolest things ive seen, backs my contention that the red jammer was indeed a hero Y and was sent to England for full scale reference. Was told by an ILMer it was the first one completed (half anyway)

**added info** TIE killer aka Gold Leader has a metal armeture with all the mounting points. It also has electrical socket inputs hidden under detail on the top and bottom of the body.

Its cool to see these pieces still have mysteries to uncover!

Steve

Look! "Gold 3" with no snake pipes...
No pipes and no droid socket either. Nice picture Flintlock!

Does this back-up the reports that Gold 3 started out as a "pyro" and was modified to be used as a "hero" in ESB when there was a shortage of Y-Wings already? Or is it simply that the model was not finished when the picture was taken?

Also, regarding the Red Y-Wing Prototype ("Red Jammer"): when finished it looked good enough to be a "hero" model (as mentioned by Steve), but for some reason it was never filmed. The Blue Leader X-Wing was simply repainted as Red Two and filmed, so why didn't they re-paint the Red Y-Wing and use it?

The only thing I can think of is that "Red Jammer" did not have engine effects (lights). The pictures which have been made available seem to show the standard heat sinks in the engines, but "Red Jammer" is missing the red-colored, high-temperature epoxy or glass filter in the center of the heat sink.

All hero models with engine lights have the red filter in the center of the heat sink. Even the 3-foot long "large" X-Wing has something similar.

Correct - no lights in Red Jammer as far as I could see... Thank god they didn't repaint it (past what they did with oversprays, lol)

0391.jpg

0397.jpg

So these shots are from the ESB era, yes?
I don't think so. There was a very visible dark streak added to the left side of the left engine - that streak does not appear in the ESB clip nor pictures taken during ANH - I suspect the streak was added later (please see attached). Unless, of course, the image was reversed.

Also note that this ship ("Gold 3") has side mounts on the engines and a lower fuselage mount (like hero Y's do) but no nose mount (like ROTJ Pyros and Bill George's Y-Wing).

Lastly, the original hero ILM Y-Wings had pilot figures inside. Neither "Red Jammer" nor "Gold Three" has a pilot figure.

So, was "Gold 3" an unexploded pyro (like Lorne Peterson wrote) which had details added to look more "hero" and filmed in ESB?

Lastly, the original hero ILM Y-Wings had pilot figures inside. Neither "Red Jammer" nor "Gold Three" has a pilot figure.

There is no actual proof of this. Detailed cockpits yes, pilots...?

Maybe in the tie killer, but the aged canopy glass makes it nearly impossible to tell.

That's the reason I've been saying that something might have happened before ROJ and Gold3 in ROJ seemed have a pyro fuselage.Are there any other Y that has blue panels with white line on the sides of the cockpit?The steak can be added after ESB.

I don't think so. There was a very visible dark streak added to the left side of the left engine - that streak does not appear in the ESB clip nor pictures taken during ANH - I suspect the streak was added later (please see attached). Unless, of course, the image was reversed.

Also note that this ship ("Gold 3") has side mounts on the engines and a lower fuselage mount (like hero Y's do) but no nose mount (like ROTJ Pyros and Bill George's Y-Wing).

So, was "Gold 3" an unexploded pyro (like Lorne Peterson wrote) which had details added to look more "hero" and filmed in ESB?

Are there any other Y that has blue panels with white line on the sides of the cockpit? The streak can be added after ESB.
The only two Y-wings that I know of with faded blue on the side of the cockpit section, and a single white stripe (also on the side) were "Gold 3" and the Bill George buiild.

Gold Leader and Gold Two had the opposite - white on the side of the cockpit section, and a single blue/gray stripe. Also . . .

"Gold 3" had two white stripes on the top of the faded blue/gray canopy.
"Gold 2" had one white stripe on the top of the blue/graycanopy.
"Gold Leader" had no white stripes on the top of the blue/gray canopy.
"Gold Five" (Pops) had no stripes on the top of the canopy, which appeared to be all white.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back