This Y Wing pic is confusing me - What's going on here?

There are some 1/12 Tamiya Ferrari.

kh39, it's pics like these that make me think the whole ship was base-coated in white, like the X Wing, and only the fuselage and engine sections were dirtied up, and hence darkened...

BTW... do you have any more pictures like this one? This is one I had not seen until now...

And what about this one? It doesn't look CG, yet when you look close at the details, they appear to be way off from the ANH versions... It's not Bill George's Y either... SOME of the detail parts are the same as the ANH version, though...

I am not sure where I got this pic, so my apologies.

And what about this one? It doesn't look CG, yet when you look close at the details, they appear to be way off from the ANH versions... It's not Bill George's Y either... SOME of the detail parts are the same as the ANH version, though...

The canopy seems totally wrong. Far too high.

What makes you think the MoM Y is a pyro? I don´t think so... It looks just as well made as the other heros, and there´s some pics which show it with the same parts as the other heros which now differ, even one more part on top of the original Tyrell engine part on the back. It´s got several mounting points, had lighting... Or were the ANH pyros built equally well?
Darth, I'm basing my guess on the following sources (although there is some conflicting information):

According to Lorne Peterson in “Sculpting A Galaxy” (2006), only two (heroes) were originally built. That book also mentions that one hero was given to 20th Century Fox Executive Alan Ladd Jr. as a gift, and that, at the time of filming ROTJ, no hero Y-Wings were available, only an unexploded “pyro” which was seen at the end of “Empire Strikes Back”.

According to Star Wars dot com databank, three Y-wings were built, but they don't specify prototype/hero/pyro.

A third source (the Internet Movie Data Base) reports that the "remaining two Y-Wings were deemed unsuitable for use by the time ROTJ was to be filmed. ILM needed a new Y-Wing hero model, so they decided to use a home-made model built by Bill George before he even joined ILM."

I'm pretty sure Gold Leader (Dutch) and Gold Two (Tyree) were the two heroes that Peterson mentioned, and both are now in private collections.

That leaves "Red Jammer" (considered a prototype and not a hero filmining model), and "Gold 3" (the MOM Y-Wing). Gold 5 (Pops) was apparently destroyed during the filming of ANH.

Remember, some of those ANH pyros looked pretty good (have you seen pictures of the Red 12 X-Wing?) And Gold 5 looked very detailed from far away, even though it was a pyro.

I'm convinced that the MOM Y-wing is the one that Peterson mentioned, and I think I spotted it in ESB just like he wrote. In that scene, it even had its engine lights "on"! (pyros normally don't have lighting effects)

As for why it looks more detailed than expected for a pyro, I have no idea. I agree that offhand it doesn't look like a pyro. I can tell you that members on this forum have discovered pyros with hero-like features (see old X-Wing posts). Maybe they "re-worked" it for ESB?

Summary: (original ANH Y-Wing models only; just my theory)
Red Jammer - prototype - never filmed
Gold Leader - [hero model] used in ANH & never seen again (now in private collection as per SWPropmaker)
Gold Two - [hero model] used in ANH & never seen again (presumably this was the one given to Alan Ladd Jr.)
Gold Three - reported to be a pyro, possibly reworked & used in ESB only, became the MoM model
Gold Five - [pyro model] - destroyed in ANH & never seen again
Plus at least two other pyros built for ANH (tp portray the deaths of Dutch & Tyree), and four more for ROTJ
Note: some of the "missing" models have been seen in many books, but there is no way to determine when those pictures were taken - the books don't say.

Last edited:
I've seen that picture - some of the markings look like they were trying to replicate Gold Leader. Nice model, but I don't think it's an ILM Y-Wing.

That is Argonauts kit built by Mr. Kasamatsu.Here's a link.http://www.interq.or.jp/sun/mm-kas/tenji.htm

As for the exhibition pics,I took a few pics.Please let me know your email address.I can send them in full-size.

Two Y heros seems to be corroborated by GKVFX's post from a couple months ago - Project 506 (Y-Wing) seems to only refer to two ships being built with armatures/electronics... buuut one of those is certainly the Red Y, as it's shown being sent to England.

attachment.php

Hmm Mallasch...i recall you pondering him a while back Jason, still not seen his name anywhere....a mystery builder? Or me being very dense LOL.

lee

I'm not sure if this help,but the cockpits of redY and Tie killer Y have different raised panel
from the other Y like Gold3 and 5.

Red Y and Tie killer Y don't have consoles.

Well from the reference of the "tie killer" it does not seem to have the "hero" cockpit the rest of the Y's had. It has something, unlike the red Y, but not as detailed as the MOM Y and the others. It still has the window panes and a pilot figure of sorts, which make it VERY hard to see what's going on inside. The rest of the so called hero models are very close detail wise to the tie killer. But the "tie killer" incorporates many more donor parts than the others. Literally every nook and crany is covered.

The MOM was definitly a hero Y, its just lost several parts over the years that make it "whole" so to speek.

Well from the reference of the "tie killer" it does not seem to have the "hero" cockpit the rest of the Y's had. It has something, unlike the red Y, but not as detailed as the MOM Y and the others. It still has the window panes and a pilot figure of sorts, which make it VERY hard to see what's going on inside. The rest of the so called hero models are very close detail wise to the tie killer. But the "tie killer" incorporates many more donor parts than the others. Literally every nook and crany is covered.

The MOM was definitly a hero Y, its just lost several parts over the years that make it "whole" so to speek.

Thank you for the info!I though the something I see in the cockpit was cable for lightnig lazer cannon just like X-wings.
Tie killer is attractive,but since I could not get references as much as I wanted,I'm doing MOM version.

This is a screen capture of ending scene from ESB.I'm wondering if this is MOMY.
This doesn't seem to have a panel on the left end of the cockpit just like black and white picture taken during ROJ,
but burn marks on the side panel look like right side and burn mark on the sturnV isn't there.Strange!

Last edited:
Yep. The Tyrrell also has the same part. Perhaps it was reworked for ESB and that's when it acquired a lot of its variant parts - like the ion guns as well. This is the same Y that's shown in the Star Wars to Indy book.

Ahhh i got ya Ron, so in the SW to Indy, it lost that brake caliper, and yes i think any Ford DFV F1 would do here buddy, so yep a Tyrrell would fit the bill, though id bet they bagged it from a Yardley back in the day?

lee

Wow, interesting pic, Gold 3 seems to have this strange part which sits on top of the neck just where it meets the fuselage, right behind the droid socket, some bent piping, I noticed it in the FM kit for the first time as it seems to be missing on most Ys now. Slowly I´m beginning to think every paint chip on Gold 3´s body comes from a missing part, not intentional weathering! :lol

Yep. The Tyrrell also has the same part. Perhaps it was reworked for ESB and that's when it acquired a lot of its variant parts - like the ion guns as well. This is the same Y that's shown in the Star Wars to Indy book.

Motor bike Ion cannon was not there on Gold three at ROJ,but according to the ILM video in Laser disc,it has motor bike cannon instead of messer shumit.
The video should had been taken before the tour.I also found that that the saturnV is not parallel to the fuselage.
If the Ywing in the ending scene of ESB is the same GoldY,I would say something might had happened bereo ROJ and I guess pyro fuselage replaced the original the fuselage.
FerrariT4 was released in 1979 so I think the Gold3 in ESB was still in the same looking as Gold3 in ANH.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back