need help hiding a projector in something

bxstrmn

I'm in the middle of remodeling my home theater and wanted to go with a projector which will be mounted to the ceiling. I will have my props and other movie related items through out the room but I wanted the projector hidden if possible maybe in a ship or something, so just looking for what you guys think would work that can be mounted to the ceiling with a projector inside

You guys are quick, thanks, as far as theme there is nothing specific. The props I have are all life size and 1:1 busts, a full batsuit as well but random movies

I had mine in an R2 dome I made from cardboard once. It was kinda cool..except poor r2 was hanging upside down. I removed a couple of panels and replaced with a black mesh for ventilation.

As for the correct height form the ceiling..I used enough of the body to get the cutout to line up with the projector.

Just remember to make sure the projector can get enough airflow. Some of them can run on hot side, and will overheat pretty easily if they don't have enough circulation.

How about a variation on the duelling machine/robot Paul Atriedes fought in Dune? That came down from the ceiling.

Considering the projector lens is on the same side (on mine at any rate) as the cockpit on the Millennium Falcon..could you hollow out one of the larger toys and hang it from the ceiling . The projection wold have to come out of the front of the cockpit...which could be made removable.

My suggestion would just be to make it look like some sort of 'tech'. A non-descript piece of machinery that looks futuristic, as opposed to disguising it in a toy. You'll have better luck blending it in with the props on display and you do have to take some practical matters into consideration - access to cables, changing of bulbs, cooling etc. I say you go Blade Runner on it and make a Syd Mead style case for it.

Gene

hmm, maybe making a custom case of some sort might not be a bad idea. I may have to wait to see the final look of the room, because all the props will be in white display cases, so it maybe the only thing not closed off in a case which may make it look out of place. it doesn't seem like the will be a simple answer to this one just yet. Thanks for the input, if anyone has pics of what they have seen done in the past or of their own I would love to see it.:thumbsup

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back