Star Trek:TNG lamp/flashlight; has this been identified?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You know the ones. Early in the seasons, they carried these flashlight/lamps in the palms of their hands and carried them at about shoulder level. They were small an compact, about the size of a folded tricorder. Have these been identified?

I have no idea. :lol

Well if you're talking about the ones in this picture:
pdvd071.jpg

Then they're the lens section of a first alert flashlight:
IMG_5845.jpg

I think that's it! I don't remember them being that big, but there'ste pic.
So, if the front portion is removed, will the lamp still work or will it need to be modified?

Awesome! Anybody got a source for these babies? I searched all over the internet, but nothing came up...

Except this: http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Fir...e-Light-with-Plug-In-and-Swivel-Head-MIB-1979

I think I've read somewhere that they had wires running under their sleeves and a battery pack hidden somewhere for those to work. I'm not sure if that's referring to these kinds of lights specifically, since there were quite some variations of them over the years.

I think I've read somewhere that they had wires running under their sleeves and a battery pack hidden somewhere for those to work.

I remember hearing the same thing. I think the functionality changed over the years as I seem to remember a scene in DS9 where they had a supply wall of these lights and someone took one out and turned it on. I picked up that first alert on ebay to use for an eventual Firefly Lassiter build. More often you find them in the tan/beige color seen in trek.

Last edited:
I remember hearing the same thing. I think the functionality changed over the years as I seem to remember a scene in DS9 where they had a supply wall of these lights and someone took one out and turned it on.
Correct!

pdvd243.jpg

pdvd245.jpg

DS9 - 3x07 - Civil Defense

Well, they either changed the way the light worked or the sleeve/wire thing applied to some other (smaller?) version, maybe this one:

pdvd015h.jpg

TNG - 3x06 - Booby Trap

The early lights weren't big enough to house strong enough batteries as well as they weren't bright enough, hence the corded versions. There were several designs similar to the ones you posted as well as later lights that were double lights, most often two Surefire brand tactical flashlights with a "case". These were seen strapped to the actors wrists and were bright enough to use as is.

Correct!

pdvd243.jpg

pdvd245.jpg

DS9 - 3x07 - Civil Defense

Well, they either changed the way the light worked or the sleeve/wire thing applied to some other (smaller?) version, maybe this one:

-----------------------------

The one above was made from the ready light head but it was cut down in the center of the body to make it smaller this light ran on (5) 9 volt batt. and 1 quartz halogen bulb. It had a custom bulb holder of silicone to help keep the reflector from melting, but it did any way.

-------------------------------

pdvd015h.jpg

TNG - 3x06 - Booby Trap

--------------------------------

This light from TNG was one of the first lights. It was made from black plex
and a custom machined a acrylic rod. Inside was 3 maglite bulbs side by side. With a switch on the back and a strand of zip cord coming out the back up the arm down the back and leg to the ankle to a 9.6 volt radio control batt. if used to long the batt. would heat up :eek and I can not repeat what was said. The batts. on these did not last very long. So they moved on to the above self contained units.

Hope this helps,

HMS Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, the sheer amount of info you provide and the specific details you recall never stop to amaze me! :eek Thank you a lot, that's great! :)

However, could you clear up the following for me please?

The one above was made from the ready light head but it was cut down in the center of the body to make it smaller
Do you refer here to the head being removed from the rest of the found flashlight or do you mean the head itself was cut in the center and made smaller somehow? If so, what exactly was done to the head and how big was it in the end?

Thanks again! :thumbsup

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I think this will help.

3956812050_cbf75ac74f_o.jpg

HMS Mike

Mike, the sheer amount of info you provide and the specific details you recall never stop to amaze me! :eek Thank you a lot, that's great! :)

However, could you clear up the following for me please?

Do you refer here to the head being removed from the rest of the found flashlight or do you mean the head itself was cut in the center and made smaller somehow? If so, what exactly was done to the head and how big was it in the end?

Thanks again! :thumbsup

I can't belive they went through this much trouble for a lamp! Tey couldn't find a siutable off-the-shelf light and just re-paint it? Seriously??? Was someone in the prop department trying to justify their job?

Hi Guys,
In some cases it's not the Propmaster who wants it changed, In this case it was the director who desided that it was to large in the actors hand in the dark. Things like this happen all the time. I was once told to make some thing 1/32 of an inch smaller in size all the way around the prop. So I did. I made a new cast and used thin primer ( instead of scratch filler primer ) and one coat of color and it was done. You need to keep in mind that the director is in charge so you have to make his vision come to life.
That is what my job is - Making other peoples dreams come true.

HMS Mike

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back