32" Falcon My First Scratch Build

Almost sorted out the lighting which was holding me up. Iwas going to use a LED strip as it was bright & funky but is very expensive. So I am going to make my own to save money. It wont be a strip as such but a box with a line of blue LED's to act for the engines. Lucky the electrician at work is helping me out. Once Ive seen what he does I'll be able to do whatever I need myself. Picked up the rest of my styrene sheeting today. I got 0.50mm, o.75mm & grabbed some 1.00mm while I was at it. Hope to have some good progress on the upper hull over the weekend. Thanks :thumbsup

Well time to get back to some work. Its been too long. I think I need to concentrate on building models rather than the site for a while. Anyway went to Bunnings(Big Hardware store) today as its raining & Ive done more home duties for the day. I needed some mor Locktite & went searching in the plumbing section for piping to make the Falcon Armiture, cause I sort of forgot that part of the build.

Thanks to Doug for setting me straight that armitures are pretty much just threaded pipes & bends or bolts... It was so easy it was confusing me. I hadn't made one before :-/ So any way got me some pipe & a bender thingy. Dunno what the terminoligies are.

I guess I'll pick it up as I go. This will work great for the armiture & I plan on making both sides accessible for display & photos. I want the below turret in tact so no centre armiture, just from either side.

Now all I gotto do is finalise the lighting & the fun parts will start again :D Might cheat & just use a VoodooFX Falcon lighting kit. The lighting stuff does my head in...

Looking great I love that control gel glue myself, you just can't make a mess wit that stuff!!!:lol:thumbsup

Thanks Michael any words are always appreciated from your talented mind. Obiwan also thankyou Im trying to document everything to make it as easy for tha next as possible. The big thanks goes to people like Moe & Frank, Ketzer & all the other guys that nutted this build out. I suggest going back through the pages & looking at all the other builds that have been done. Without them this wouldn't be happenning as I have never scratch built anything before. Happy New Year.

Im seriously pumped to make lots of models this year & Im back on this baby early this morning.
I first started on getting the mandible wells boxed in. Just a little sanding to bring them down the right height to fit in flush & their done.
Then I started on fitting the armiture piping. I made some support brackets with holes cut with my hole saw set that has different sizes/cuages in it. Very handy tool set.
The centre pipe is actually a little too long, like a couple of cm's so I will take it to work tomorrow & get the engineers to shorten it a little & rethread it. I have to do this so it fits the caps.
Drilled some more holes for wiring of lights so everything runs through nice. Will also get the engineers to drill some holes in the pipe to run the power source down through the armiture.
This is coming along real good. Im really happy with the last days progress. I hope to cut the sheets for the top dome today & the lowere dome supports. Have to find some plastic plumbing pipe for the cockpit but I saw that yesterday at the Hardware. Really just the bloody light holding me up...

Last edited:
I know the aluminum is light but the plastic looks a bit thin,
all that metal in the middle won't over power the plastic
over time and cause it to change shape? Looking good these are always my favorite pictures!!:lol:thumbsup

Michael, will the metal warp the acrylic ver time with some weird reaction or what would you suggest. Im the learner & blokes like yourself are who I learn from so if you have an idea or suspicion please let me know rather than have this sucker pop open down the track or something.

That looks cool, I have two Falcon kits, and I can't wait to get those started, but it pales in comparison what you're doing. Great work, looking forward to more WIP images!

Ahh hell scratchy thanks mate but I gotta say my first attempts at scratchbuilding are meager in comparrison to what your doing have done & can do. Your words are very appreciated. Now Ive had some lighting/electrical tutoring from the technician at work & I hope to have this buttoned up in the next week so I can get to the fun stuff. More 3D shapes!

Update. Had a good finish to my day.Well I am certainly having so much fum now I have learnt some new skills. Armatures & now lighting. This has just injected my model building addiction to a whole new level & just can't get enough. Today I picked up some more supplies & shouldn't have to do any more shopping for a while on my 2 big projects. Today I got:
Father Inlaws Soldering Iron( have asked for my own for birthday).
Heat Shrink Tube.
LED's-White, blue, red, green.
10metres of wire.
Resistors.
My first soldering of resistors to LED's, blue for rear engines.
White LED's soldered up for headlights.
9Volt battery for light test.
Lights on! White.
Lights on! Blue
Falcon has headlights! :D
Should have a string of blue LED's hooked up for the engines on the weekend & hopefully button this baby up with some screws & stuff.

Thanks Guy. These models are all about lighting which gives that "Wow!" factor. Its nice to have a handle on achieveing that now. I will add red, green, blue & yellow LED's for the cockpit lighting today. I think the turret wells need some bling aswell so will add the wiring for them also. Fun :)

This is and awesome build, this really looks great! I've been wanting to try my hand at a SS build but just never knew what to built or where to start!
Keep the updates coming this is really getting me thinking!

Cheers everyone. I really appreciate the feedback. I put up a piece of white styrene at the rear of the engines & have some bright circular patterns from the LED's. This will show up when I put the rear cover on which will be a smaokey clear acrylic strip. Any ideas on how to blur or even out the light intensity?

Looks good, Jason. Coming right along.

On diffuse lighting: on my R2, I found that more lights helped,and then I evened out the light with some diffusion plastic that was made for the purpose. Got it at an industrial plastics supply. They had various thicknesses and levels of diffraction.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I'll check out the plastics supplier today. Ive had alot of excellent advice from lots of people & am sure I will have this sorted pretty soon. Thanks everyone. :thumbsup

woooww great work.. this work with the lights are incredible... do you have some scheme about lights with leds?...

congratulations.. you make a great work..

i´m new in this forum.. i´ll publish some of my work at the forum soon..

see u friends..

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back