Building stunt trap AND trap holder! WIP! Update 9-13-09

jt001

Sr Member
Well, the process has begun!

Although I'll build my trap of MDF, I decided to build the battery compartment and front display with 1/16" PVC. I went to Home Depot yesterday and found this huge, thick PVC "for sale" sign. It's not flimsy as the styrene one. It's very rigid, but easy to work with. A little scoring and snip and managed to get those 2 parts done!
icon_smile.gif

Here are some progress shots. I've already filled the seams with putty and tomorrow I'll be doing some sanding and prepping the other parts (while I study from my LSAT test. hehehe) I created real size templates in Illustrator and printed them in cardboard, cut them and traced it over the PVC "for sale" sign.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Last edited:
Re: WIP - Ghostbusters trap (MDF and PVC)

I got some more done today. I took all the parts and did some priming, filling, sanding, more filling, more sanding, then again some more filling, and sanding. After I was done, I did some more filling and sanding, too!

Not much, but here are some pics:

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

That is really neat! I'll keep checking this thread to watch your progress.

Looks good man, You planning on putting wheels on it as well, or keep it static ?

I appreciate your comments! Thanks a lot fellas! :)

Well... I think I'm going to skip the wheels for now. I'm still out of work and just doing some freelance stuff. But it is very possible that I'll add them in a near future.

Since this lil' stunt trap will be hanging on my belt, the wheels won't be seen anyways, so I'll be able to save a few bucks here :)

So far, the total cost of this trap was 2 bucks for the MDF and a few bucks for the glue :) A whole trap for under 10 dollars!

I am happy to say that I am almost done! My very first built, completely from scratch!

Due to my austere budget, I had to improvise with some stuff I had laying around, so you'll see it's a little mix between GB1 and GB2 but hey, it gets the work done!

All I need is to add some little things here and there: make a fake display window... didn't like how the first one turned out. Also see if I can find a round disk to put below one of the knobs... still not sure what to do about that; add some weathering (dry brush, Fuller's Earth) and it'll be ready!

I don't think I'll add wheels for the moment for 2 reasons: since it's a stunt trap, it'll be always hanging on my belt, so no use for wheels here, and second, because I still need to get some stuff for my costume, and money is real tight right now :(

Tomorrow I'll possibly start doing a trap holder! Got an aluminum piece (which I'll be carefully cutting with my orbital jigsaw), piece of black leather, rivets... let's see how that turns out! (That's 2 bucks for the piece of aluminum, and 10 bucks for the rivets and piece of leather... not bad!).

Well, here are some progress shots! Tomorrow is "Weathering trap day"! If you guys notice something that I might have missed, please feel free to post, and your feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

Still filling, sanding

27.jpg

Yep, those are my trap doors. Lovely!

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

Almost final!

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

Re: WIP - Ghostbusters trap - Nearly complete! Update 9-9-09

I can not believe what you have accomplished. That thing is amazing! Great job.

super slick! great work....look for an old skateboard and take the bearing cases out to use for wheels....wont cost much to do that!

super slick! great work....look for an old skateboard and take the bearing cases out to use for wheels....wont cost much to do that!

That is a great idea!!! Thanks! :)

Thanks for the great comments! You guys rock!

That looks great jt001. I love to see a good scratch-built trap; sometimes it feels rare. Nothing against the kit-made ones but to see someone built it from the group up and come out looking that good ( the number by the dials is an oft overlooked detail ) is rare and commendable.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back