Lost

Ah, I can see you've got the correct labels: they're all still at 30 mL! Nice going!

- Master Tej -

Indeed. I found it quite amusing that all of the medications ever shown were 30ml and injectable even what were clearly pill containers. The vial with the pink liquid is actually 30ml ;)

I realize this is likely a long-shot, but I was wondering if anyone here has information on Ben's Journal. I'd love to find the same journal, or a close approximation, to recreate what I can from the prop that was auctioned and collect some of the excellent work in this thread. I've searched The RPF and Google, but am coming up short. Any guidance is appreciated!

Of course, a few hours after I finally ask, I find it. :) For those that may be curious, I'm fairly certain Ben's journal is the Cavallini Roma Lussa 6 x 8 Softbound Leather Journal, either the tan or the chocolate. It's hard to tell from the pictures online and the distressing/aging done to it. You can find them on various sites online, including Amazon.

Nice work then :) I don't suppose you have any screen shots along side the one you found? I didn't think of replicating this prop myself but it would be good to have :thumbsup

Of course, a few hours after I finally ask, I find it. :) For those that may be curious, I'm fairly certain Ben's journal is the Cavallini Roma Lussa 6 x 8 Softbound Leather Journal, either the tan or the chocolate. It's hard to tell from the pictures online and the distressing/aging done to it. You can find them on various sites online, including Amazon.

Sure - see below. There was an auction of Lost props a couple of years ago, so my source images are from those photos. The product shots from Amazon are for the chocolate version. The distinctive cut of the flap and the colors on the bottom edge both lead me to believe it's a match. The only real question I have left is if it's the chocolate or tan. Given the color of the tan (last picture), I'm guessing they lightened the chocolate as part of the aging/weathering. I also have a note from one of the auction articles I read that it's the 6 x 8 version. So there you have it.

The person who won the original auction was kind enough to post pictures of some of the pages, so I have that to start from. I was going to try and contact them about the other contents, but it appears they sold them on eBay. :( Anyway, I'm going for more of the top picture of the auction shot, so I need to age/weather it, come up with other entries, and add inserts (which I'll likely start with items from this thread). Any thoughts on this are always welcome!

Auction Journal.jpgAmazon Journal 1.jpgAmazon Journal 2.jpgAmazon Journal Tan.jpg

That at looks like a spot on match too me, hard to tell if they lightened the chocolate or darkened the tan :confused Likely I'm guessing they lightened the chocolate one but not sure how? Nice find :thumbsup

Sure - see below. There was an auction of Lost props a couple of years ago, so my source images are from those photos. The product shots from Amazon are for the chocolate version. The distinctive cut of the flap and the colors on the bottom edge both lead me to believe it's a match. The only real question I have left is if it's the chocolate or tan. Given the color of the tan (last picture), I'm guessing they lightened the chocolate as part of the aging/weathering. I also have a note from one of the auction articles I read that it's the 6 x 8 version. So there you have it.

The person who won the original auction was kind enough to post pictures of some of the pages, so I have that to start from. I was going to try and contact them about the other contents, but it appears they sold them on eBay. :( Anyway, I'm going for more of the top picture of the auction shot, so I need to age/weather it, come up with other entries, and add inserts (which I'll likely start with items from this thread). Any thoughts on this are always welcome!

View attachment 302993View attachment 302994View attachment 302995View attachment 302996

Thanks! I've been doing some research on distressing leather. It appears that the only solid way to lighten leather is direct sun. Which, thinking about an island environment, might make sense. However, it looks like it's much easier to darken leather. In fact, I'm starting to think that Ben's journal might be the tan that was darkened and given a patina, then weathered. I'm going to keep researching and might reach out for help elsewhere in The RPF. I'll post anything I find here, in case others are interested.

That at looks like a spot on match too me, hard to tell if they lightened the chocolate or darkened the tan :confused Likely I'm guessing they lightened the chocolate one but not sure how? Nice find :thumbsup

So is the original 6x8 or 5x7?

I would have thought it was this one HERE or HERE

I'm leaning toward the Chocolate one though as the colours on the page bottoms match the screen used as the Tan is different colours? Just a thought.

Last edited:
No problem! There's a lot of info on content at http://www.michaelemerson.net/?p=2019 and Karen's LOST Notebook: EXCLUSIVE! More of Ben's Notes. Part 1

I'll do my best to find the reference on the size, but I specifically noted 6 x 8 from a site, which helped solidify things for me on my book choice.

Awesome!! Thanks for posting this.

Link to the Amazon page: Amazon.com - Cavallini Toscana Journals Brown 5 x 7, Hardbound Leather -

Also, here is the Lostpedia entry on Ben's diary and they have photos and text of what is in it:

Ben's diary - Lostpedia - The Lost Encyclopedia

More photos from the inside: First Look at Pages from Ben's Journal | LOST

- - - Updated - - -

You know what - you're right. The colors on the bottom of the page match the chocolate version. Nice catch.

So is the original 6x8 or 5x7?

I would have thought it was this one HERE or HERE

I'm leaning toward the Chocolate one though as the colours on the page bottoms match the screen used as the Tan is different colours? Just a thought.

I took a chance and ordered the chocolate version of the journal noted above. Mine is lighter than pictured, though probably not as light as the prop. I'm going to start looking into aging - either DIY or having someone do this for me. I'm also going to gather entries using the links above and inserts from this thread. Anyway, good luck to anyone else looking to do this journal and let us know if you find anything special to include!

Good luck with it, I'd be interested to see how you get on, so come bk and post up pics when you've got somewhere with it ;):thumbsup

I took a chance and ordered the chocolate version of the journal noted above. Mine is lighter than pictured, though probably not as light as the prop. I'm going to start looking into aging - either DIY or having someone do this for me. I'm also going to gather entries using the links above and inserts from this thread. Anyway, good luck to anyone else looking to do this journal and let us know if you find anything special to include!

Re: Lost DHARMA initiative playing cards

Only found low-rez versions of the DHARMA initiative playing cards so I made my own a while back which I find better than the originals:
il_570xN.403758370_cz83.jpg

Then eventually got around to making the replica ones. Did so by looking at the original prop images. Found out they were fundex monte carlo playing cards. Out of print but found a pack on eBay and then scan, added logo and here you all are:
dharma_replica_red.jpg
dharma_weathered_1.jpg
dharma_blue.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back