Origins of the ROTJ Vader helmets: JY thread continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am guessing that the ROTS mask was prototyped by a third party, sent to ILM to be assembled by your team?

No, not at all.

It was created using that 3D scanning machine by Ivo Coveny and his team in Sydney, Australia. They recreated the mask, painted it, assembled it and filmed it at Fox Studios in Sydney using Hayden Christensen. Much later, the molds were sent to ILM and we made the three part (helmet plus split face mask) Vader for the shots involving the mask being assembled onto Hayden's face (who wasn't present, as they had shot his scenes while still in Sydney without the mask coming down onto him). Additionally, we re-shot at ILM some of the sequence with the table rotating into position, as Hayden was originally filmed with his hands up near his head, and George (I assume) decided that he should have his hands at his sides.

--Don

Leonard's second generation Vader is the one used to base all subsequent versions on as it was almost machine perfect in its symmetry and balance.
So, remember, when discussing original Star Wars pieces that Don Post was the American source for all the original parts and pieces as they (we) kept the parts of several characters in good shape, preserved and owned the rights to them en-total for the first 7 years.

This part here kinda bugs me. There isn't a OT Vader that I have seen that is "almost machine perfect in its symmetry".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that! :thumbsup

At the time I was in the Navy, Roland sent me the mail boasting on it.
Company was dead wrong, bad reporting. Marketing... Meh...

Last edited:
yeah - that would better describe the ROTS - but he does use the word
'almost'. so.. :confused

It is rather insulting to Brian's work too. The differences between the ANH faces and the ESB/RotJ are very minimal to leave that guy with any credence to his tale. I could be wrong though. I pose that to the real experts here to dispute.

Most of this is true, but some things in here are just not right.

I travelled all over the country with Kermit and other original cast members! We also supplied over 300 Stormtrooper helmets

300? He must be talking about DP stormtrooper vinyl helmets because there are no screen cast derived helmets out there remotely approaching that number (not including the fan made ones in the last 10 years).

When renowned sculptor Jim Leonard started working in my department he was blown away by how crude the original Vader was. He asked and obtained permission to rework the original. A set was cast in England from the original molds to aid with this, but it took so long to get to the states that Leonard had already made an armature and was nearly done with the new helmet. (it is that 4th original cast set that is being auctioned this Fall by Elstree).

I hope he is not referring to the Elstree props that had having nothing to do with the original films and notorious for passing off fakes (either knowingly or unknowingly).

Leonard's second generation Vader is the one used to base all subsequent versions on as it was almost machine perfect in its symmetry and balance.

This is simply not true.
All the ESB Vader helmets start out as exact replicas of the screen used ANH. There was no re-working or cleaning up to the original ANH before it was molded (as I'm sure all the other Vader nuts will attest to) and all the screen used ESB helmets came from the mold taken directly off the screen used ANH. You can match surface dimples/imperfections on the ANH right on the screen used ESB helmets.
The physical differences between the screen used ANH helmet and the ESB versions that were spawned from it are EXTREMELY minimal. Really I should just say they are identical.
Any physical alterations are done to each individual casting during the finishing of the helmets, NOT to a master helmet that was remolded again for ESB.

Last edited:
" I travelled all over the country with Kermit and other original cast members!

I have heard from a reliable source that this is a bit of an overstatement as well...

Additionaly, In some correspondance I had from John Naulin a while back, he mentions the adjustments made to the ANH for ESB. I was curious if any of this info clicks or jives with Mr Bies?...

Whenever you saw and heard Vader it was Kermit as he was the only one to encompass all 3 characteristics seen on film. The original costume was shipped from England and for many of the first appearances Kermit appeared in it.
There was fear that the original would get lost, stolen or damaged, so in combination between Post and Lucas replacement parts were created and the original suit was handed over to Lucas.About that time I took over the R&D Dept. at Post and by then Kermit was working directly for Lucas. We maintained the Vader suit, but it was kept in boxes by Eller, so he could travel with it. I travelled all over the country with Kermit and other original cast members!

This is patently false and Kermit has confirmed this. Kermit kept the suit himself and didn't travel with John. And there are no replacement parts that I can see in any promotional images of Kermit in the suit. John was not involved in any official capacity.

We also supplied over 300 Stormtrooper helmets and did some post production work on 2 Boba-Fet costumes at Post for ESB and ROTJ, so I ended up working closely with the vendors in London (which are now combined basically as Elstree Props).

When renowned sculptor Jim Leonard started working in my department he was blown away by how crude the original Vader was. He asked and obtained permission to rework the original. A set was cast in England from the original molds to aid with this, but it took so long to get to the states that Leonard had already made an armature and was nearly done with the new helmet. (it is that 4th original cast set that is being auctioned this Fall by Elstree).
So, remember, when discussing original Star Wars pieces that Don Post was the American source for all the original parts and pieces as they (we) kept the parts of several characters in good shape, preserved and owned the rights to them en-total for the first 7 years.

Again completely and patently false. All this is is John trying to cover his back because he sold this DP style Vader helmet/armor to Paul Harrison with a ridiculous story about a 4th pull. And Paul just repeated that story to bolster the provenance of that casting.

You posted this on TPD as well and I'm repeating myself.

Who is John Naulin? I'm not disputing his story, but I've never heard the name mentioned before. Was he involved with the appearances only between ANH and ESB, or did he do any post-ESB work?

--Don

[Don Post] did some post production work on 2 Boba-Fet costumes at Post for ESB and ROTJ, so I ended up working closely with the vendors in London (which are now combined basically as Elstree Props).

Fascinating info! I sure wish we knew more about this! Also wonder if this was the point at which the Prepro 2 suit was stolen.

Who is John Naulin? I'm not disputing his story, but I've never heard the name mentioned before. Was he involved with the appearances only between ANH and ESB, or did he do any post-ESB work?

--Don

Was employed by Don Post I believe and also worked as a freelance FX / prosthetic artist. Has some ties with Rick Baker.

Most of this is true, but some things in here are just not right.

This is simply not true.
All the ESB Vader helmets start out as exact replicas of the screen used ANH. There was no re-working or cleaning up to the original ANH before it was molded (as I'm sure all the other Vader nuts will attest to) and all the screen used ESB helmets came from the mold taken directly off the screen used ANH. You can match surface dimples/imperfections on the ANH right on the screen used ESB helmets.
The physical differences between the screen used ANH helmet and the ESB versions that were spawned from it are EXTREMELY minimal. Really I should just say they are identical.
Any physical alterations are done to each individual casting during the finishing of the helmets, NOT to a master helmet that was remolded again for ESB.

I agree Gino - the ANH was used for ESB and ROTJ with minimal changes. The ESB was not moulded to create the ROTJ it was from an ANH mould and worked on.

Brian

The 4th pull creation is likely what spawned the GH style family of helmets. Haven't seen anything linked with the production that has those features he describe, but seems to match what was done to those fan helmets... and correspond with Elstree Props having those style helmets.

EDIT: But I highly doubt it was sculpted from scratch.

Last edited:
The 4th pull creation is likely what spawned the GH style family of helmets. Haven't seen anything linked with the production that has those features he describe, but seems to match what was done to those fan helmets... and correspond with Elstree Props having those style helmets.

EDIT: But I highly doubt it was sculpted from scratch.

No the GH-style helmet is simply a cleaned up version of the screen helmet, perhaps in an effort to make a toy version but then they opted for a smaller plastic version. There's no fourth pull involved here, nor is the GH or the Paul Harrison/John Naulin helmet scratch-built. But both are definitely DP Studios-derived.

ALL the helmets made for ESB came from a mold taken directly off the screen used ANH.
The faceplates and domes were individually modified for conversion into what we see in ESB. The ESB helmets were refurbished for use in ROTJ.
No brand new helmets were created for ROTJ.

The conversion from the ANH style base helmet includes the following mods.
These mods were performed individually on each helmet for ESB.

- Adding the found part flange to the top of the facemask, then hand bondo-ing the gap in the front. Real individual screws are added into the flange to better register with the corresponding ring inside the dome.

Gino, show me an original ROTJ mask that has an added on mounting ring base.

No, no, no, no, no.
The ROTJ helmets are the refurbished ESB helmets.
I believe the helmet mold in the archives (the one that produces the other set of base helmets) came about like this.
A base facemask & helmet casting from the UK mold (that spawned all the screen used ESB helmets and was made from the original ANH helmet) was sent to the US and modified (tabs removed) then remolded for the purpose of creating some of the early promo costumes in the US.

So how did you recently come to the deduction that ESB helmets came from a mold in the UK? Hmmm? You are just taking what I've stated before based on the SL/TD/TM story.

The screen ANH helmet was molded in the UK by Rick Baker. That mold went to ILM and is THE ANH mold in the archives. But it had limited use, for promotional helmets like the MP (the ESB Vader poster helmet) and the ones that Don made later on. Back in the UK, the screen helmet was molded a second time....either before or after the Rick Baker mold (I think before naturally since the tabs are intact, among other things...the only other option being that new tabs were added to the mask prior to the tour). That mold was used to make the ESB masks/helmets. Based on Brian Muir's new ROTJ helmet, it could also have been used to make the ROTJ helmets, but otherwise I think an ESB helmet was used as a template to make the six ROTJ helmets (at least six). It would not make any sense given the fight scenes in ROTJ to reuse three-year old castings that saw heavy production use.

Another reason that the ROTJ helmets could not be modified ESB originals is that every ROTJ casting with authentic lineage (the Elstree, the GH, for example) have proportionally smaller mouth triangles than an ANH/ESB mask, and they themselves are smaller as well than any ANH/ESB derived authentic mask. Now you could say this is BS, and you cannot extrapolate the size of these masks to the original ROTJ. But, you can. The ROTS mask was based on a ROTJ template clearly seen in the behind the scenes DVD. Yes, it was Trisha Bigger who thought the OT mask was asymmetrical (sagging as she put it) but what the guys did in Sydney was take the half of the OT mask that had the more fallen cheek (!!!). :confused So in essence they replicated the bad side, not the good side of the mask, yielding a sad looking ROTS Vader face. Now back to the relationship of the ROTS and ROTJ masks. The original ROTS mask is nearly the same size as authentic ROTJ masks and significantly smaller than any ANH/ESB mask. Furthermore, the mouth triangle of the ROTS mask is the same size proportionally as a ROTJ mask, but not an ANH/ESB mask. If the production crew of ROTJ used an original ESB as a template, and then that was molded as a template for use in ROTS, then the ROTS mask should have the proportions and features of an ANH/ESB mask and it doesn't, because the ROTJ and ANH/ESB masks are markedly different and not just in the way the ROTJ masks were refined. So apart from there being no logic to reusing Vader helmets from ESB when they had millions of dollars to make new helmets that would stand the rigors of the ROTJ production, the ROTJ masks have lent their own proportional signature that persists in ROTS. That is why the ROTS mask looks small in relation to the helmet. Because it is in relation to ANH/ESB. It takes more than theories to come up with lineage, it takes direct study of authentic castings in relation to the originals.

Now mind you. Anyone from the production crew who happened to score one of the base helmets from either the UK mold, or the US promo mold would be able to recast it and introduce new authentic castings into the public domain and no one would be able to tell the difference. If you think you can, you are fooling yourself. All that can be determined is whether it's lineage came from the first gen ANH mold in the UK, or the second gen mold in the US (the one for promo purposes). Thomas your SL helmet comes from that mold.

I can tell the difference but you cannot because you haven't examined any castings either from the UK or the US molds. If you did you would know how masks from those molds differ from ROTJ. And I don't need you to tell me where my helmet came from. People questioned me before on its source and Don Bies confirms the mold Rick Baker produced and that resides in the archives. The SL came from that mold in 1988. The Darth Jones helmet came from that same mold in 1992.

So now that you accept the idea I put forward of a UK and US mold, which mold do your ANH/ESB/ROTJ helmets come from? And can you tell me what the difference is between those castings in any great detail?

Not all the masks had remnants of the mounting tabs remaining. You have to grind away a portion of the tabs to fit the flange on correctly. Sometimes the production team left the remnants on, sometimes they were completely removed before adding the ring. Of the examples I've seen, it's about half one way and half the other.

Well which casting are you referring to? The Paul Allen? Describe to me what happened to the tabs on the Paul Allen. And what castings have you seen? Secret original castings that your friends own?

Yes a new mold was made for ESB (see above). But the mount was not molded in for the ESB helmets. It was an off the shelf found part (flange) that was individually applied to each base casting.

Right, so what about ROTJ....according to your theory each ROTJ mask should have that base for the mounting ring added on and not part of the casting, right?

The reason is because all base facemasks and domes start out identical to the ANH. They are then converted into ESB style. I'm betting that helmet is just comprised of authentic pulls. It just isn't finished off (paint, mounting system, grills, tusks) like the original ANH.

I wonder how you know this? From the VP/TM/TD (and other) masks that have turned up. And possible also now the Brian Muir ROTJ.

Ivo Coveny, the head of costume props in Sydney, made the decision, I assume along with Trisha Biggar, to remake the mask. All this trash talk about the costume being smaller is wrong, as they had made a muscle suit for Hayden and put lifts on him and everything...if it was smaller, it's not by much, and I don't think the helmet and mask are any smaller, IMHO. And I stand by another statement I made in a different thread that it made no difference that Prowse wasn't in it, as they could have gotten anybody large enough to fit in the costume to play it...and little known fact, there are two other ILM employees playing Vader in the creation scene.

It is my firm belief that it was changed just so that they could call it their own...any talk of "customizing it for Hayden" was just covering that fact.

And BTW, I like that mask too.

Sorry.

--Don

The ROTS helmet is ok in size but it was extensively reworked. The mask is as I mentioned smaller than OT ANH/ESB but very close to ROTJ in size.

The armor on Hayden overhangs so much that it is obvious it came from Prowse-sized armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back