Daft Punk Guy Helmet: Final p.16, TRON p.20

Re: Daft Punk Helmet Build

:eek as a HUGE Daft Punk fan...this is the coolest thing I've EVER seen. You have done a FANTASTIC job so far. I can't wait to see this once 100% complete. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

I've had terrible luck vacuforming or otherwise bending clear acryllic. To see how yours turned out is rather reassuring. Congrats on how this is coming along.

I've seen the new pictures on your flickr, and pics of you as Guy-Man at Dragon Con. Common, I am dying for an update :lol

Great seeing you at D*C man, hope you can work out the chroming issues soon. Even with a "seconds" helmet it looked awesome. :love

I'll post updates soon. Caught a lil' bit of the old H1N1 so I've been feeling pretty run down of late.

Looking forward to more pix.
Feel better soon!

Pff, you've seen them all on Flickr! I know you follow my uploads.

Sort version: Here's where I'm at. I'm not happy with it. Longer version to follow.

3898579212_ec7e84971e_b.jpg

That is so sweet. I didn't realize how much work went into that helmet until I started makign a pep armor build, now I see just how hard it is to get something truly smooth.

Hey Volpin, hope you're feeling better. Good luck with the soldering!

I came across this picture today while doing my daily search of new Daft Punk info in accordance to them being in the upcoming game 'DJ Hero'. I came across this picture and I thought you'd like to see it. Its probably the largest most detailed picture I have seen of their HAA helmets, ever. I think it will come in handy when you start to take on Thomas' helmet.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3527/3919935000_4b20cbf105_o.jpg

Volpin, that AER9 from Fallout3 that's on your Flickr page turned out great! The paint job is just awesome. Ever consider making some more of those Microfusion Cells and selling them? :love

so why don´t you send that craphelmet to me then...
i´ll even cover the shipping costs! :lol

Oh yeah, sure thing. I'll get that in the mail tonight!

Hey Volpin, hope you're feeling better. Good luck with the soldering!

I came across this picture today...

Dude, you always come up with the best images. Thanks for the tip!

Volpin, that AER9 from Fallout3 that's on your Flickr page turned out great! The paint job is just awesome. Ever consider making some more of those Microfusion Cells and selling them? :love

Man, you guys follow my stuff closely! That AER9 was done in a HUGE rush, and the MF cell in it was from another mold I had laying around that was -roughly- the correct size. Its actually nothing like the ones in-game, but it serves its purpose ok enough. I hope to return to that project someday and do it 100%. 4 days isn't enough to get it as accurate as I want.

Ok, UPDATE TIME.

Where was I...?

Right.

I used a piece of the visor plastic that was trimmed from the helmet to make the wire "hair" piece for the back of the helmet. This is really just a test piece to make sure my idea worked. I used wire I had already around the house from my car projects, need to do some more research to figure out the correct colors

3879371351_2df042ab05_b.jpg

3906244481_ec7687362f_o.jpg

The plating... well, the plating didn't go so well. Apparently the cosmichrome reacted with the primer I used and caused "clouding" in the final finish. After this, the company I sent them to decided to strip the helmets entirely back down to the resin themselves, and some detail was lost. In the end, they tried baking one helmet to rid the primer of any chemicals, but that only succeeded in melting it. The second one, pictured here, is also warped but not nearly as badly.

Because of that warping, the only visor that would fit was my thicker piece with the webbing. From about 10' away it looks okay, but there's a lot of orangepeel, scratching, and haze in the finish. I need to pull a couple more and try again. bah.

3897798635_36fc1cc830_b.jpg

3898579368_7591541f50_b.jpg

On the up side of things, I got all my PCBs in and I'm about 90% done with soldering.

3916795075_4fd01bdcb6_b.jpg

3916795257_2845c0eb80_b.jpg

I need to get a few more resistors in before I can wrap up the "chin" boards, but outside of that they're done! Now I need to start making the wiring harness for the helmet.

Outside the visor:

3917584114_5cc75a3e3b_b.jpg

Inside the visor:

3917586234_699c625360_b.jpg

The tint discolors the lights to a slight bluish tint. I think I'll have to go lighter on the tint in the final version to let more light out. Still, this is promising. The visor here was my first test piece and has the spray tint on VERY thick (probably about 6 coats)

Amazing, what you are doing is up there on my list of coolest props. Hopefully the plating in the future will go much more smoothly.

The final product will be nothing less than breathtaking I'm sure.
How much detail are you going to be representing with the electronics?

I used wire I had already around the house from my car projects, need to do some more research to figure out the correct colors

I think I posted a link to a pic in a flickr comment I left you, but here are s'more. These should help! :angel

nickwi10.jpg

daftpunk_23-1.jpg

6a00e398210d13883300e553feac0b8834-.png

4183432.jpg

As you can see the colors are red, white, and green. In some pictures the colors are really vibrant (the first two), and in others they are dull. This is probably the result of studio lighting vs. natural lighting.

Once again im amazed at how this is turning out.

@Arafinwe - have you seen the new DJ Hero trailer with Daft Punk? I cannot wait for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0r38l7oNCQ

As soon as I saw that video I pre-ordered that game so quickly I think I broke the internet :lol I can't wait either!:love

wish there was a way to do one to a motorcycle helmet that still could be used to ride with..
Nice work

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back