Y oh Y oh Y & its over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Y oh Y oh Y

Hey Guy, hey Daniel,
yes, in the Neissen Kit they are 31-33 mm,
but i guess it's too small (compared to the org. studio Y's)

I think the rings are around 40 mm (2 mm) on the org. Models.
I use 40 mm pipe for the rings in my new tail units.

1002191j.jpg

Guy, again your paintjob is excellent :thumbsup

Hey Guy, hey Daniel,
yes, in the Neissen Kit they are 31-33 mm,
but i guess it's too small (compared to the org. studio Y's)

I think the rings are around 40 mm (2 mm) on the org. Models.
I use 40 mm pipe for the rings in my new tail units.

1002191j.jpg

Guy, again your paintjob is excellent :thumbsup

Yes good idea with the pipe, as I was saying this will
hold shape after being cut, yours came out great!

At last I'm home for 2 weeks, work on the Y continues on Sunday, not that much more to do now, all the top piping is on & he underside will be done next. I'm really starting to love the Y as a ship. When MR brought out their version I b=never really bothered with it, I wish I had now though.

Cool to hear Guy, im off for a couple too now, just started plating the ass end of the RT......gulp lol, looking forward to some work from ya over the hols though buddy, have to catch up on the dog and bone!

lee

I guess I couldn't wait till Sunday, all the piping is on and part weathered aside from a few small ones near the cockpit, they will be fitted last when the CP is fixed in place.

A few have shape shifted since I glued them last week but not enough for me to bother about. Its the first time I've done out like this & I'm pleased with the way they turned out. To get the color was a bit of a challenge. I started mixing Tamiya color's with a copper base & ran out of every color I thought I would need so had to move on to another Idea, I got a windsor & Newton paint a while back & I have no idea what medium it is, I thought it was oil when I bought it but its either water or Acrylic I'm guessing water based. I have been using it on & off for rust on most of my more recent builds. So I tried this over copper brushed on, then sprayed on then dabbed on then gave up. the problem was the coper paint, I didn't know why I was using it as the model has no visible signs of copper, so I tried spraying the water based direct on to primer, & it was the exact look I was looking for, it still needs toning down but all this will be done with the last paint over next week. How does it look, the piping is just styrene rod.
IMG_00041-1.jpg

IMG_0006-3.jpg

IMG_0003-5.jpg

IMG_0001-7.jpg

IMG_0002-6.jpg

IMG_0005-5.jpg

Last edited:

I'm in awe again Guy, just incredible painting skills you have mate!.
I agree with the piping, spot on to my eye, well done, Iv'e seen some pretty questionable colors for the pipes over the years but these look just right. As for the rest of the Y, WOW is about all i can say dude, you rock!.

Stu

Super nice Guy, you have just the right amount of shading and weathering
on this bird. You have a great Y-wing for yourself the piping looks perfect!:thumbsup

Thanks so much guys, Its a heavily pigmented water color (Gauche) I'll post the color when I've made tea..... Lee sorry I had to cut short today mate I was a bit late to a suit fitting. Will speak again in the next few days.

Thanks mate, you should try & head over here one night if you get the chance? That would be ace.

Pipe color is basically Grey primer & raw sienna + weathering to taste.

I can't believe it, I started painting the R2 unit tonight, as always I really struggle with the small hand painted detail, I just start shaking....duh! Anyway, my girlfriend suggested that she should try.........yeah right :eek???? Like this will be any better!!!! Boy was I wrong after a nervous handing over of the little R2 (that I was going to strip & start again) she did this little beauty, much better than I could ever do. Sorry Lance you may be out of a job mate???? :confused

I guess I'll try and see what she is like at cockpit's next.

I also did the vent parts tonight (all by myself):lol

Not too much left to do now, paint & fit the guns & some overall touch up here & there. Then its onto the shuttles.

IMG_0014-4.jpg

IMG_0011-3.jpg

IMG_0008-3.jpg

IMG_0009-3.jpg

IMG_0012-4.jpg

IMG_0013-3.jpg

IMG_0016-2.jpg

IMG_0010-3.jpg

Another awesome paintjob from the Master !
You did a great job to put this kit to the ILM standard and as always your paintjob is top notch ILM quality ! The best Y to date IMHO !

But be careful, I can see another paintmaster on this thread... Your GF did an incredible job on the R2 unit ! Kudos to both of you ! :love

Another awesome paintjob from the Master !
You did a great job to put this kit to the ILM standard and as always your paintjob is top notch ILM quality ! The best Y to date IMHO !

But be careful, I can see another paintmaster on this thread... Your GF did an incredible job on the R2 unit ! Kudos to both of you ! :love

Thanks J, your too kind mate. Its a shame the kit was quite a bad cast, it looks worse in the pics as its blown up. One day I will have a neat build :lol

I guess if I ever do another one that I'll choose one with much more ref material or maybe just get Michelle to paint all my builds from now on. :cry

Woooooorrrrrdd :lol Looks great Guy, very ILM studio, may have to drag you over when i paint the RT for some tech help!

lee

She's all done, well for now. there are some bits I want to re do but this is basically it. Once again thanks for all the support with this build, I couldn't do it without all your great help. I guess I'll have to do a Gold ? next???

This build is the first I've done with virtually no pastel, even the old pastel & spit tech has gone out the window in favor of oil's. I did learn a lot from seeing the 4 foot Red 3 this year & took so many pics just to study the painting tech. Any way as always this build is as slash dash as the rest of my work, but I dont think its too bad for my first attempt. The hardest part was trying not to go too grey with the weathering but doing enough so that it looks ILM like.........

Lee, I would be honored just to sit & watch you paint your RT mate.

Some quick shots from the garden.
BestY.jpg

Best4.jpg

Best3.jpg

Best2-1.jpg

IMG_0012-5.jpg

IMG_0008-4.jpg

Leftpod.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back