Modifying a cheapo TV Highlander Katana

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've always loved the season 1 Duncan katana, but could never afford a screen accurate replica. I've got the Marton Dragon Head katana as well as a Taiwanese knock-off I bought for live steel sparring. So, after seeing some photos of the original prop, I thought that modifying the latter shouldn't be too difficult. This is similar to what I started with (tsuba is different):

cheap-dragon-katana_zpsb395bd15.jpg

It seems to be a recast of the Marto, though the details are not 100% the same. It's a cheap white plastic with black "antiquing" and a cheesy red plastic rhinestone covering the mekugi (tang peg). When I first bought it years ago I immediately removed the rhinestone and gave the entire handle a brown acrylic wash to make it look a little more realistic. This was the result:

highlander-1-1.jpg

So, the first step was to dremel down the neck band, reshape the the top of the head and beneath the chin and then carve in the extra lines under the chin and on the neck. After about an hour or so of dremel work and hand sanding, this is what I had (before and after):

highlander-1-4.jpg

highlander-1-3.jpg

After cleaning all the dust off, I painted the entire handle with acrylics using a mixture of antique white and buttercup. I then sprayed the entire handle with a gloss polyacrylic. After that dried, I painted the handle with a brown acrylic wash (just a little water added to the paint). I wiped off the excess lightly with a soft cloth. Once that dried, I did some spot aging with a very dark brown acrylic concentrating on all the carved lines and deep recesses.

And the end result (before and after):

highlander-1-1.jpg

highlander-1-10.jpg

highlander-1-4.jpg

highlander-1-5.jpg

highlander-1-9.jpg

highlander-1-8.jpg

highlander-1-2.jpg

highlander-1-6.jpg

highlander-1-7.jpg

Sure, it's not 100% accurate (a few details left in the head, that pesky mekugi pin and copper tsuba) but I hope this inspires everyone to take a dremel to those el cheapo highlanders!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Last edited:
Wow, that was some work you did there and you got her looking very, very, close.

Great job! :thumbsup

You are not seriously sparring with a stainless steel Taiwan sword are you?

VERY lightly, I assure you! ;) It was more for going through moves, etc. In any case, I'm more of a Renaissance swordsman, so this is really just a wall-hanger now... hence the "upgrade".

Kind regards,
Indy

That looks fantastic! I’m going to have to see about doing a little work on mine now. Thanks for sharing. :)

thats really cool and very nice work... i had the same issue, i didnt have the money to buy a point gallery, so i started from kind of scratch and built mine up similiar to yours, piece by piece then i connected them and cast them into a full handle... now i add the high end 1065 blades...a carbon wrapped tang wrap and the tsuba and fuchi...
P3100562.jpg

IMG_4511.jpg

IMG_4512.jpg

IMG_4508.jpg

Nice work Indy.
Way to turn that sword around!!!

I was just comparing it to Sal D'Aquila's Musashi Katana at the piont gallery website,and I must say,you pretty much nailed it!!!!

i did it that way to give it my own touch, i love the point gallery and the original season 1 prop but if im gonna do it then i want to say, look i changed it to make it my own... but you really nailed it spot on...

Nice work Indy.
Way to turn that sword around!!!

I was just comparing it to Sal D'Aquila's Musashi Katana at the piont gallery website,and I must say,you pretty much nailed it!!!!

Ah, I see. I think one thing that would improve your version though is to thin out that neck. It looks like you built up the neck to mask the inaccurate band, but I find that sanding it down worked better. Also it helps to give the illusion of the larger head. The lines carved on the neck should be a bit thinner as well.

Thanks to all for the compliments. This was a fun quick project as I don't really don't get much time anymore for my own little pet projects.

Kind regards,
Indy

United Cutlery has new licensed replicas with 1045 carbon spring steel. but the Romerez handle is a cross between H1 and H2 movie handles so it is inaccurate.

The new UC ones are really ugly too lol. I expected better from Kit Rae but it just didn't work out. Fortunately we do have access to a good H3 hilt lol.

Updated the original post with new photos. I love looking at this sword. The modified dragon head really sells the piece.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back