Selene Costume *WIP* 95% finished for D*Con

Darth Mule

Sr Member
So I'm making a Selene costume for the gf. Got everything together, corset patterned and cut, I even was able to do a pretty nice job on the outline of the embroidered symbol on the front of the corset. However, I am now at a loss. I'm not sure what's going on with the inner, textured sections of the embroidery.

Anyone rather proficient at embroidery or have any experience with this corset? If anyone knows what technique to use to get this look, I would greatly appreciate it.

c203b8d4-ff6b-4b32-ac6a-07e253ca0ffe_kate-beckinsale-underworld_selene.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Call to embroidery experts! Selene (Underworld) corset advice.

Not positive but if the movie corset was leather wouldn't those internal areas be suade?

It looks more like tooled leather to me. Notice how deep the boning channels are? Those are stitched. The design is not nearly as deep, suggesting that it isn't embroidery.

You're probably right. Now is it possible to tool already tanned garment leather?

You're probably right. Now is it possible to tool already tanned garment leather?

Yes, to an extent, depending on the dye used. Just give it a try soaked in a lot of water. You may contact member Mad Robot, he did awesome leather work on Hellboy coasters and a custom leather satchel.

Michael

i remember seeing some closeups of this piece. It's embossed/tooled leather with a roughed finish on the detail. possibly heat embossed.

it is embroidery not tooled leather.
Kevjh

Yeah, definitely embroidered. The boning channels are not a good guide as they are through all layers of the corset and have the addition of the boning to give that extra definition.
The method used is called stippling I think, and because the stitches are so small and close together the depth of the design is reduced.
I think this was done by embroidery machine and had that area programmed in with whatever filler they were able to use (I don't own an emboirdery machine so am not sure what fillers are available). If I were to free hand this on a regular machine (which I might wind up doing) I'll probably use a stretch stitch and ty to get some random effect in there (the stretch stitch has a back stitch for every three forward which will help create the stipple effect).
http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/wholecloth-quilting-mctavish-style/index.html
Micro stippling is mentioned here.

I don't know how I missed your post mdb, but I just popped in to update that I had indeed solved my own quandry when I noticed that if I had looked back at this 2 months ago, you would have solved it for me. Doh!

Kevj, who posted earlier confirming the embroidery, actually owns a screen used and sent me some reference shots to help suss it out. These aided me in patterning the embroidery lines, but I was at a loss as to how to fill it in. Anyway... Some googling on different embroidery techniques turned up information on stippling, so I thought I'd give it a shot. After all, what did I have to lose other than 6 hours or so of slow, careful sewing of an embroidery pattern on a mechanical machine. A mere $50.00 later and I had a nice quilting foot to assist me in doing so on my Bernina. There were some spots where I had to work extra hard to get the thread to actually punch in, but after only a couple of hours I had it all filled in. Voila! This image isn't the best, but until I get some more done, it will serve my purposes for showing off. This was from the test fitting last week. I hadn't bound the top yet or finished grommetting the back, so it isn't quite as snug as it should be here, but it should fit like a glove now that its done.

3640695256_7b46980ced.jpg

Like to see pictures of what you have already.

Re: Mystery solved! Call to embroidery experts! Selene (Underworld) corset advice.

Wow! :eek That is awesome! It's going to look great on her too. :thumbsup

You know you have to make one for Aimee now! :lol

Awesome pics, if you need any more reference shots I can ask one of my buddies who also owns a screen used one

Re: Mystery solved! Call to embroidery experts! Selene (Underworld) corset advice.

More pics. Took some better shots of the closeup work on the corset. Also a full shot of the test fitting. Again, the test fitting was before the corset was finished. It was laced loose because I underordered my grommets, and they were missing from the waist down. I also wanted to make sure it was long enough before I bound the top.

The bodysuit seemed to fit pretty much perfectly except for in the upper arms where they were extremely baggy for some reason. I used this Kwik Sew pattern pretty much straight up with a small collar adjustment. Got some 4 way stretch PVC from MJtrends. This stuff is like liquid. Slides on like a second skin. The boots will need a little work, but I like the overall shape. Got em for $6.00 at Goodwill... Brand New!

3641971490_352ec92bbf.jpg

3641158713_6514cae973.jpg

3641158697_f38be093da.jpg

Very nice!
Are you doing a Death Dealer for yourself?

Cheers,
Stefan

Nope. Going for a looser, vampire based theme. Therefore, Selene will be accompanying the king of all vampires. Prince Vlad!

That's great :) Heh, it happens but I'm glad you were able to find the info as well :)

MJ Trends has great PVC. I have used it for my Mara and Witchblade bodysuits :) Oh and Catwoman. After seeing how latex breaks down so badly I like the stability of this stuff ;)

The corset looks amazing :)

I'm an update hog tonite (Updated 2 other threads as well). Here's the semi-finished Selene costume. More pics to come...

Need to revisit the magnets that hold on the holster. It started on her thigh, then kind of moved upward throughout the evening. Boots need buckles on them too. I went with these because they had the right shape. The Demonias people usually use have the buckle but are to bulky. I figured I could just add to these at a later date.

9521_129919648906_534618906_2704689_6686558_n.jpg

That's me in the background as Dracula and Itsthatguy's shoulder as Itsthatguys shoulder.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back