Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

My bags have be used on well over 100 miles of riding. They also sat out in the hot sun last summer about 90+ degress all day.
I have about 10-15 pounds of stuff in them as well.

I still think I may want to run fiberglass, because over time there will be warping and maybe a bit of cracking.

Last edited:
Yeah, they'd probably be fine to run as is, but I'd feel better with the extra strength of fiberglass. Plus, I get to play with all those noxious fumes!

Awesome to see tons of updates today. Glad everyone is making such great progress.

Billy, thanks again. Looking forward to having the bags in my possession so I can hopefully have everything pretty much complete on my X1 in about a month. The X2 is coming along, but I'm torn between which bike I want to work on more at any moment. The primer looks nice. I had thought of doing a turquoise inspired take on the bike at some point, maybe with a Higgins frame instead. This gives me an idea of what it would look like. I see you liked my idea about the acrylic fillets under the tank. I'm still working on getting my acrylic edges polished down, as the material is a bit on the fragmented/cut"y" side of things when you rub your fingers across the edges. I may experiment with flame polishing the edges. Looks fun.

Ryan, you're a machine. Chugging along quickly with the casting process. And yes, I agree with the "yay noxious fumes" comment. Just remember to wear your mask or you'll end up a bit screwy like me. Too many years of breathing spray paint fumes while painting. LOL

I'm not at home to send a measurement. Maybe Abe can PM you. I spent the morning in the hospital, I would much rather have been home working on the left saddlebag. I hate losing one of my only 2 days to work on it.

They sell that plastic chain at orchard supply or home depot etc. It comes by the foot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

There is a seller on ebay that occasionally puts white "Mr. Chain" in the correct size for about 20.00-30 bucks for 100ft. It took me a while to find a good price, the movie chain was white plastic painted silver not chrome chain at all. If you get chromed chain it will eventually peel off and make a big mess in your saddlebags. Also I mentions before, you probably only need 60ft max.

I got a little work done on the bags today. I'm learning a lot about working with Ultracal 30, I made a few mistakes along the way and learned some lessons. I made the splash coat too thin on these castings, lesson 1 was don't follow the instructions for mixing. What I had done was a splash coat in the vacuuforms and then I backed that up with more Ultracal with burlap for strength. But the outer shell turned out to be too weak and began breaking. Lesson 2 was it's really easy to reshape and fix by adding more. I haven't finished smoothing and shaping this side, not by a long shot. It's still looking rough right now, but it will be smooth soon. Anyway, here a picture of the holes and the repairs
bag11.JPG

bag12.JPG

I'm doing the upper console the same way as the left saddlebag. The foam sculpt had melted to the vacuuform, which made it completely ruined. So again this is an Ultracal 30 casting from the vacuuform. After casting the whole corner broke off, but I fixed it in a just a few seconds by applying more Ultracal and shaping it by hand. Everything you see in these pictures that is dark is where it was broken. I also noticed some asymmetry in this sculpt, so I'm going to have to fix that as well, which will take a little longer.
bag9.JPG

bag10.JPG

So I didn't get too much accomplished, I'm having a lot of back pain lately which makes working on this difficult, but I'm glad I got this much done.

Looks like quite the learning curve, but I'm sure it will be satisfying once you get everything finished up.

Hope you get to feeling better soon. Hospitals & back pain are no fun.

Where can you find a good quality PW suit out there?

I'd recommend going the route of a real suit then get it tailored to be ill-fitting as opposed to picking up a costume. Those are going to be terrible quality for sure. You want to look for "glen plaid". There are always suits that pop up on Ebay, Etsy, etc. I got mine after looking for a couple months & happened to stumble across a pretty decent one that actually fit for a good price (I have super wide shoulders so it is almost impossible to buy suits usually without shelling out an arm & a leg for one). It's not necessarily screen accurate, but it matches the pattern of suit he wore in an early promo shot (a hint of red in the plaid pattern).

Jc penny had a suit with a dead on correct pattern with the blue element running through it. It's been discontinued sadly but I see them on the bargain rack. Not my size of course.

It took me a while but i found a suit, i wore to 80's bicycle prom last year, my wife and I won king and queen of the prom, i specifically finished the Dottie bike for the ride/dance. I'll have to look for some pics to post. My wife found an 80's puffy red dress like Dottie's too.

Got a lot of good stuff at the swap meet today! DX Frame for $50, Super Rocket Ray and some other small parts! About time for some mock up ......078.JPG079.JPG081.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back