Casting your own head?

jason1976

Sr Member
Hey folks, I would like to mold, and cast my own head to work on making some masks, and applications. What is the cheapest, easiest way to do this? (and you can add safest to the list to if you care about that sort of thing. :lol)

Cheap, easy, and safe cannot all be accomplished. You can have one, possibly two of those, but not all three.

My first suggestion is to find ANYONE to help you with it. It's probably actually QUITE dangerous to try to do it yourself.

Burman foam sells lifecast kits that are super nice, but my guess would be that will ruin the "cheap" goal.

To tell the truth, it's one of those exercises that tends to fail in epic ways if you try to do it on the cheap. You need some good algenate or fast cure rtv to capture any kind of detail, though off the shelf plaster bandages will do fine for a matrix.

This was cheap and easy!

bust1.jpg

"Safe" depends on your definition. It doesn't result in much detail, though.

Scott
http://www.skaught.com/starwars/images/bust1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For the man project I'm working on, I don't need anything that detailed.

I'm doing a custom clockwork man mask from Doctor who. I looked at modifying off the shelf human face masks, but I have a big head (skip the comments. :lol) and as such, to get one that fights, I think Im' going to have to make it all myself. I just need a bask human face may size. It donesn't even have to be me as I am going t be modifying the facial features quite a bit, I just want the inside to fight my big head, not conform to my face. (I should have been more specific, in my first post.)

I was thinking of a simple plaster cast. But I'm not real sure of all the details on how to do one. The duct tape th8ing might work, how do I do that? I just need a face to sculpt on, modify, and in the end maybe cast the final product. (depending on how I make the mask part.)

The duct tape dummy is super simple. Wrap your head in a palstic bag, saranwrap, whatever, leaving a hole for your nose so you can, you know, breathe...then have a VERY trusted assistant begin wrapping you, about three layers deep. Have them carefully cut it up the back until you can slip it off, retape the split, stuff it with rags, bags, whatever, and mount in on a stick so you can mold. I mounted mine on a sideways barbell.

Maybe a ten minute task? Easy.

proper lifecasting can be dangerous so i cant stress enough that you do as much research as possible before you attemp it.

check out smooth-on's videos on youtube, also search for bity mold supply videos too or brick in the yard

i have had it done to me 4 times. very messy.
the first was algaesafe/seaweed. didnt really work. the stuff dries out so you have to move quick. have everything layed out, cut.
second time we tried a quick 90 sec pot life silicone from smooth-on and that was a disaster. it cured as my friend was applying it. once again, all layed out. preparred in cups eady to go.
third time was a slower like 5 min pot life but my friend wouldnt listen to some technique that i had thought about. another fiascal.
i did my brothers head next.
this was my first time applying it. fourth time around it. i used the same life casting silicone from silpack as from my third time. love it. he has a shaved clean head so it was simple. but still used vasoline on the facial hair. plucked a few eyebrows and lashes. be generous with vasoline. i started at the back of the head, top, ears, front neck, mouth, cheeks, lastly nose. think about the pattern. the nose was last for obvious reasons and i personally have not used or had my brother use straws or such. just go slow and you dont have to worry about breathing in silicone. if you are clostorphobic of any type you probably wont make it through a session. use lots of vasoline. make it nice and thick. use bandage scissors to cut it on the back. plaster bandages for a mold. two part mold, use vasoline for the mold realease. once again very thick. use warm water, i work in surgery, apply splints, trust me it works better than cold water.
fourth time me, i had my mom do it. layed it all out, a and b in plastic cups allready to go. bought a swimming cap, applyed cheap movie glue, vasoline. same pattern, came out fine. not perfect but very good and useable.

everyone sayd to have fun take pictures, i dont agree with that. i couldnt drink, sweated like a pig, it is not fun, had to be very relaxed, took around 3 hours. i never drank once when i did my brother, if he couldnt drink, i wasnt. i concentrated on doing it safely. so you can do it with one person, but if you have never seen it done then have a second person to help.

in a rush, have to go to work. hope this helps a little.

I did one once with plaster of paris strips. Put a little vaseline (thin coat) on the face, (You'll need help applying it, can;t do it yourself and get good results). Make the cast and once it is set, put a little more vaseline as a release agent on the inside. Then pour plaster of Paris to make the cast. Sure it will be wrinkly, etc. But it will be a rough cheap (About $20.00) copy of you. If you don't need to keep a pretty copy of yourself for posterity sake and just want it for a project, then this is a good way to go.

I did one once with plaster of paris strips. Put a little vaseline (thin coat) on the face, (You'll need help applying it, can;t do it yourself and get good results). Make the cast and once it is set, put a little more vaseline as a release agent on the inside. Then pour plaster of Paris to make the cast. Sure it will be wrinkly, etc. But it will be a rough cheap (About $20.00) copy of you. If you don't need to keep a pretty copy of yourself for posterity sake and just want it for a project, then this is a good way to go.

This is a little more what I had in mind. I actually have of plaster of paris right here, and my girlfriend is coming over this weekend. ;) for the plaster strips, can I make them using the paster, and something for the strips? (news paper, etc.) or do I need to buy palst strips? (if so, where do I get them? :) )

The plastic wrap protects you from the tape, so no pain. My wife wrapped my head and then cut it up the back. No hair loss, either. I filled the interior with plaster and stuck a PVC in it before it dried. Now I have a solid, hard surface to sculpt on. My main concern was making sure the helmet fit my head, so this does the trick.

Scott

Ouch! Um maybe I should have said painless rather then safe. :lol

As you can see this guy is not going to suffer from any pain when he takes of the mask. He took the genus step of first wrapping his face with some type of plastic wrap first. Very smart.:lol

This is a little more what I had in mind. I actually have of plaster of paris right here, and my girlfriend is coming over this weekend. ;) for the plaster strips, can I make them using the paster, and something for the strips? (news paper, etc.) or do I need to buy palst strips? (if so, where do I get them? :) )

That I don't know. The strips in the package are essentially gauze pre-soaked in plaster, so in theory I would say that using something pourous like paper towel, should have a similar effect. Maybe just a few extra layers.

I just want the inside to fight my big head
You meant fit, right? ;)

I heard that directly applying plaster of Paris to the skin is not advisable as it has an exothermic reaction when it cures (hardens); that means it can get very hot! Apparently it can result in quite severe burns.

I'd suggest you research this thoroughly.

Harry

OK. My two cents. I have in the past used a generic "man" facial mask from a costume shop. It is a vacuformed face in clear fleshy tinted plastic that goes over your own face. It usually has painted on eyebrows, lips, mustache.

see this http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/fancy-dress-costumes/transparent-plastic-face-mask.asp

I sealed the eyes and mouth slits with duct tape, then nestled it face down in a box of sand to retain its shape when filled. You may want to wet the sand a bit after settling it in to strengthen it. Now pour in plaster and let set. When dry, you can pop it loose easily and make a few more for good measure!

RGP

Plaster gets very hot when setting up. Not a good idea to put it on your face and neck. Go with the duct tape dummy if you dont need the facial detail.

I've tried out a LOT of foam head, and generic "Man" masks, but they are all way too small. :( Trust me that was my very first idea, and the way I wanted to go. :( I'm 6' 3" and my head is quite large. :lol Think,"mask" or "the elephantman". :lol (Ok, it's not that bad, but bad enough. )

I forgot all about the plaster heating up. Ouch, thanks for saving me some pain. I think I'll see if I can find the plaster bandages. They're mint to be pout on people, so they should be fine. I don't need a lot of detail, but I don't think the duct tape deal, would give me enough, so I think the bandages might be just about right.

Oh, and to all the people that keep chiming in on my saying "ouch" about the duct tape deal. I WAS JACKING! Of course I didn't think he put duct tape on his face and hair. (though I know people who would actually do that. :( )

So, anyone know were to get the paster bandages?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back