Is the base for Chewie's Bowcaster

Boba Debt

Master Member
I found an ad for a Horton Crossbow that looks a lot like Chewie's bowcaster.

I don't know if it's a re-release or what the deal is

Has this been discussed already?

Here's an image

146160_ts.JPG

Well I know there are HIGH quality pics of the original out there for comparison. I thought I had them but I can't find them.

I thought that the bowcaster was an obscure cast aluminium crossbow marketed by singlepoint in the UK. The old horton safari magnum seems to be a closer match since it's not a compound bow but the stock is solid and fiberglass.

Horton Safari is the closest, but the original is reportedly by Gunmark.

From Bernard Horton (posted by GotWookiee):

The original bowcaster was based on "a skeleton stocked crossbow designed and made by me for the 'SinglePoint' Company in the UK."

This company developed and manufactured the first red dot sight, invented by a Swede, Neils Ruder, I believe his name was, in the early '70s.

It was expensive and well made and aimed at the military market. They approached me at that time to develop a military style crossbow to take their new sight and which could be used to demonstrate the speed and efficiency of the new technology sighting system.
The bow was made in the same way as the Monarch Supreme; die cast aluminum and nylon coated.
Probably 12 to 15 thousand of these crossbow were sold during the early and mid seventies, mostly in the UK. In the latter years they were sold to the civilian market by an off shoot of the 'SinglePoint' Company.

I imagine very few were actually sold in the US.

I hope this answers your questions on the origin of the bowcaster, I am sorry it has taken so long to get to the eventual facts.

A little more info for you. The Company that took over the selling of the crossbow was called 'Gunmark' Based in Winchester. The owner was one of the Directors of SinglePoint, his name was Bjorn Waktare. I believe the crossbow was simply sold as the 'Gunmark Crossbow'.
I trust this is of some use to you.
Regards Bernard Horton.

----------------

That's pretty much all the known info.
The Horton Safari seems to be a commercial plastic version of the aluminum crossbow Mr. Horton designed for Gunmark.

There are several god pics in the bowcaster thread.
Especially this page:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=872&page=17

BD - The one in the ad you found seems to be a modern derivative of the Safari.

So does anyone think this is a good base gun to use for the prop?

I have contacted Horton and I'm going to see if I can buy just the frame.

If that's possible would anyone be interested in me doing a bulk run that could lead to an Active Project?

I am not that picky that it be a perfect match, looks great to me. I would be interested in getting in on a run of the stock. Money is killing me through the holidays but a decent Bowcaster is high on my list of things to get:)

I have 2 Horton Safari Magnums (they seemed to be quite popular in New Zealand). I'd be happy to send one to someone to be moulded (as long as I get it back). I think modifying a resin cast of the stock would be easier than modifying the original.

So does anyone think this is a good base gun to use for the prop?

I have contacted Horton and I'm going to see if I can buy just the frame.

If that's possible would anyone be interested in me doing a bulk run that could lead to an Active Project?

I have 2 Horton Safari Magnums (they seemed to be quite popular in New Zealand). I'd be happy to send one to someone to be moulded (as long as I get it back). I think modifying a resin cast of the stock would be easier than modifying the original.

I'd be happy to do that if you are willing.

email me and we'll do it.

micdavis@mac.com

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back