Single point scope help

Hi,

I have a couple of single point scopes that are both in good condition but the cones are mildly cloudy.

Firstly a fellow forum friend would like to buy one from me what would be a fair price?

Secondly what are the cones made from and can they be cleaned back to perfectly clear. They feel like glass or strong plastic but it is hard to tell. If they are glass they may clean up in an acid etch. Has anybody else cleaned single point scope cones before successfully?

Here is a pic of them below.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers Chris

DSC01066.jpg

I would think a dip into some Future would clear them right up. And if it doesn't, you can take the Future right back off without any harm to your scopes.

I would think a dip into some Future would clear them right up. And if it doesn't, you can take the Future right back off without any harm to your scopes.

Hi TridCloudwalker,

Thanks for the suggestion but I am not familiar with Future is it a cleaning product or a type of laquer or coating? I am in the UK so this may be a brand name in the US and I may get an equivalent over here.

Thanks

Chris

THESE scope are suppose to look this way!

There are quite a few variations of the SP scope, domed/ coned, clear/ frosted, red/ green acrylic rod.

Markus

So the ones used in the Tantive IV scenes are clear or smoked then?

I looked at mine and although they photographed really cloudy they don't look than bad in hand. I tried photographing them with a lighter background and they looked miles better. They seem to pick up the colour surrounding them. On the pics of the rebel fleet blaster on the Tantive IV they seem to pick up the colours of the walls and in fact doesn't look completely clear.

scope.jpg

I took off the cones and gave them a good clean but it really hasn't made any big difference. I still haven't pushed the cones back on right as seen in the photo as they are a bugger to get out :)

Does anybody have a photo of a clear cone to see the difference.

Has anybody on the forum ever thought of making replica cones?

Cheers Chris

Are you sure those are the original cones? They look like the replica ones from a run here a few years back. Also, from my own experience, I've never been able to remove a cone from the body without possibly breaking them. Curious....

Are you sure those are the original cones? They look like the replica ones from a run here a few years back. Also, from my own experience, I've never been able to remove a cone from the body without possibly breaking them. Curious....

I wish they were from an RPF run and not original cones that appear to have clouded over time :lol

The cones are original as far as I know both from completely separate sources with years between buying them. The scopes were not bought from prop collecting sources they were from gun / sporting sources so there is little or no chance they are replica cones from a RPF run. I thought the cones were glass but they appear to be a strong hard plastic.

When you say curious I presume curious to my method of removing them.

Getting the cone out it is all about having the bottle to go for it :)

The first time I took one out I was very careful as I had no idea what was inside or how it was secured. After taking one out you realise it isn't as hard as you would think so second one was out in minutes :)

Basically inside the scope are ribs / hoops that are effectively teeth / grippers. You can see them in this pic. It looks like a thread but it isn't.

DSC01081.jpg

The base of the cone has a bulbous part on it that when pushed in snaps in place behind each rib. So you aren't just fighting one you are fighting any gripper it has been pushed into and past.

There is a small machined rectangle on each cone which I presume is for starting to remove the cone either with a specific tool it looks like a coin slot you would put a coin in and turn. On both my cones these are worn as if they have been removed in the past or previous owners have also tried to take them off. It is hard to photograph this slot but you should see it in this photo it looks like a chip but in hand it is definitely a machined rectangle. You can also see a wear ring on the base of the cone were it has been pushed into the ribs and pulled out and gripped in place.

DSC01086.jpg

Firstly I gripped the cone in a vice just catching the flat edge before it starts to taper (the flat part that touches onto the body of the scope). I had rubber vice guards and cloths on the cone. I pushed the protruding scope body to the side so the cone crept up one rib on one side. Take this really easy. When gripping in the vice you don't have to over do it just until you see the plastic start to flex and no more.

I then put the scope into the vice with the cone protruding (with cloths and guards again). I put a screwdriver with a cloth on the tip to prevent marking into the gap on the side sitting up so it couldn't snap back down over the rib. I then pushed the other side over the opposite direction from before and it moved the other side up a rib. From the point of getting over the first rib it wasn't hard moving the cone up by rocking it back and forth one rib at a time. It isn't going to go back down on to the grips unless pushed in again.

I have to say had I not had two scopes in hand and bought them years ago I probably would not have tried to do this.

Either way it was pointless taking off the cones for me. Cleaning the inside of the cone and outside has made no difference to them being cloudy :lol

Who made the replicas and what were they made from? I still would like a clear one for my own blaster.

Cheers Chris

Here's mine. Included in the sale was a clipping from a firearms magazine published in 1978, IIRC.

attachment.php

Mgoob,

That is a great picture it shows the rectangle cut in the cone perfectly. That rectagle is definitely for helping remove the cone but I found that method hopeless as both my scopes had wear on that area.

Thanks for the pic.

So anyway what price do these go for nowadays as I want to give my friend a fair price on this and also don't want to lose out on what I paid.

Chris

i might be interested in one, depending on price, if you still have one left to sell...

Hi RoCKo,

Unfortunately none are really for public sale - sorry :)

One is promised to a friend but I need an idea of a fair price to sell it to him and the other is going on my rebel fleet blaster.

Somebody must have a rough idea what these go for nowadays surely :)

Cheers Chris

Hi TridCloudwalker,

Thanks for the suggestion but I am not familiar with Future is it a cleaning product or a type of laquer or coating? I am in the UK so this may be a brand name in the US and I may get an equivalent over here.

Thanks

Chris

I forget what it's called in the UK. It's a clear acrylic floor polish. You should be able to find it at any large gorcery store.

The frosted finish is more likely molded into the plastic on the cone. If the frosting is on the outside you may be able to rub it down to a smoother finish with some fine wet and dry paper dipped in water ( same method used to smooth car paint) if its inside the cone this would not be possible. These could be copied though and cast with clear casting resin alternatively.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back