Fully pose-able METAL ESB AT-ST armature

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm helping make these a reality for a small core group building the ESB AT-ST to as close as accurate as possible.

It's going to be a metal fully functional and poseable metal armature, which you can then dress with model parts and animate, just like the real ESB AT-ST.

The thing is, to get the best price possible, I need to add a couple more people to the run to make it a reality. Is this the kind of thing you guys are interested in?

It'd be around $450 for everything - the body, hips, legs, feet. Parts are crimped to axles by allen screws, and I can provide some castings for the rare and expensive parts that go into the model. Here's a low-res idea of what I'm talking about. this is a crop of the parts as seen in 1993, when the model was exhibited in Japan, stripped mostly naked and sad:

scan087.jpg

It's BIG. I'll post pics of my armature when the machined prototype arrives - for now, I'm feeling you fellas out. I only need a couple of people interested, and then the run can happen, and it's a one time thing - we're just trying to get ours made!!

The resin kit offered recently was very nice, but not accurate. Not the pattern maker's fault - I want to make it clear that I highly admire what was made from VERY sparse photography/reference. I have one, and while I'd love to build it, I want accurate-as-can-be, and I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Why spend $400 on a resin kit when I can spend double and make one from scratch? LOL! Plus, the resin kits are not structurally sound, and can warp over time if not pinned (or in a humid/hot climate). Don't you want to pose this sucker from time to time? I sure do!!

Recently, I was lucky enough to get access to unpublished and uncirculated high res complete documentation of the model as it existed circa 1980, and a small group of nutjobs (myself included) set to work and IDed just about everything. Top to bottom - under the head, etc. While I cannot publish this material, I can show my model off as I build it, explain the parts used, and you can build one the same way. We all sank about $1,200 into getting these donor kits, maybe more, and we're casting some of the stoopid-rare bits, to avoid eating ramen for a month, etc. The original model was only finished on the "filming side", so you can choose to do the same, or build it idealized as it would have had to have been made, had it seen more screen time.

So that's the bottom line - I can help you make a really accurate ESB AT-ST if you agree to pony up $450 for a set of metal parts. I can offer castings of the 100% accurate bits. Not everything, but enough to save you from a divorce ;)

You can choose to use the Neisen-cast head if you want, but I will also be sharing pics of the accurate head as I (and hopefully others) build it, and you'll be able to "follow along" - I'll share all of my measurements.

Is this technically an interest thread? Sorry if it's in the wrong place. I usually don't do these active projects™, so I dunno the current ruling on le RPF.

How large is the group right now? I'm honestly really tempted by this as I have quite a few of the kit parts for the ESB..

Last edited:
I would be in. I'll need to commission somebody to do the actual build though, because I have more money than skill (or sense, for that matter).

Mike

Cool. I know a fella that could build it for you - really well. I'll let him post :-D

Last edited:
Sure post a uber cool project like this while I'm broke.... Grrrrr...

I could send you like $50 a week for a few months... grrr.....

Ramen Noodle DIet + Diabetes = sugar induced coma

Coma, ATST, coma, ATST...

Jedi Dade

Dade, i think i speak for the group here, its not for the faint of heart this here project, its quite a wallet cruncher donor wise, but like Jason said, casts will be offered, and thats a very cool thing as some of these leg donors are crazy prices...ive seen the proof LOL, OUCH!
Talk to J as the group is small, but then its a very ambitious build, and its going to rock hehe, much love for the lanky legged TESB walker.

lee

Oh I'm no stranger to the wallet crunching projects - I just happen to be in a SERIOUS crunch at trhe moment... $50 buy in for a real stop motion armature for this is a STEAL IMO - I just can't swing it "now"

Jedi Dade

Hmm sell something Dade hehe, like an organ? I looked into it and a kidney could fund the whole deal lol.
Be nice to see some of these out there though bud, its never been done, and like i said ambitious, be cool to see you onboard bro!
Most kits for the head etc arent too bad price wise buddy, and hell some of us may be able to help a brother out here and there, a builders share group maybe?
Hell ill donate the Brabham parts to be cast if need be as i have a few of those. What you reckon J?
The leg and chassis donors are the killers, and the two project leaders have already agreed to get stuff cast for that purpose.
I reckon maybe a plan can be worked for armature buyers to get the ID list info? Not sure on that and not for me to say, thats maybe down to the joint leaders, but sounds like a plan?

lee

As soon as the core group (that have done all of the legwork, pardon the partial pun) gets taken care of, we can make the list "public".

I'll start a thread on ATST head building next week... I have to finish the Monarch head first!!

May is shaping up to be head month! :lol

If you send me the list privately I'll check my stash... and donate what I can even if I'm not part of the project - add to the "good" of the community as it weere... I have some pretty expensive kits squirreled away - if it shares something with the 32" Falcon I may be able to help out since that's what I was squirreling them away for ;)

Jedi Dade

Thanks, but I already have everything I need taken care of. I am not sharing the material outside of the group for now until everyone has purchased what they need to, but I appreciate your offer.

It will all be revealed here, as I build. That I promise. I have long hated the small-minded mentality in the studio scale "kings of the hill" who think that hoarding info somehow equals stature, and am frankly tired of the people who release inferior-quality kits, profit off of silent partner pattern makers, and think they can call "dibs" on everything.

Eff 'em. It's time to show these blowhards that this can be done correctly, and with a high level of quality - in the harsh light of day, as it were.

Had to edit said some things .. i did not mean. great approach on the HERO Chicken! Good luck!

Steve

The Resin walker is $300 not $400 by the way.

I'll put it back so folks see what you responded to.

""kings of the hill" who think that hoarding info somehow equals stature,"
Funny thing is your doing it right now, by not release the info your keeping the prices stable on Ebay. You release that info rare kits are harder to find and price goes up. Thats why people keep the kit info on the DL. Ohh but thats right once you have the kits you want, then you will release the info.

It is known you dont like me, and the truth of the matter is I dont think about you at all, but still you keep popping up. Then i get the PM's and phone calls "Jason's being Jason again" all I have to ask is "what board now?"

Isel, John and I are extremely proud of the resin ESB ATST kit WE made. It was made from 2 pictures. Thats it (we didnt know someone was hording all the reference) We have had great feedback. Your statements of warping legs ect are probally due to poor selection for final position or the fact it should be supported in some way. It is resin.

Your Hero ATST venture is respectible on its own and you should not have to resort to bashing the resin version.

As far as your "profit off of silent partner pattern makers" Just so you know and the folks that read here know, I not only mold and cast, I supply kitparts, kit ID information , design and fabracation to the the kits that I produce. That even includes the Echoleader items. Ohh by the way we worked things out, i'm sure you will be happy to know that.

The resin ESB ATST was made from 2 photographs and is a kick butt kit for $300 NOT $400 as you stated. It will soon be available again. As soon as yours hit the streets it will be updated to match perfectly. Its great that you are going to share part for part id so we all can make our resin ESB ATST the very best! Thanks!

I called a seize fire with you last year but you still take shots all over the internet at me. How bout this... A little less Studio Scale Robin Hood and a lil more making of studio scale accurate kits. All will be good.

Do your thing! Leave me and whats mine out of your posts. I am dealing with my buisness, you deal with yours. Folks that do buisness will me will, those that wont, wont. Nothing YOU say will change that.

Im excited to see another group (familiar approach) tackling super acurate studio scale, I got no problem with you Jason, just freaking build and leave the drama you bring to every forum off the Internet.

Heck it will be nice to see other studio scale acurate kits offered. Good luck, and Godspeed!

Steve

Last edited:
Read into things much? I wasn't talking solely about you. But if the shoe fits...

I'm not calling dibs on anything, and I'm not going to try to poison the well against you. I'm making what I want, when I want. Calling dibs is silly.

"the truth of the matter is I dont think about you at all, but still you keep popping up"

You're still a liar to me, I see. Cut the crap. You've been on a "sink Jason" campaign for like two weeks now. I though we had a cease fire too, but you've rekindled your little war against me, and I am responding by offering the community a more accurate alternative product. First up is the ESB AT-ST, and next up is the TIE Fighter. A TIE Fighter made from original parts, not from a reworked Icons recast.

Sure, there's plenty of room for both of us. $300 complete resin kits and more expensive but accurate builder-kits. Apples and oranges.

Quit being so disingenuous. You threatened to "not talk to Isel for a week" if he hung out with me. What kind of 6th grade punk crap you pulling? Stop talking crap about me to people, blaming me for your current situation, and catch up on your orders.

And Rolando - I don't know what Steve worked out with you, but I'm going to say right here and now, he'll screw you again. Sorry bro.

I put the post back so folks can see what you responded to.

Your right bro, typed and didnt think. It was mean spirited. I'll call Seize Fire, Seize Fire, Seize Fire. All I ask is quit posting snyde comments on matterns that dont consern you and I'll do the same. Our buisness is done, over ol hat, under the bridge ect. LET IT GO. By the way some of the guys your calling about TIE parts info are calling me too. How TIE ronic.

Steve

Last edited:
You still edited the post to make yourself look better.

I don't hate or dislike you. I just don't TRUST you. You give me no reason to. In fact, you surpass that, and actively attack me.

Look, I tried to bury the hatchet with you ages ago. Remember? Your exact response was "I won't bury the hatchet, but I'll put it down".

You can't leave it alone. So cease fire? It's up to you, amigo.

One minute you're leaving a voice mail on my phone that says that I was right, you should have listened to me, boo hoo hoo. I should post an mp3.

The next minute you're telling people to not give me any help/info.

Stop threatening my friends. Stop trying to sink my projects.

You need to leave me alone if you want me to shut up. You need to start making things right with the people you owe stuff to if you want to be a success. Then, and only then, will I stop having to defend myself and others.

Thats BS, That was the post, NOTHING was changed.

You were right I admit that and I was man enough to tell you that, the "Boo hoo" crap was a bit much it just shows that you can take a genuine gesture and use it for "ammo" to belittle me on the forum. Your a real grown up.

For the love of God if your gonna make something (TIE) dont have the guys your asking for kit part ID help call the guy who helped them find the parts in them first place. Thats all I'm saying about that.

Did you ever think of asking me for the list, hell who knows I might of gave it. Who knows if asked nicley I still might. I am studio scale at heart. Reguardless of you, me our spat whatever.

Jason, make it accurate, make it the best you can, I spent 8 years hunting and finally finished Iding the TIE this month. You'll get 90% quickly but the rest is a huge MFer.

You and your group tackle it and make it the best you can, and i'm sure it will be top notch, just dont throw me under the bus in the process.

You also to need to quit bashing me to your friends as it appears we share many. I'll do the same. If YOU stop posting on threads that dont consern you, I will have no reason to speak your name. See its easy.

Ive made my bed and am sleeping in it when it comes to orders ect. Ive also shipped a huge mount of things to hundreds of satisified customers.

Ive told you before your a Super Talent and its done the studio scale hobby good that you have taken interest. This between us.... The only way for this to stop is for US to stop. That means you and me stop this mickey mouse BS and press on.

I am tired of getting calls about your Attacking posts (which started me back ) those post are mean spirited and look to solve nothing. Everyone see's it, comments on it but no one has the nads to tell you. All i'm doing is asking for you to stay out of my buisness and do your own thing. thats it.

You call me a Liar, (we have been through that) I call you two faced, back stabber. Where are we now? I believe what I want and you believe what you want. You have done some things that are less that respectible and so have I. OK.. now what?

Maybe someone needs to take the Hatchet from us. I like sharpening it just as much as you do.

Reguardless, I'm not going to be inviting you over for tea and scumpits anytime soon nor am I looking forward to receiving the Eaton family Christmas card. I have aggreed with you on many things, even putting my ego in check for several of them.

Just leave me alone and i'll leave you alone.

I'm busy with my stuff, you do your stuff, knock it out of the park. It's good for the hobby. We will press on, you guys press on... I would rather it be more civil and respectful than what we got going on right now. This aint helping no one.

I'm done. Dont have the internet time nor the heart to fight you every day on the things you say about me to my friends and on the forums. Just make your kits, make them the best you can, help the folks that need help and all will be grand.

Like I said before good luck on the projects, Seize Fire has been called, I will follow it, please do the same.

Steve

Last edited:
I normally don't post on this type of stuff, but I thought I would because I was mentioned in the posts.

I am very proud of the Nice-In ESB Walker and admit that it is not completely accurate because it is based off of the two photos that were then available. It is also somewhat idealized because I finished both sides of the model, and to be studio accurate only one side would have been finished. That being said, the model builds beautifully and looks great on display based off of some of the buildups I have seen out there. Steve, John, and I all worked together in identifying the parts. I could not have made it without all of their help and I am proud that it has been offered to the SS community. Steve has also been very vocal in giving me credit for my labors both publically and privately and has opened doors for me in the SS modeling community. I thank him for that.

"Quit being so disingenuous. You threatened to "not talk to Isel for a week" if he hung out with me. What kind of 6th grade punk crap you pulling? Stop talking crap about me to people, blaming me for your current situation, and catch up on your orders."

I took Steve's comment as a joke about not talking to me for a week and mentioned it laughingly with Jason. I want to make sure that it is not construed differently. Obviously the two do not get along, I definitely do not want to be caught in the middle.

I have several kits from Steve and plan on mastering more. He has some exciting stuff coming out in the future. I also respect his molding and casting abilities. My casts of the BR Starfighter, tie fighter, probe droid, and ESB & ROTJ Walkers are clean and crisp. All are beautiful models. He is good at what he does and puts out a quality product. They are worth the wait and affordable for this niche genre.

I also look forward to seeing Jason's kits in the future. Though they may be out of my price range, they are the answer for the hardcore SS builder. I look forward to seeing his progress on the ESB ATST.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back