Fully pose-able METAL ESB AT-ST armature

Steve, I'll believe your cease fire when you stop. You started this crap - and I am simply reacting/defending myself.

However, I thank you for the gesture. I hope this puts things to rest.

But I'm not holding my breath. I'm a realist.

Okay:
silver parts are 1/12 Tamiya Brabham Bt44B
gray parts are 1/700 Tamiya Prince of Wales
green part is the 1/35 Tamiya KV-1 Tank
P1050968.jpg

Everything trimmed and assembled. Still trying to ID the round greeblies that will sit to the left and right of the Bt44B engine bits.
These are exactly as they appear on the real model, with the exception of the one circular part on the right - I centered it, as it was wonky on the original, and it bugged the crap out of me to leave it like that.
P1050969.jpg

Even the gaps are correct as seen on the original, where the trimming of the parts creates an off-kilter line.
P1050969a.jpg

Dusty and undercutty!
P1050971.jpg

And this is a complete testament to how awesome Isel's skills are. Look how close the over all dimensions are!
P1050973.jpg

P1050975.jpg

We are casting up the part that makes up the underside of the head, so that will have to wait a week or two... and as soon as I get the armature in (assuming we did our homework and it all fits!) I will start slapping stuff down.

So if you want to make this fella, go buy the kits mentioned above!

Very cool! Isel was close, and with no back views of the head either :)

Have you seen the wonky blueprints for the ROTJ walker? The area of the back of the head looks very similar to the ESB..it looks like they based the blueprints mostly off of the Brabham kit parts.

The funny thing is, the only ROTJ walker that matches up closely to those blueprints from the back of the head is the full-scale one used for the stationary and cockpit scenes. For some reason they decided to completely do away with the blueprints in regards to the legs and chassis... I heard they lost the documentation on the kit parts used on the ESB, hence going with a new leg and chassis design for the ROTJ. Had that not been the case, we probably would've seen very ESB-looking walkers in Jedi. :)

Awesome Jason, thats looking very cool, man im tempted not to paint mine at all LOL.
For the record i have to agree with J, Isels master pattern, was pretty damn amazing considering the ref he had at the time, i still think he did a wonderful job on this seldom seen (and the cooler of the two IMO) walker props.
Gotta love those Brabhams hehe!

lee

Isel rocks... and he even IDed that round part last night! It's a rare kit, so I'll let him spill the beans if he wants to, but we've conquered the back of the head!

He's graciously sending two of them to me, so I'll cast them up for the builders of this project...

Cool Jason glad you finally got this kit and that it supplies the good part, I was a bit worried of giving a wrong info ! :lol
Does this kit supply more parts ?

I was thinking the same thing bro, i ordered one, but be cool to see some scans of this kit, cant wait to peruse through it! Good find Julien, as always :lol

lee

Hey gang - I will finally have more progress on this fella in the next week or so! I should be able to post pics of the armature parts in the next day or two, and more importantly, we will be able to fit a couple of you into the run.

We're only making 12. That's it. You will need to pay $450 for a FULL metal armature, in the next two/three weeks. If you want "in" and can commit to the cost, email me:

jason at jasoneaton.com

The metal is being ordered, locking in the run/machine shop's time - it's GO TIME!

As I said before, I will be able to send armature buyers only some of the more expensive parts, in resin, for free (just pay actual shipping). I've made molds of some of the parts (some of the pictured stuff is for other models in-progress too - these aren't all ESB ATST related.. I have 5 molds going at once, heh):

P1060216.jpg

Try not to faint - I know I'm having a hard time keeping my composure together right now!!! I think we have one slot left open :)

WOOOOOOO

proto1.jpg

That looks amazing all put together!

The only niggles I have besides what Isel mentioned is that the diameter of the milled holes to the front and back upper legs look like they are too small seeing as such a small snap ring is being used. The first pic you posted at the beginning of the thread shows the difference. The rest looks perfect though. Very cool :thumbsup

I wonder how much interest could be drummed up for a ROTJ version in the future?

Last edited:
The only niggles I have besides what Isel mentioned is that the diameter of the milled holes to the front and back upper legs look like they are too small seeing as such a small snap ring is being used. The first pic you posted at the beginning of the thread shows the difference.

Which hardly matters because the legs will be covered with donor kit parts.

Its a thing of beauty, easily the coolest SS project ive had the pleasure and priveledge of working on TBH.
Huge thank you to Allan, without his tech, his ability to "see" this rare walker and his skills in drawing the files, this would be a non starter, thanks buddy:)
Man, im soooo stoked to get to work on this soon, its been an age of ID'ing and collecting kits with you guys, and finally, this project is bearing the sweetest fruit....at last, an accurate TESB walker..thanks to Jason for doing the running and taking late night phone calls too :lol, you rock!

lee

Wow that's just awesome !

That's great to have seen the Allan's drawings become a physical object !
Thanks Allan, Lee and Jason to make this a reality ! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back