Jedi Comlink - Need help to identify components

the.rebel.agent

Sr Member
I am willing to do one of them as a side project (Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode I). But I wanted to do it like the prop department did. A cast from the Gillette Sensor Excel Razor for Women with the proper fixes. We also know about the parts identified in http://www.partsofsw.com/Ep_1/quicom.htm, but I am looking for the others ones without a name. So I scanned a good image from Star Wars Fact File:

img008.jpg

High resolution photo here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/the.rebel.agent/StarWarsFactFile/photo#5182972240034725730

I will really appreciate your help
smiley2.gif

During spring cleaning, I found two or three of the bodies in my girl's bathroom cabinet if you need one.

Why not just scratch build the parts you can't find?

During spring cleaning, I found two or three of the bodies in my girl's bathroom cabinet if you need one.

Why not just scratch build the parts you can't find?
Cause I would prefer assembly it with the found parts, as I always do all my props (when It is possible, of course) And thanks, but I have two Gillette bodies right now.

That's not the screen used design. In the movie Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have the same comlink.

IIRC - the piece on the back of that black comlink pictured was some sort of security key (ie to turn lights on and off in a public building like a school).

That's not the screen used design. In the movie Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have the same comlink.

IIRC - the piece on the back of that black comlink pictured was some sort of security key (ie to turn lights on and off in a public building like a school).
I know that. Despite of that, I want to build a replica of this one. The one you are talking about was used during the rest of the prequel. I have various images showing it, but none of them are good reference images. They some kind of weird arrangement for the antennas. Will scan that page and post it back.:thumbsup

I did a lot of searching for these parts back when the original photos came out. I saw several "keys" in a University parts catalog that looked VERY close. The keys I saw were in fact used to adjust the lighting in large auditoriums.

-Ss

The screen used was the one that Lian is holding in his hand:

img011.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/the.rebel.agent/StarWarsFactFile/photo#5183158375327399826

And here is another photo from Obi-Wan Kenobi Episode II Belt:

img012.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/the.rebel.agent/StarWarsFactFile/photo#5183158628730470306

There are some common components. So I guess Qui-Gon´s comlink will be the base for the screen used one. And I am pretty sure Obi-Wan gave one of those to R2 in ROTS.

Those propeller things are called "Solder Lugs"
Seastrom makes them, but you have to custom order the correct size in 100 units or more, since the ones they sell are slightly larger than the ones used on the prop. You need to get the catalog to explain what type you want. http://www.seastrom-mfg.com/
For all the trouble involved it would be cheaper to scratch make them out of styrene sheets.

The funny knobs were made using a regular electric drill.
The hole where the drill bit goes into. You move the holding pins about by loosening and tightening the drill- Once you got the inner holding pins in the right spot. You cookie-cutter press it down onto a piece of sculpty, and you get that same design.
Yes they sell beads with the same sort of design, but I've yet to find a set that matches the results of the drill-press trick.

The funny knobs were made using a regular electric drill.
The hole where the drill bit goes into. You move the holding pins about by loosening and tightening the drill- Once you got the inner holding pins in the right spot. You cookie-cutter press it down onto a piece of sculpty, and you get that same design.
Yes they sell beads with the same sort of design, but I've yet to find a set that matches the results of the drill-press trick.
Oh my god! was that simple? No really...Funny indeed. I will try and would be wise to get a mold to cast them in resin later. :rolleyes

PS: Something like that right?
http://www.craftking.com/crafthtml/tri.htm

I really appreciated your post!

Last edited:
If take a look at them (E-Clips) you will see that the shape looks very close. The tri-beads looks so rounded and the drill stuff, don't know, tried 2 of them and they don't look like the original one. Can't wait to go to the hardware store and buy a couple of them.

eclip2uv.jpg

HPIZ245.jpg

I have one of those razor bodies at home and I was wondering how in the world do you paint the rubber grip part? No paint I know of will stick to that.

I have one of those razor bodies at home and I was wondering how in the world do you paint the rubber grip part? No paint I know of will stick to that.
It is apparently silicone. It think it would be best to cast it.

I know of one builder who stabilized it with polyester resin. He coated the pattern with only a thin layer of resin. Then he cut/filed/ground the grip thinner and fiberglassed the back.

There are razors with plastic grip also, but these have a different pattern that is not screen-accurate.

That's exactly the one I have and the grips feels like silicone rubber indeed.

image001.jpg

My only concern will be how to get a mold of them using RTV silicone if they are silicone rubber. Never tried before. Any ideas? My plan was to remove the Gillette brand by sanding, cut the border grip and fill the gap. the cover the back grip with epoxy clay or something. Remove the blade... and fill the gap. What do you think guys?

Ps: I was able to buy 2 set of e-clips in two dimensions. I will play with them and post back.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back