TIE Bomber Scratchbuild - Pic Intensive!! 5.5 MB

imaginager

Sr Member
First, I'd like to acknowledge a few people for their generosity and sharing. Lee (ralphee), Phil (tk1608) and Eric (ckwanwoo): THANKS! My appreciation also goes out to those folks who posted various finds and theories in the, now fragmented, TIE Bomber thread.

I started this build just before Halloween last year and finished it the week before Thanksgiving. It's a relatively straightforward project that comes together quickly. But, if you're like me and order kits as you go, and need to wait for a vintage Yamato and Shinano to pop up on eBay, then it can take a little more time... :lol

Well, I suppose we should just dive into the build pics. Of course, you gotta start somewhere. And, that might just as well be the wings. I made a template and cut sheet styrene into the necessary sections, glued, puttied and sanded.

0.jpg

The parts attached to the outer hub remain a mystery to me, so I just scratched them. I also put them on both sides, 'cause I was having so much fun and got carried away.

0a.jpg

Oh, this build may have gone quicker if I hadn't made as many mistakes as I did, or if I'd been happier with initial results. Here you can see a slight boo-boo with the first pilot dome and the replacement.

1.jpg

Not much to tell here. But, I thank Lee kindly for the opportunity to hack up his AF Sat Vs...

2a.jpg

Pilot fuse is good to go!

3.jpg

Yikes, I almost forgot; Richard (REL) found this part:

4.jpg

To make the bases for the wing pylons, I just layered up some sheet styrene.

4a.jpg

Installed flush in the wing trench.

4c.jpg

Next came the pylons. Amazing what you can do with just a few sq inches of sheet styrene and lots of patience.

4d.jpg

Now, if I can just get the 5/8" tube to fit inside... :unsure :lol

4e.jpg

Amazing how hard this DYMO tape is to find, now. I went to three office supply stores, and finally had to go to an old, local shop to get the good stuff.

5.jpg

In reality this is from my second set of tubes. A slight measuring and scaling problem with those tiny pics in Chronicles, and my shortsightedness in not test fitting some kit parts necessitated REWORK.

6.jpg

Similar deal with this puppy. The one in this pic was a nice placeholder. But, ultimately, just wasn't up to snuff. I ordered gray ABS, BTW. Does that look like gray ABS to anyone? C'mon, Plastruct, pay attention. :)

7.jpg

Picture tells a thousand (swear) words.

8.jpg

That's better...

9.jpg

Greeble-ized

10.jpg

11.jpg

There's a funny story about having two 1/24 AF Harriers, but only being able to find one seat ejection rail. It wasn't so funny at the time. But, you know, a few sq inches of styrene and hey...

13.jpg

This pic is reason enough to buy the Backlot Studios kit! And, that's only a "few" of the kits you'll actually need... (that size drill is overkill for such a modest project, but I did use it to relieve cranial pressure a few times...)

14.jpg

Now, what am I supposed to do with all this stuff?

15.jpg

Oh, yeah....

16.jpg

17.jpg

I have no idea how accurate this turned out... I can see the back in my reference. But the front...not so much. :confused

18.jpg

Oh, here we go again. This is what happens when you start to get too invested in your builds. At 2am. After a little too much caffeine. For the REWORK, if I'd had the ABS pieces, I would have approached this a little differently. But, acrylic isn't fun stuff. So I cut through the edge of the rim and backfilled with scribed styrene. Sanded smooth.

19.jpg

19a.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Now, how in the hell am I going to mount this thing?? I had no clear idea until this moment.

22.jpg

Five-minute epoxy. A two-part miracle.

23.jpg

Finally, reached a point where I could do something fun!

24.jpg

25.jpg

Steve Neisen didn't think I shoulda painted it... Purists.

26.jpg

Masking these wings was a dream. The solar panel edges make a perfect straightedge for the ol' Exacto.

27.jpg

Wow. That was easy. Where's my dullcoat? :eek

28.jpg

Almost...

29.jpg

That concludes the build portion of the program. Now, onto the display. Discriminating viewers will likely notice a few inconsistencies in the application of one or two parts. Yeah, I can only buy so many Hanomags. I may fix that later. Then again. Also, the pics toward the bottom were actually taken earlier than the others. There was still a bit of painting to finish when they were snapped.

[/commentary]

tb1.jpg

tb1a.jpg

tb2.jpg

tb3.jpg

tb4.jpg

tb5.jpg

tb6.jpg

tb7.jpg

tb8.jpg

tb10.jpg

tb11.jpg

tb12.jpg

tb13.jpg

tb14.jpg

tb15.jpg

tb16.jpg

tb17.jpg

The end. Thanks for looking!

Allan

Last edited:
Allan

'bout time you posted this stellar build up lol. Thats about the best bomber out there, though Phil also knocked this one out the park.
Its also very nice to see this one its its true form, not cruddy resin.
You now own two of what i like to call benchmark TIE's buddy, your TESB fighter will for me, never be equalled, and now with this bomber, man you raised the bar lol.

lee

O.M.G.!!!! :eek

Gotta love the Tie Bomber. Such a cool ship and your skills do it justice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very happy to have been some help, Lovin your work there Allan. Great to see it finished and it looks fantastic !!
Really like the posable stand too.

Cheers

Phil tk1608

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back