Vader's TRUE ROTJ saber (re-examined)!!

I always thought I saw an MPP in ROTJ, I never had faith in my theory though as everyone here had chalked it off as a barbicon saber.........LOL. Glad to see I wasn't just "green" at the time. I believe we had a discussion about it on the original replica prop board eons ago.

Dave :)

See, THIS is the RPF I remembered and loved :)

Very interesting indeed. Hopefully with the HD version out more screen caps can help as well.

Thought I'd post this here for everyone.
Definitive proof that the ESB saber was still around for ROTJ.

vader_esb_rotjsaber.jpg

ROTJ publicity still and saber closeup.
The saber is a little less in focus than the red backdrop ESB Vader pic someone else posted before, but still identifiable (including wires).
Thumbnail of the main image is only posted for overall context. It's from the same photo session as the pic Gino posted to start this thread - ROTJ era with ROTJ troopers carrying ROTJ guns (I'm certain at least 2 of them are women). The saber is not scaled down.

The one most people think of as the rotj saber was actually used in all 3 ot films as a dueling saber and only had the blade severed post rotj filming.

Gino, I don't think this statement is actually true on all acounts. No graflexs were used as stunt sabers in ANH. The Luke stunt and DV stunts were made out of aluminum tubing that had the front end cut with a s-slope and which was dressed up with a graflex clamp and button. For the vader scenes the saber was painted black on the tip, and for the luke scenes, no black. But these props were not actually graflex.

You are right about ESB and ROTJ however.

Dan

Last edited:
Great thread! The multiple ROTJ Vader sabers mystery has been quiet for so long and then new info crops up just like that :)

"
Just like that, a whopper of a puzzle piece falls smack in my lap. I'm too dumb to put the whole picture together yet, but..."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we need to come to some concensus (sp?) about how to refer to what we previously referred to as the Vader ROTJ lightsaber (the one in From SW to Indy, the one MR released as the ROTJ, you know the one...). Once we get a new name, sticky that bugger for a few months until we get some uniformity in our discussions.

I, for one, adore the above mentioned as yet unnamed saber, and would love some more pics/evidence of it in the films, though I doubt I'll get my wish!

Here's something that I've been thinking about for awhile.

I think it is totally possible that the same hero MPP ANH saber actually became the ESB/ROTJ hero saber as well. As far as I know, we don't have any knowledge of an MPP based stunt/dueling saber. I'm thinking it makes sense (given the rarity of the MPP among the other more readily available flashes) that there was only one MPP, and it was the hero for all three films that got altered along the way.

I'm thinking it makes sense (given the rarity of the MPP among the other more readily available flashes) that there was only one MPP, and it was the hero for all three films that got altered along the way.

There were at least 3 MPPs used in the OT.
However I do believe one ANH Vader saber did become the ESB/ROTJ. I refer to this one as the Vader ANH v2 (black angled sidebars in clamp - same as ESB/ROTJ). I think the ESB/ROTJ saber uses the calc bubbles from the ANH v1.

1. Vader ANH (silver straight sidebars) seen in SW Chronicles
2. Vader ANH v2 (black angled sidebars), reused as ESB/ROTJ
3a. Vader Barbican/ROTJ (uses a real MPP clamp, black angled sidebars)
3b. Boba Fett ESB rifle barrel

As you can see we can account for at least 3 MPP clamps in the OT. and at least 2 MPP bodies. The original Vader ANH saber could have become the Fett rifle barrel, but that doesn't explain the 3rd clamp.

PS - MPP's are less rare in the UK and considering all the flashes were probably acquired from the same source, I don't think it's that odd they had several.

Last edited:
Hmmm..... Now that we have access to higher res images of ROTJ (HD broadcast) I was wondering if someone could post an HD screencap of the saber that Vader throws at Luke.

I remember some time ago there was something very odd looking about it.
However, the image was too blurry to make out any real details back then, Maybe a screencap of the HD version might clear up some details.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back