Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

Those are from 2 different shirts, one of them you can see them all the way down the front.

I can actually see the texture in that picture of Ash.

hi there everyone
just want to say that everything on here is awesome. cant wait to start a jacket and a shirt could do with a heads up on what sort of base shirt i need for my dallas/ash one. especially the correct wings etc ive seen the merliners silver wings and could do with some of them they look fantastic any help would be much appreciated.

Somewhere on this site (maybe this forum) I saw someone using a Dickies shirt as a base. The pockets are too small in my opinion.
But you could make new pockets?
Workwear in general can come close.

Confirmation on textured snap fasteners.
I second division 6.
All front buttons on the Kane shirt are textured (daisys?).
I can't speak for the other characters' shirts but definitely Kane's.

Finally had the guts to put that excellent stencil to use:
de39mt.jpg

Will see what it looks like once it's fully dried. Will probably weather and subdue the letters a little later on.

Thanks! Yes, I dyed my sage green MkIII several times, actually. Tried to achieve that screen-perceived color, which, to my eye, has a purpleish hue. Started with a navy blue dye, which barely changed the jacket color... did it again, and tried a purple dye after that... which gave the green a greyish-brown tone... which actually has some purple in it when photographed in indirect lighting...

Make any sense? Not to me either. I guess it was a bout of trial and... well, trial, actually.

If you are going to dye yours, you might as well skip the blue dye. The purple dye will probably not affect the jacket much - military garments have very durable colour - so there's little to no chance to ruin the jacket. Your mileage may wary, of course. The above worked for me, don't know how other jackets will react to dye!

cheers for your words of wisdom gatekeeper, which patches and wings would you recommend? and what process did you use for your NOSTROMO lettering? i might go with a stencil as i have a friend that can sort me a vinyl stencil out.

You're very welcome. IMO, there are really two options for patches - forum members TheMechanic and Merliner made very nice and accurate Nostromo patches and wings. I believe they're all out though, so you might want to ask around if anyone might have spares to offer.

Back logo was made with Mike Rush's excellent vinyl stencil.

Also, if you haven't done so already - take some time to read through this thread. There's a lot of valuable info and input re: ALIEN uniforms in it, as well as great how-to tips and leads to where to get stuff. You might also want to check out the Nostromo thread over at Alien Legacy board :)

Last edited:
Comparing my 1980s Thinking Cap cap with a more screen-accurate version I put together (pre-distressing). The challenge in distressing the cap is that they are made with better materials these days.

caps.jpg

Good job on this shirt! One point though; the shirts close left side over right. As in the Kane pic, the 'male' snap is on the right and the female snap is on the left. :cool

Thanks Gatekeeper I need feedback like this.

Yes you're right - I need closed snaps for the buttons.

There is a kane photo where the epaulette snaps appear open in contrast to the closed snaps for buttons.
Anyone spot that?

View attachment 284511

1000 brownie points for picking that up Banzai88!
: )

I knew that from my sewing teacher - how did you know that?
That shirt was made for a female so we took liberty.
I never checked Ripley's shirt. It's male as well right?

BTW - have you ever tried on a shirt with female buttons? It feels completely unnatural for a bloke.
:p

Howdy folks!

I just a pair of PF Flyers and was wondering if anyone had spare screw-on metal binding posts. I'll need 36 of them. Did anyone buy in bulk and now have leftovers they'd like to part with for a jingle of coin? Thanks in advance!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back