Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

Would you suggest procuring a stencil and painting it myself?

Because my initial plan was to contact a custom garment business and have them print it on using whatever happens to be the best process. For this option, I would need a jpeg or some other image file that is essentially identical to that stencil but suitable for them to base their process on. I tried to make it using a word processor, complete with curving text, but I couldn't get the spacing between characters right.

Any tips on the stencil application to get the cleanest edges.
Place the open jacket over a board, or stiff plastic to keep it flat. This also helps control any "bleed thru" from the paint.
Center stencil over jacket and mark the corners with white chalk.
Peel and stick stensil using corner guide marks.
Use a squeegee or credit card to smooth out any bubbles in the stencil, pushing from the center / outwards.
Dry brush paint from the edges of the letters toward the center. Mine took three or four light layers to look good.
J

Place the open jacket over a board, or stiff plastic to keep it flat. This also helps control any "bleed thru" from the paint.
Center stencil over jacket and mark the corners with white chalk.
Peel and stick stensil using corner guide marks.
Use a squeegee or credit card to smooth out any bubbles in the stencil, pushing from the center / outwards.
Dry brush paint from the edges of the letters toward the center. Mine took three or four light layers to look good.
J

Thanks Jeff. I pick mine up from the seamstress on Wed of this week.. LOL Just in time! Do you heat set your stencil???

Wow, Flexserve...that jacket was an accident:facepalm I mean, just to put metal eyelets to pass the laces through would've been an improvement...barely:rolleyes

Thanks Jeff. I pick mine up from the seamstress on Wed of this week.. LOL Just in time! Do you heat set your stencil???

I usually heat it a bit with a hair dryer.

Once you have it centered apply tape (low tack like blue painters tape) to the top edge to keep everything aligned.
Flip up then carefully remove the paper, now carefully lay the stencil down center first then work your way out to the edges.
Heat it as you squidgy it down then again lightly on the edges after the app paper is removed.
Light coats, brushing from edge inward to help avoid bleeding under the edges.

I think I did 5-6 coats on mine since I used yellow on green.
If you are doing yellow on a dark background like brown or black a base coat of white may help since yellow is probably the hardest color to apply.

Wow, Flexserve...that jacket was an accident:facepalm I mean, just to put metal eyelets to pass the laces through would've been an improvement...barely:rolleyes
Yeah, I wouldn't have said anything negative, but I've seen a page where she is trying to sell this cr*p for $200.00 USD a piece (However, I cannot find the page with the price any longer; it's when I was looking for my MK3 Jacket I stumbled upon it)

I will post pictures of mine after I get it back on Wednesday this week. (I can't wait!)

Okay: So as a disclaimer I'm not looking to replicate any of the Nostromo uniforms exactly as I'm doing my own web miniseries set in a familiar "used future" ( http://www.therpf.com/f9/last-flight-freya-7-props-sets-models-miniseries-191376/), so all of my uniforms are for a ship called the Freya 7 and are circa 2180. Nonetheless I am attempting to be as faithful to the detailing of the originals as I can because they are near and dear to my heart.

Here is the sleeve of one of my coats:

A clearer shot of the back (from before the sleeves were done obviously):

And a leather jacket (ala Parker) in progress, the first coat in white:

I've made a patch for the ship that is clearly inspired by the Nostromo's, but distinct as well.

Remember with all of this that is for a movie shoot, so the wear and tear is a little "over the top" looking so that it will read on camera.

Thanks guys! Snark or Leviathan would both be awesome jackets to do. When I'm all done with my project I still may do a Nostromo, just for the fun of it. Right now I'm trying to fade some pink piping for the collars but damn that stuff is tenacious!

Nick: how's this for weathered?

Great work bud !

(what about the triangular french patch btw... Did you finally use it on a jacket ?)

;)

Indeed I did! I'm so glad you are here to see the reveal as well Fred! This is the uniform for Jean-Pierre Broussard, the ship's engineer:

You will see that I put a weathered and faded version on the jacket, and a much crisper one on his shirt. The shirt still needs the pink piping but I wanted to get a photo up quick.

Also of note are the compression laces on the sleeves. This is a huge change from Parker's coat of course, but i was having so much fun making the laces on other coats that I couldn't help myself. These are done with metal "quick lace" loops and give the jacket a very distinctive look.

Resting on Broussard's shirt is his trusty Cusenier auto-verseur for preparing a glass of the green fairy. I was trying to think of an original visual to compliment the drinking birds and perpetual motion machines we see in the first three Alien films, and the "see-saw" action of this dripper immediately came to mind.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back