Robot Monster ( DONE! )

Robot Monster

Sr Member
Starting up my very own Robot Monster costume. I have the ape suit on the way from e-bay and need to start the helmet. If anyone has ideas on creating it please post. I will be doing it in a style closer to the poster which I will have on the wall at my party.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Monster

8479203.jpeg

Last edited:
Re: Robot Monster

Just started the helmet.

I took a large beach ball and started to cover it in plaster bandages. It's big enough to cover my whole head. I will build it up to form a hard shell and then pop the beach ball and remove it where the neck is going to be.

I am looking at using a similar technique for the neck brace. I am looking at taking a plastic work bucket wrapping in in plastic wrap then covering with the plaster bandages. once it dries I hope to separate it and then trim and attach to the top piece. The bucket has nice straight sides so along with the plastic wrap should slide free.

Tek

Re: Robot Monster

Ok here is the first pic, not much but it's a start.

This is the start of the helmet. I will start trimming and working on the bottom half. Of course lots of shaping and sanding to do after this. I have a paste like product I can put on it to give it a more smooth finish.

5546781.jpeg

Last edited:
Re: Robot Monster ( pics of the build )

New device for the costume. I grabbed a voice box from Wal-Mart so I can now have an alien voice. I'll mount it in the helmet.

Tonight making the lower part of the helmet.

Not happy with the lower part of the helmet. Going to rethink it.

Popped the rubber ball and removed it. Lots of plaster dust in there. Cleaned it out and put a plastic cast of spray on it inside, to help with the dust.

Did another coat of Sculpt or Coat on it on the outside so I get an even finish when I sand. Cut out the neck and face holes.

Tek

Last edited:

Working on the bottom half.

I used a bucket for the form but the first time I forgot about putting in a seperator with the plaster bandages. I had to cut it off the bucket then put the seperator between the bucket and the plaster.

This is my second try at it. I remembered the plastic bag this time.

2105859.jpeg

Used a compass to make the lines of the helmet and then used a knife to cut it out . Worked out very well.

2245316.jpeg

Started to build up a layer of the sculpt and coat

2399607.jpeg

Last edited:

Ok joined up the helmet to the base. Everything is going to get another layer of the Sculpt and Coat and then I will try to sand it out. I need to trim the neck brace but I will wait until it's fitted.

1872327.jpeg

Last edited:

I see in the crystal ball that weirdness is in your future.But It not a bad thing:angel

Added gizmos to neck and ears. Need to figure out where I want to do with the face plate. Do I want to do plastic or a light screen for that area. Might go with screen so I get more air into it.

Went with the black cloth for the faceplate. I really could not breathe any other way. Will post the final shots shortly.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back