Evil Dead Necronomicon build

Metaluna mutant

Sr Member
I've decided to make an Evil Dead Necronomicon. There's a plethora of Necronomicon builds out there, and some very cleverly use a wooden "storage book" as a basis. However, I want to be able to add actual pages later, as an ongoing thing, so you could flip through it at some point.

I'm mostly using this tutorial here, which uses an old fashioned screw bolt album and super sculpey. That means you can add pages later.

I was torn between the original ED style cover - a simple "ghastly face"
evildeadnecronomicon.jpg

or the more complicated design used in Army of Darkness
necronomiconarmyofdarkness.png

which is more complex and, I think, more sinister because the face - actually two faces - are more subtle.

So, in the best traditions of indecisiveness, I think I may do both -- AOD on one side, flip the book over and see the simpler one on the reverse cover.

The best way to start a Necronomicon build is to defile something.

So I purchased lovely pink leatherette covered album -- and used a Xacto knife flay it, leaving only the cardboard guts.
IMG_0232.JPGIMG_0231.JPG

Unlike Jamie Gumm, I tossed the covers.

I got out the Super sculpey and decided to start sculpting the AOD cover.

Here's the rough up

IMG_0230.JPG

With the outlines of the "double face" roughed in, I can start smoothing it out with 90% rubbing alcohol. The I can add much finer details.

AOD face baked and ready to prime

IMG_0238.JPG

I'm putting it aside to work on the flip-side, which will be the other ED face

Here's the other face, starting to rough in details

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0247.JPGIMG_0248.JPG

Both primed, and then painted a generic dark reddish brown and just gave both a black wash which is still a bit wet in spots.

Tomorrow after they've dried, I'll dry brush several lighter reddish-brown tones onto the many ridges for some more depth.

I've black washed both covers and done some light touchups.

IMG_0258.JPG
Here's the assembled version.

Here's the finished covers closeup.

IMG_0259.JPGIMG_0260.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 196
Very cool! Glad to see the army of darkness version of the Necronomicon get some love.

Thanks! While I found umpteen tutorials for the ED versions, I always preferred the AOD version. It's more ominous and eerie because it has two faces weirdly blended and the faces are more subtle and not quite as pronounced.

The album itself is empty. I've found a bunch of web pages with Evil Dead "Necronomicon" pages. Some are authentic to the various films, some are purely made up. I'll start browsing these to fill the album itself.

If anyone wants to do this, I recommend it. It was an easy build. Just one screw bolt Album, 2 chunks of super Sculpey (mine took about 1 1/2 pounds) and some acrylic primer (remember - use acrylic to prime baked sculpey not oil based!). I gave it a brown paint job, when a thinned black wash. I drybrushed some ligher colors on some raised edges to pop
the details. If you see a mistake on the baked clay, just black wash it a little more heavily. Done!

One thing I think I'd change was that I wrapped some of the Sculpey over the edges to give a feeling that the "hide" was pinned on or over a cover. Next time, I think I'd simply leave a 1/2 inch plain spot between the where the clay thins out (the face) and the cover's edge. While the lumpy edges look nice, if I drop it on the edge I think it might crack.

Otherwise, this was a fun and simple build -- and since it's supposed to be a gnarled and battered leather skin cover, you can be messy and asymmetrical and it looks even better.

As for now, the dread tome goes on display at the public library where I work.This was a rush job, as I wanted to finish it quickly. I have a display there this month with various movie props I've collected with tags on each to "Guess the Movie".

Next year, I plan on having an exhibit of "Books that don't Exist" with things like this and other famous (but nonexistent) books mentioned in other works -- like the Handbook for the Recently Deceased, Tobins Spirit Guide, The BTTF 1950-2000 Sports Almanac and the plethora of Harry Potter stuff etc.

Thanks to everyone for looking and remember:

KLAATU BARADA..nnnnn...nickle, necktie...uhhh...its was definitely an "N' word...

Thanks! While I found umpteen tutorials for the ED versions, I always preferred the AOD version. It's more ominous and eerie because it has two faces weirdly blended and the faces are more subtle and not quite as pronounced.

The album itself is empty. I've found a bunch of web pages with Evil Dead "Necronomicon" pages. Some are authentic to the various films, some are purely made up. I'll start browsing these to fill the album itself.

If anyone wants to do this, I recommend it. It was an easy build. Just one screw bolt Album, 2 chunks of super Sculpey (mine took about 1 1/2 pounds) and some acrylic primer (remember - use acrylic to prime baked sculpey not oil based!). I gave it a brown paint job, when a thinned black wash. I drybrushed some ligher colors on some raised edges to pop
the details. If you see a mistake on the baked clay, just black wash it a little more heavily. Done!

One thing I think I'd change was that I wrapped some of the Sculpey over the edges to give a feeling that the "hide" was pinned on or over a cover. Next time, I think I'd simply leave a 1/2 inch plain spot between the where the clay thins out (the face) and the cover's edge. While the lumpy edges look nice, if I drop it on the edge I think it might crack.

Otherwise, this was a fun and simple build -- and since it's supposed to be a gnarled and battered leather skin cover, you can be messy and asymmetrical and it looks even better.

As for now, the dread tome goes on display at the public library where I work.This was a rush job, as I wanted to finish it quickly. I have a display there this month with various movie props I've collected with tags on each to "Guess the Movie".

Next year, I plan on having an exhibit of "Books that don't Exist" with things like this and other famous (but nonexistent) books mentioned in other works -- like the Handbook for the Recently Deceased, Tobins Spirit Guide, The BTTF 1950-2000 Sports Almanac and the plethora of Harry Potter stuff etc.

Thanks to everyone for looking and remember:

KLAATU BARADA..nnnnn...nickle, necktie...uhhh...its was definitely an "N' word...

I love the look of the army of darkness version too, It just has the perfect evil vibe lol. I've made several necronomicons myself but never have done the army of darkness version.
Your painting on the cover looks great, you really captured that old antique leather look. Have you ever considered using real leather on your cover? I made a ash vs evil dead version using real leather and I'm very happy with the results. Also I've re-drawn/painted most of the pages from all the movies and tv show, so if there are a few specific pages you're looking for let me know and I could send you some scans. Keep up the good work.GEDC0070.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back